• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Corebooks in June!: News from the Alliance Retailer Summit

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Well, between this news and my refreshed love of 3.5 (based on playing a great session), I guess I'll wait for the special editions. Happy birthday, to me...

I hate typos. If I thought it'd work I'd offer my proofreading, free of charge, to everybody that writes gaming books. I can't stand paying $40 for a book and having it look like it was written in a rush.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Rykion said:
Every time I've pre-ordered a gaming book from Amazon, I've ended up canceling because they didn't get the books in until weeks or months after their release. It also often takes 5+ business days for Amazon to ship books that are listed as in-stock when using the free super saver shipping. I wouldn't bet on Amazon getting you the books on day 3, as it could take a lot longer.

Wow. My experience couldn't be more different. Provided they listed it as in stock, I've never had an item take more than a week to get to me from Amazon (with Super Saver Shipping), and rarely that.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Simia Saturnalia said:
Well, between this news and my refreshed love of 3.5 (based on playing a great session), I guess I'll wait for the special editions. Happy birthday, to me...

I hate typos. If I thought it'd work I'd offer my proofreading, free of charge, to everybody that writes gaming books. I can't stand paying $40 for a book and having it look like it was written in a rush.
Start writing John Cooper-style/quality reviews. It worked out for him (and the publishers)!

Howndawg

Explorer
This announcement gives me a Fiddler on the Roof moment.

On the one hand, they've pushed the PHB back a month...

But on the other hand, they've moved the DMG forward a month...

Howndawg

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
SSquirrel said:
I've always hated staggered releases of the core rulebooks. Very happy to have all 3 come out at once.

I really don't understand this. When 3.0 came out I bought the PHB and worked on understanding the rules. Then the DMG came out and I did the same. By the time the MM came out I picked it up and started running games.

There is no way that a day after picking up all three core books I'll be running games for a new system. I'd preferred the previous method with the PHB/DMG/MM order.

dimonic

Explorer
Shame really

Sara_G said:
Cheers Teitan! Glad you had fun!

It is confirmed. Due to customer feedback, we made the decision to release all three core rulebooks in June. Keep on the Shadowfell releases in May. And the Special Edition Core Rulebooks release in October.

I for one would have enjoyed the lead time (and the reduced financial hit) of getting them one at a time. I think it will take a month or two having the books before I will be up to speed to DM a ccampaign anyway, and it would have been nice to have the PH earlier to speed up the whole process. As I see it, If I got the PH in April, I would be gaming in 4th by July. As it is, with everything coming out in June, I will be lucky to be gaming in 4e by August, and that is barring the usual sell outs at my FLGS (who will only be able to afford small shipments, especially as having all three will hurt cash flow, and they will have disappointing sales leading up to that point).

Remove ads