Corebooks in June!: News from the Alliance Retailer Summit

I'd've much rather they released the PHB and Keep on the Shadowfell at the previously stated times, then moved the DMG up to June so it could be released alongside the MM.

Less retailer stress, more me getting my 4e when those guys at the seminar said I would. :p

-TRRW

mhensley said:
Plus there's only so many 300 page books I can read in a month, much less afford to buy.
No offense intended here, but... WHAT? Just because it's available doesn't mean you must buy it all that very moment, if ever. Buy them at your own pace - who's holding the gun on you anyway?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
To back up what Sara has already stated, this is indeed true.

We just made the move last week and it will take a week or so to get the info out in a more official capacity.

Thank you for the confirmation.

This is a good move, as far as I am concerned (although I know that Glyfair is right about the strain this will put on small retailers). I am also appreciative that Keep on the Shadowfell will be out before the core rulebooks, as it will hopefully give a lot of insight into how the game is put together.

You are probably aware that I am a naysayer of the new edition, and that I am concerned about some of the things I am reading. Other things I am very happy with. Please keep in mind, though, that where I am concerned I want to be wrong.

Keep going with the updates.

Make me wrong.

RC

mhensley

First Post
Man in the Funny Hat said:
No offense intended here, but... WHAT? Just because it's available doesn't mean you must buy it all that very moment, if ever. Buy them at your own pace - who's holding the gun on you anyway?

No one. I just think it's a bad idea. If most people won't buy all three at the same time, retailers will be sitting on a lot of stock. It's also an extra month that stores have to suffer with trying to sell the lame duck 3.5 stuff.

Tewligan

First Post
mhensley said:
Plus there's only so many 300 page books I can read in a month, much less afford to buy.
Well, it's over half a year away - start putting aside a few bucks a month, and you'll be good to go when they release.

McBard

First Post
It is confirmed. ...all three core rulebooks in June....And the Special Edition Core Rulebooks release in October.
Thanks Sara_G and Scott_Rouse. Perhaps I'm being obtuse (or have failed to read the entire thread accurately), but what's the official word on a slip-case in June?

In other words: yes, the three books come out at the same time in June, but are they combined together in the slip case, or sold apart? Or does "Special Edition" refer to the slip-cased trio or (what I assume) to the leather-bound ~$75 versions of all three?

Last edited:

Green Knight

First Post
mhensley said:
No one. I just think it's a bad idea. If most people won't buy all three at the same time, retailers will be sitting on a lot of stock. It's also an extra month that stores have to suffer with trying to sell the lame duck 3.5 stuff.

That's assuming most people won't buy them all when they come out. Odds are, it'll be the exact opposite, and most people will buy all three books together. I know I'll be getting them all together, and I'm ecstatic about the news that they'll be released together. The whole "one book per month" thing is for the birds.

Dragonsong

First Post
Good people of the Wizards of the Coast. Please hear the pleas of overseas D&D players and release 4th edition with the slip case gift version as a single product. Overseas shipping rates (such as those to Brazil, where I happen to live) when buying several products (especially splatbooks and adventures) almost doubles their price, and our money is already devallued as it is (meaning 1/2 a dolar). Please hear our calls. We thank thee.

Remove ads