Converting True Dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Monster Junkie
JiCi said:
If a icthyodrake looks like a fish and hunts like a fish, why does it have a fly speed ?

About a fixed land speed of 20 feet and progressive swim speed instead ?

Oops! I hadn't really modified the tables yet. I posted so I wouldn't lose my work. I've begun revising them, so you'll see some changes.

I think the progressive swim speed is all it needs. Nothing seemed to indicate that they were able to go on land.

For a breath weapon, how about a cone of acidic vapor that deals acid damage (duh) and blinds creatures stuck within the cloud ?

Cool idea, but it was pretty clear that it has a sonic breath weapon in the original writeup.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I followed the sea serpents' progressive swim speeds (Medium to Huge 100 ft., Gargantuan and Colossal 120 ft.)

JiCi

First Post
Shade said:
Cool idea, but it was pretty clear that it has a sonic breath weapon in the original writeup.
Oh, that works too... how about adding a secondary effect, like the emerald and sapphire gem dragons (I think) ? I believe one of them deafens its targets, while the other shakens and/or panics its targets.

How about making the sound disruptive for the targets' lungs, which could force them to make a Constitution check or lose 1 round of held air per age category ?

Some frequencies can make use lose our lunch, so why not our air ?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
MOVE: //15"

Source: Dragon Magazine #134, June 1988.

given that this one came out about a year before 2E's debut...

Monster Manual II (1983) said:
//X" = swimming speed

swim speed was all it was ever meant to have. :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
JiCi said:
Oh, that works too... how about adding a secondary effect, like the emerald and sapphire gem dragons (I think) ? I believe one of them deafens its targets, while the other shakens and/or panics its targets.

How about making the sound disruptive for the targets' lungs, which could force them to make a Constitution check or lose 1 round of held air per age category ?

Some frequencies can make use lose our lunch, so why not our air ?

Once again, cool ideas. Since this one is a straight-up conversion, though, we'll probably just stick with the one breath weapon.

Speaking of the breath weapon, the original's damage was half that of a silver or red in 1E/2E (4d10 vs. 8d10). It did the same max damage as a black dragon from this era. So, should we stick with the black's damage progression, or try halving the red/silver's?

Survival and Swim seem like appropriate class skills. What should be the third?

Many powerful animals have Cha 10. I currently left it at Cha 10 at all age categories. It leaves the frightful presence a bit underwhelming, and it was described as "fearsome". Should we raise it progressively?

How about Wisdom? I currently mimicked the black dragon's progression.

Gothenem

Explorer
Hmmm, I would go with mimicking the black's breath weapon for damage. I'd say keep the Charisma low, and give the guy a +4 racial bonus to the save DC of Frightful presence.

Black Dragon Wisdom seems ok to me.

As for the skills, Hide, Survival, and Swim seem appropriate to me.

RavinRay

Explorer
JiCi said:
Oh, that works too... how about adding a secondary effect, like the emerald and sapphire gem dragons (I think) ? How about making the sound disruptive for the targets' lungs, which could force them to make a Constitution check or lose 1 round of held air per age category ?
Jici, are you reading my mind? :] That's exactly what I did for my homebrew aquatic gem dragon, the aquamarine dragon. So I'll be generous and give it to the ichthyodrake as well.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated in Homebrews.

I think all that's left to decide is the CR. I currently have them matching the CR of a black dragon. While they are larger and have higher Str and Con and higher damage output, they lack spell-like abilities and spellcasting, and have less attack modes. Does this seem like an even tradeoff?

Shade

Monster Junkie
In that case, give it a good lookover, and if nothing seems off, we're ready to move on to the next one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads