• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Corebooks in June!: News from the Alliance Retailer Summit

Spinachcat

First Post
I think this is going to hit the retailers hard.

1) As mentioned upthread, it's a lot of cash up front for a store.

One book per month let them do two things - refill their war chest to order more and use the Big Event of the book coming out to entice people to buy extra stuff in the store. Now the stores only get one Big Day where customers are shelling out $100 plus. It is doubtful they will add other goodies to an order of that size vs. just coming in for one book where they may be tempted to look at other stuff on the shelves.

2) Amazon will be the better option.

Already Amazon is offering deep discounts on the PHB and MM with a 5% bonus for pre-ordering. Once the DMG gets listed on Amazon, it will be a $30+ savings and free shipping when you get the three books at once. Essentially, buy 2 get 1 free.

I can't imagine many people in the US passing that up to pay full price at the game store just to have the books on Day 1 vs. Day 3.

cougent

First Post
Glyfair said:
But there wasn't a three month spread with 3.5. It was 3E that had that. That's why I know one of my gaming stores will hate this. 3.5 severely stressed them financially that one month.

Of course, if you go back to the AD&D days, you had an even wider spread. The MM was released first Dec '77 with the DMG not being released until Aug '79. Almost 2 years.
Good thing I didn't start playing until 81 then. :p

Does anyone remember how 2E was released?

I am neutral on the release dates since I will probably be evaluating and reading reviews until October / November anyway.

fabneme

First Post
Dragonsong said:
Good people of the Wizards of the Coast. Please hear the pleas of overseas D&D players and release 4th edition with the slip case gift version as a single product. Overseas shipping rates (such as those to Brazil, where I happen to live) when buying several products (especially splatbooks and adventures) almost doubles their price, and our money is already devallued as it is (meaning 1/2 a dolar). Please hear our calls. We thank thee.

I wholeheartedly agree. As a brazilian myself (é sempre bom encontrar povo da terrinha em foruns estrangeiros! :D ), the releasing of the three core books at the same time saves a lot of money, due to the shippings... of course that the three books as a slip case gift version is even better, but the release of the core books in the same month is nice too.

Lord Fyre

First Post
Jack99 said:
June would suit me perfectly, since I am starting 7 weeks of vacation on July 1st. I however will remain very sceptical until I see it on the Gleeeemax

I will remain sceptical until I see it on store shelves! :\

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Dragonsong said:
Good people of the Wizards of the Coast. Please hear the pleas of overseas D&D players and release 4th edition with the slip case gift version as a single product. Overseas shipping rates (such as those to Brazil, where I happen to live) when buying several products (especially splatbooks and adventures) almost doubles their price, and our money is already devallued as it is (meaning 1/2 a dolar). Please hear our calls. We thank thee.

The three core will come as separate books or you can buy all three in slip case (we used to call this the gift set). The suggested retail price on the slipcase version is 10 cents US more than buying the three "loose" versions.

So if you are getting all three the "Gift Set" is the better deal IMO.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Huzzah for all three at once! And kudos on the slipcase--can't wait to hear who you've picked for the slipcase artist. I suggest Matt Wilson.

Legildur

First Post
I know that 3 books in 1 month is a financial burden of sorts, but the risk should be minimal given it is a much anticipated release. And a smart retailer would leverage the walk through traffic for more sales.

And I second the recommendation above to send advance copies to Eric, Hyp, Orcus etc. Send them the advance copy to iron out the wrinkles, and also promise a free copy of the special edition and some other tidbits (like a year's subscription to the online stuff) and you have some relatively cheap quality control from some serious fans with an eye for this kind of thing.

Then again, maybe they'd want cold, hard cash instead.... and it would still be cheap for WotC!!

Remove ads