• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting True Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothenem

Explorer
Looks good to me. Only thing I saw that needed some attention was a few formatting snafu's in the Charts, but those are ignorable.

What's next?

Shade

Monster Junkie
It being April, why the pink dragon, of course. :p

Pink Dragon
Created by: Jeanne McGuire
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any
FREQUENCY: Really, really rare
ORGANIZATION: Family group
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Carnivore
INTELLIGENCE: High
TREASURE: E
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic neutral
NO. APPEARING: 1-4
ARMOR CLASS: 2
MOVEMENT: 9, Fly 18 (B)
HIT DICE: 6-8
THAC0: 15 (6 HD) or 13 (7-8 HD)
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3 (claw/claw/bite)
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-6/1-6/3-18
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Breath weapon, possible spell use
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Possible spell use
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
SIZE: L (up to 36' long)
MORALE: Average (10)
XP VALUE: 650 to 2,000

Pink dragons can be found almost anywhere, most frequently in some form of underground lair. Many hapless adventurers have been fatally fooled by the dragon's dopey appearance and delicate pink coloration. Pink dragons love to talk, but they are prone to eat those who do not laugh at their jokes.

The breath weapon of the pink dragon is highly unusual. A special stomach serves to mix fatty secretions with a fluid closely resembling lye. The resulting goop produces the breath weapon, a bubble cloud similar to that produced by a horn of bubbles. This cloud is 60' long, 50' wide, and 20' high, and it lasts 2-12 rounds. Anyone trapped in this cloud is painfully
blinded for 4-16 rounds due to soap in his eyes, making magic virtually impossible to cast; this places a -6 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, and damage (1 hp damage minimum), and negates dexterity bonuses to armor class. Movement is random as the affected person stumbles around. A successful save vs. breath weapon indicates that the character closed his eyes before the soap affected them, in which case only the normal penalties for fighting blind apply, without the distraction caused by the pain of the soap in the eyes. If the victim's eyes are protected, as by goggles, the obscuring effects alone are operative, giving only a -2 modifier to hit for as long as the bubbles last. There is no saving throw against the obscurement effect, as the cloud also affects infravision and ultravision. When the bubble cloud is in place, the dragon merely closes his transparent protective third eyelids and, using a batlike sonar, attacks with his highly accurate claw/claw/bite routine.

Those few pink dragons able to use magic (20%) gain one first-level mage spell (as per illusionists), determined randomly, for each stage of growth. If a spell is rolled twice, the dragon is able to use that spell twice per day. Due to the somewhat silly appearance of the pink dragon, it completely lacks any sort of fear aura.

Originally appeared in Dragon #156, "Not Necessarily the Monstrous Compendium", April 1990.

Shade

Monster Junkie
An idea from upthread:

RavinRay said:
I really want to see the pink dragon as a false chromatic dragon, like Krishnath's homebrew pyrite dragon would be a false metallic dragon, and my glass dragon could be re-written as a false gem dragon.

Gothenem

Explorer
I noticed the idea from earlier. I think the pink should have a second breath weapon. Perhaps a cone of chalky-tasting Pepto Bismol.

Heh, I just noticed something:

Pink dragons can be found almost anywhere, most frequently in some form of underground lair.

Huh?

So, based on which dragon?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Gothenem said:
I noticed the idea from earlier. I think the pink should have a second breath weapon. Perhaps a cone of chalky-tasting Pepto Bismol.

:lol:

Heh, I just noticed something:

Gothenem said:
Pink dragons can be found almost anywhere, most frequently in some form of underground lair.

Intentional humor?

Gothenem said:
So, based on which dragon?

Hmmm...its HD are less than every other dragon I've checked from earlier editions. The rattleyr appears to be the absolute weakest 3E dragon, so perhaps we can scale it down a notch (1 HD less at each age category)?

Gothenem

Explorer
Sounds like a good place to start. Rattelyr -1 HD it is.

Should we base other aspects of the Rattelyr (like AC, SR, etc. ??)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads