• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Gothenem said:
If you hand't thought of a title for the entiries. "The Easter eggs have hatched." might work.

Not bad. :D

I've added the Maztican dragon to the CC.

RavinRay

Explorer
Oh joy! I've been waiting ages for the pink.

Subtype: Should it have an elemental subtype at all?
HD: With the rattelyr having the fewest HD with just 2d12 at wyrmling, 1d12 for pink is really, really low. So yes, it should have the Tiny size progression as well.
AC: Should be equal to HD, since I've never seen a dragon with 0 or negative natural AC before.
Breath weapon: The effect is blindness, but the penalties also resemble those of being sickened although the -6 penalty is much more severe.
Spells: This is weird. Will we let it cast higher level spells, perhaps as a bard? Or are we going to restrict it to low level illusionist spells and only let its Cha bonus determine the number of spells per day it can cast, without any base number of spells per day?
Aura: No frightful presence here. Should it have any alternatives?
Spell-like Abilities: Any? Tasha's Hideous Laughter?

Shade

Monster Junkie
RavinRay said:
Subtype: Should it have an elemental subtype at all?

Possibly not. If so, I think Air is probably the most likely.

RavinRay said:
HD: With the rattelyr having the fewest HD with just 2d12 at wyrmling, 1d12 for pink is really, really low. So yes, it should have the Tiny size progression as well.

Cool.

RavinRay said:
AC: Should be equal to HD, since I've never seen a dragon with 0 or negative natural AC before.

Yeah, let's stick with equal to HD.

RavinRay said:
Breath weapon: The effect is blindness, but the penalties also resemble those of being sickened although the -6 penalty is much more severe.

Gothenem said:
As for the breath, I would think both Blinded and Sickened.

I agree on using both conditions.

We might also be able to find inspiration in the rod of spheres from Player's Guide to Faerun:

"sole function of a rod of spheres is to create large, transparent bubbles, each with a radius of 3 feet. These bubbles glow softly, giving off light equivalent to that of a candle. The bubbles float along gently at a speed of 20 feet per round as directed by the wielder of the rod, and each can hold up to 140 pounds of creatures or items. Any object within a bubble is protected from exposure to the elements (rain, wind, snow, or the like, though the bubbles provide no special bonuses or resistances against energy attacks) and is affected as if by a feather fall spell should it fall more than 10 feet. The bubbles last up to 8 hours or until ruptured. A bubble is not a prison; any intelligent being that is not securely bound can break a bubble with ease."

RavinRay said:
Spells: This is weird. Will we let it cast higher level spells, perhaps as a bard? Or are we going to restrict it to low level illusionist spells and only let its Cha bonus determine the number of spells per day it can cast, without any base number of spells per day?

I kinda like the quirkiness of it gaining one 1st-level (or cantrip) from the sor/wiz list at each age category.

RavinRay said:
Aura: No frightful presence here. Should it have any alternatives?

Hmmm....perhaps something similar to Mammon's brand from the Brand of the Nine Hells feat?

"If you attack an opponent with more HD than you, you automatically begin to project an aura of pity in a 30-foot-radius around you. All creatures in this area must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your HD + your Cha modifier) or take a -2 penalty on attacks against you. They see you as weak, pathetic, and barely worth the effort of slaying."

RavinRay said:
Spell-like Abilities: Any? Tasha's Hideous Laughter?

I could see that one. Others might include touch of idiocy, feeblemind, tongues.

Gothenem

Explorer
Shade said:
Possibly not. If so, I think Air is probably the most likely.

I don't think it needs a subtype.

Shade said:
Yeah, let's stick with equal to HD.

Agreed

Shade said:
I kinda like the quirkiness of it gaining one 1st-level (or cantrip) from the sor/wiz list at each age category.

Like at each age category, it gets to choose one spell from the Sor/Wiz list and use that as a SLA 1/day? Or treat them more like spells. Perhaps we can glean from the Duskblade's ability to select from a certain cantrip list x times per day (where x=Age category), and the list has one spell per age category.

Shade said:
Hmmm....perhaps something similar to Mammon's brand from the Brand of the Nine Hells feat?

"If you attack an opponent with more HD than you, you automatically begin to project an aura of pity in a 30-foot-radius around you. All creatures in this area must make a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your HD + your Cha modifier) or take a -2 penalty on attacks against you. They see you as weak, pathetic, and barely worth the effort of slaying."

I like it!

Shade said:
I could see that one. Others might include touch of idiocy, feeblemind, tongues.

Agreed. Mordenkainen's Buzzing Bee leaps out at me too.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Gothenem said:
Like at each age category, it gets to choose one spell from the Sor/Wiz list and use that as a SLA 1/day? Or treat them more like spells. Perhaps we can glean from the Duskblade's ability to select from a certain cantrip list x times per day (where x=Age category), and the list has one spell per age category.

Yeah, we could work from that.

Gothenem said:
Agreed. Mordenkainen's Buzzing Bee leaps out at me too.

Did that one make it into the Spell Compendium, or is it just in the Mini's Handbook? Either way, we'll probably need to summarize it or offer a replacement for core-only folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads