Core Elements Revised - Horror on the High Seas (Modern)

Spell

First Post
LogicsFate said:
Hmm, I didn't have anything worked out yet, so quick question, wow much does he make in a year

I'm not about to go marry some chump for only 50k :p

baby, you take all my money and give it to another man!!! :p

LogicsFate said:
More seriously though, I could work up someone to be unhappily married too, what would he look for in a women, other than avalibility?

what if your character fell in love with my wife? would that be too great gatsbian?

he could work for a better social position. or for power (having lots of women makes you feel you have power over them... or so i'm told! :p).
there are many reasons to start a relationship... you imagination is the limit!

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Spell said:
so, what happens? do i have to post the whole character, or just the background information and the character idea, and then you work out the statistics for yourself?
post only as much information you want to, but please try to make it complete as possible (on par with D20 Modern) so that I have an easy of an enough time putting my campaign info together.

Spell said:
and: are we free to create characters of any nationality, or do we have to be from somewhere specific? what about their professions and social class? what exactly is the era (or the year!) of play?
Yes, feel free to make your character of any background/nationality that you can think of. As per social class I'm going to use the Wealth system from D20 Modern. So you'll need to pick a starting occupation. I'll also allow the Idle Rich occupation from Sidewinder: Recoiled with a slight modification

Idle Rich
Prereq: Age 18+
Benefit: Choose three of the following skills; Gamble, Intimidate, Knowledge (Business, Civivics, Current Events or Popular Culture), OPerate Vehicle, Ride, add a new Speak Language. You gain a +1 bonus to checks with these skills
Reputation Increases: +1
Wealth Bonus Increase: +6
The game will be set in Summer of 2010, the ship taking off from Miami, Florida, set for the Caribbeans.

Spell said:
does it matter if i'm not very expert with the d20 modern rules? i would really like to play, but i don't want to read the whole SRD :p. on the other hand, having a go to that pdf you linked in the first post wouldn't be a problem. :) in particular, do we have to choose class, feats, and skills, or would just skill do the job? i think all i really want to say is: how detailed (and close to the d20 modern game) you want the character sheet to be?
Not really no, if you have any questions about the character creation process aor what to do next, just leave it to me. I'll be sure to (help you) fill in the blanks.

With Core Elements Revised there are no classes. You will need to choose skills and feats though. Format the character sheet as close as you can get it to D20 Modern.

Spell said:
logicsfate, have you already created your character? should we try and collaborate to create them? do you want to be the husband or the wife?
i'd prefer to be the husband... :p
Actually I'm hoping for a married couple that frequents these board often to join. But you two go ahead if you want to do that.

My question for you, Fru is - how often are you hoping to have your players posting? I'd definately say we're interested, but Kennon's new job is EN World-less and my internet time is somewhat sporadic (though I always end up spending about an hour here every day)...

I don't really know how PbP works... so - sort of give me some details on the nitty-gritty of it. :)

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
My question for you, Fru is - how often are you hoping to have your players posting? I'd definately say we're interested, but Kennon's new job is EN World-less and my internet time is somewhat sporadic (though I always end up spending about an hour here every day)...

I don't really know how PbP works... so - sort of give me some details on the nitty-gritty of it. :)
She asked my question for me. I'm interested, but my time is limited.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
If your time is limited pretty much to postining once or twice during the weekdays that'd be fine. I'd like to be able to update once evry three days at a minimum.

Spell

First Post
my character

ok, here i go. i might have changed some details, and i am sure you will like to add something else, but this is the character concept and all the details i could come up with. if you have any suggestion, question, or whatnot, i'll answer it. after all, it's your game! :)

[sblock]
NAME: Robert White
HEIGHT: 6 foot 1 inch
WEIGHT: 165 pounds
EYES: hazel
HAIR: dark brown
SKIN: white, pale

STR: 14 (+2)
DEX: 11 (+0)
CON: 10 (+0)
INT: 18 (+4)
WIS: 18 (+4)
CHA: 12 (+1)

