• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Could the next book be Advanced D&D?

Well the mechanics around renown aren't as specific or as granular as yours (understandably so since they are designed more for the DM to use as a baseline and tweak for his particular vision) but they include rank... attitudes of organization members, perks, and rules for increasing renown during downtime. I mean I understand if you're not keen on the particulars but it is pretty adaptable and, at least IMO, very similar at a more high/generic level to the rules you've posted. All that said... I don't think it's correct to claim 5e doesn't have a system like this when it fact it does, even if said system isn't granular or specific enough for your tastes. It's like claiming because 5e doesn't have a way to allocate individual skill points... it doesn't have a skill system.

I believe I said that 5E doesn't have a game structure for politicking, in the sense talked about here (http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress.../game-structures-part-2-game-structure-basics, http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15140/roleplaying-games/game-structures-part-3-dungeoncrawl). I don't think the DMG rules count as a game structure. I could be wrong about that.

JohnnyNitro

First Post
Pretty sure I just found the 5E Warlord: PHB, p51, Paragraph 2. --Storm Sorcerer was hinted at PHB, p99, Paragraph 2. The signs are out there, people!!

Raith5

Adventurer
Unearthed Arcana?

Yep. This would be a far better name for a book of rule and game options which are not required to play D&D. Frankly I think 5e needs this kind of offering. I am not sure what the DM Guild will offer in this regard. 5e has such a broad space for rules, options, monsters and classes etc but only uses a portion of this space.

delericho

Legend
Had a thought: what are the odds our next "core" book is AD&D?

It's possible. We know they're working on their first major mechanical expansion, and "Advanced Rulebook" or something similar is as good a name as any. Though I think I'd be more inclined to expect something like "Unearthed Arcana". (Also, I thought they'd do a "Monster Manual 2" first, but I guess not.)

Introduce a bunch of "optional" variants such as Race/Class prereq's, expanded Spell List and Equipment, fully fleshed-out Grid rules, Kits, Psionics, etc. It seems like the natural progression of 5th-as-cousin-of-2nd Ed...

I think the only one from that list I actually want is Psionics, which is rather important to both my favourite settings. But a decent coverage of that topic probably requires a book to itself, and I'd rather see nothing at all than a half-assed version. YMMV, of course.

Patrick McGill

First Post
If they were to do a large mechanical expansion of "advanced" style rules, I would definitely expect it to be called Unearthed Arcana, and include a lot of the finished versions of the playtest concepts we've seen already.

CapnZapp

Legend
I would actually be surprised if they made a 100% crunch book like a Psionics Handbook.

Unless, of course, they also at the same time release something to use it with, such as an epic adventure set in - and descriptive of - Dark Sun.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
We have a Monster Manual and in the past have had a Field Folio, I think we need more like that, but all the good names are taken.

What I want is a gathering of humanoid npcs of a wide range of CRs, so I can stock a game of any level with intimidating bodyguards and crack soldiers enforcing the king's law. I would call it... the Adversary Album.

If it was monstrous races, it could be the Goblin Gazette, or perhaps a Ghastly Grimoire. Maybe a book full of fleshed out encounter groups, a Challenging Chapbook.

delericho

Legend
We have a Monster Manual and in the past have had a Field Folio, I think we need more like that, but all the good names are taken.

What I want is a gathering of humanoid npcs of a wide range of CRs, so I can stock a game of any level with intimidating bodyguards and crack soldiers enforcing the king's law. I would call it... the Adversary Album.

If it was monstrous races, it could be the Goblin Gazette, or perhaps a Ghastly Grimoire. Maybe a book full of fleshed out encounter groups, a Challenging Chapbook.

The Peril Portfolio? :)

Remove ads