Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We’ve been trying to add more salads to the family’s menu. Kinda got into a rut with chef salads, which are very nice, but can get repetitive. So tonight I whipped up a little side salad to go with our dinner of quiche Lorraine and some sliced Opal apples.

I diced up some green onions and carrots, sliced up some Campari tomatoes, and shredded some merlot Bellevitano cheese on top. I tossed that with a homemade vinaigrette of Dijon mustard, roasted garlic infused EVOO, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, tarragon, basil, oregano and chives.

Mom- who is ALL about Ranch dressing- loved it, so I’ll consider that a victory.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My new favorite for dressing/dipping, Comeback Sauce:

1 Tbsp. Grated White Onion (Fresh onion ran over the large holes of a cheese grater)
1 Cup Mayo
3 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
1 Tbsp. Chili Sauce (Siracha or Heinz is a popular choice)
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Dried Mustard
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Pepper
Looks good!

A simple one I devised back in the mid-80s is equal parts yellow mustard and A1 steak sauce, with added Tabasco and black pepper to taste. Great for fries and all kinds of beefy dishes.

And it’s flexible enough that you can substitute pretty much any one ingredient for a close cousin and still get predictably good results. That said, while I’ve tried it with other steak sauces, I’ve never tried it with Worcestershire sauce. I LOVE W-sauce, but I think it’s too thin for this application.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Anybody up in here really know their beans & lentils?

I know SOME beans, and I’m trying to expand into trying lentils. Looking for flavor & preparation similarities.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's Pi Day! Made these years for our annual office party. (Blueberry & cherry)

1000006969.jpg

1000006971.jpg

Remove ads