HP: 16 (10+6+2*CON modifier)
SKILLS: Computer use [2]; concentration [2]; craft (mechanical) [5]; craft (structural) [6]; Craft (visual arts) [1]; Disable device [1]; Gather information [1]; Investigate [1]; Knowlege (technology) [1]; Listen [2]; Repair [1]; Research [2]; Spot [1] (they should add up to 24 skill points)

REVISED SKILLS: since i've lost completely track of what system are we using, i'll have this other entry telling which skill slot i'm talking, with the x4 skill points at first level. i have no idea if this is correct, because, as i said, i don't know if it should follow the d20 modern srd rules or not...
anyway:
balance [2]; bluff [1]; computer use [5]; concentration [3]; craft (mechanical) [6]; craft (structural) [7]; craft (visual arts) [2]; demolitions [2]; diplomacy [1]; disable device [2]; drive [3]; gather information [2]; hide [1]; investigate [2]; knowledge (art) [3]; knowledge (civics) [1]; knowledge (technology) [2]; listen [3]; move silently [1]; read/ write language (french) [2]; repair [2]; research [3]; search [1]; sense motive [1]; speak language (french) [1]; spot [2]; swim [1]

FEATS: i'm not sure if i can have 2 or 3. i will give you a list of five, starting with those i would like to take first, so that, if i should gain another level, you would know automatically what i would like to get. :)
Attentive; Endurance; Builder (mechanical and structural); Far shot; Focused

-BACKGROUND INFORMATION-
Family & Contacts:
Father: Timothy White, mathematician. (born 1947)
Mother: Laura Doyle, school teacher. (born 1953)
Brother (twin): James White. (born 1974, dead 1986)
Contact: Professor Thomas Ryner (in Boston. He used Robert as a young aide in his New Orleans reconsctruction team.); Paul Tenner (in Liverpool. He is an old childhood friend. He and Robert kept in contact throughout the years, first by regular mail, and now by msn and emails.)

Personal History:
Born in Liverpool, uk, the 25th of november 1974.
After a relatively uneventful and quiet childhood, the life of Robert was shaked by the death of his twin, James, in a car accident. Robert broke his right arm in the accident, and her mother broke a leg, but they stayed alive. Robert secretly blamed his father for the death of James, but he never voiced openly his accusations. He was (and still is) afraid of his father, whose insistence and ideas about life and how to live it is a heavy burden to bear.
After the death of James, the Whites moved to Boston. A job offer was the perfect excuse to move aways from Liverpool and their memory filled home. Robert didn't like Boston. He never managed to be accepted by other kids of his age, and found the school boring and meaningless. He developed a love for figurative arts and paintings, but his father's casual mocking of his creations made him uneasy. For that reason, and for the insistence of his parents, Robert decided to enroll in the engineering courses at Harvard. He graduated with honours in 1996.
After some years in apprendiship in the engineering studio of Thomas Ryner, he managed to get a job as naval engineer. By that time, unable to come to compromise with his job to find a place for painting in his life, he decided to never paint again, and to dedicate his life to research and work.

He has published a number of interesting an promising studies that have made him famous in some engineering circles. He has a good job, and a good pay, with excellent prospectives for the future.
He married a month ago to Emily, a secretary of the studio where he is currently working (the Sender & Lewis inc., in Miami), succumbing to the insistences of his parents to "settle down and start a family".

Despite all this success, Robert doesn't love his job any more than he loves his wife Emily. He despises his colleagues and has no much respect for his published works. He feels very lonely and depressed and he has started to drink with alarming regularity. He realises that Emily loves him, but he has lost respect for himself when he decided to give up on painting, feeling that he sold out for money. That lack of respect makes him bitter and aloof. Sometimes he can't help but mistreating Emily for her desire to understand him and to be by his side.

Robert has a battle going on inside him. on one hand, we would really like to forget his past, his bitterness, his grudges with his father, move on and fit in. on the other he would like to have died on James behalf, on that sunday evening of 24 years ago.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Spell, your character looks great. Your abilitiy scores look under average, so go ahead and spread around 4 points however you see fit as well as bumping the Con score up to 10.

Remove ads