• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Could we do with one more skill?

Fralex

Explorer
I sometimes find myself looking for a skill to represent mundane, scientific knowledge. Something akin to the architecture and engineering skill. What would that fall under right now? The rock gnome stats sort of imply it would be History, but that feels super weird. I'm half-tempted to just replace Investigation with Engineering, since I can never seem to keep straight how "noticing" is different from "finding" anyway :p
I mean, searching for signs of structural instability is something Investigation is used for, and I could totally see that being part of this skill.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Science skill?

I would probably treat that as an Int check and add prof bonus or +2 if you are a rock gnome, a dwarf, or have a background underground/in construction.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Player's Basic Rules said:
Other Intelligence Checks. The DM might call for an Intelligence check when you try to accomplish tasks like the following:

... Recall lore about a craft or trade

That seems to cover it.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I think in a 'typical' campaign this wouldn't come up very much and an Int check is fine, but if sciency stuff is important in your world, a skill for it would probably make sense.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
5th kinda does science as tools.

Alchemist's Supplies
Poisoner's Kit
Tinker's Tools
Navigator's tools

So Architecture would be Architect's Tools or Engineer's Supplies. Scales, rules, pens, paper. A specialized forgery kit.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
History makes sense for recalling scientific facts.

Tools make sense if you want to accomplish something with scientific knowledge.

S

Sunseeker

I quite liberally give out proficiency in 'knowledge' skills based on character backstories and themes. It's a great spot that doesn't take up much room in the game and only comes into play in limited circumstances. Knowledge: Sailing. Knowledge: War. Knowledge: Architecture. The more specific, the better.

CM

Adventurer
I added an Engineering skill for a slightly more steampunk game to cover exactly those sort of areas. It's important to make sure it can stand on its own and it doesn't devalue any other skills.

epithet

Explorer
Small scale engineering would use proficiency in tinker's tools, large scale engineering would use a draftsman's kit (I would use the cost and weight of navigator's tools) proficiency.

aramis erak

Legend
I think an Intelligence (Scientific Lore) would be a useful complement to the various tool proficiencies. I agree with Epithet, small scale engineering is tinker's tools, large scale is engineering; I also think Poisoner's and Alchemists for bio and chem... science would be to make sense of results of same in investigative modes.

Remove ads