Countdown to the Realms: Magic in the Forgotten Realms

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Liked the bit that most magic items used the weave to "connect" items to magic, meaning they're not going to undo hoards of artefacts.

But what the frell is Abeir, besides being in "Abeir-Toril", IIRC, we never heard anything about it before the last Dragon magazine, right?

Cheers, LT.

Nymrohd

First Post
Stardeep novel. Abeir and Toril were different worlds and one assaulted the other. Don't know more details, will now have to buy the novel:)

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Mirtek said:
30 levels is of course a short range and if a mere pitfiend is already lvl 26 and we know that Orcus is also in the MM1 (and is a primordial which means on the level of the gods) the difference between them can't be that big.

I would prefer anything but the weakest demigods grossly outclassing anything lvl 30 and theses weakest of demigods the stepping stone for an immortals supplement taking the PCs from level 31-xx.

First off, 30 is super-high epic. There's a reason "epic destinies" shuffle you out of the game at level 30: the game just can't scale up any higher. (A level 30 party can kill a god with enough preparation and help; by level 40, it would probably be a normal encounter, meaning the PCs ARE at least demigods.)

But anyway, go take a gander at the 3e PHB and see how many monsters you can spot with a CR above the "level cap." IIRC the most powerful dragons were about CR 28. So it wouldn't surprise me if Orcus is level 35-40 (and thus only beatable by a full level 30 party with tons of help and preparation).

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Wow. I did not expect another world to be tacked on to Toril. Lots of change.

I don't mind losing Maztica. I mind losing half of the Sea of Fallen Stars. The whole Returned Abeir will be interesting.

I scoffed when the FR grognards were talking about the Eberronification of the Realms but Spellscarred sounds an awful lot like aberrant dragonmarks and the Plague Lands sound a lot like Cyre/Mournlands. Nothing new under the sun and all, but cross pollination is happening.

It sounds like New Realms will be a fun place to adventure but a totally different Realms, except for Cormyr and the Sword Coast.

SCMrks

First Post
Somethings that stand out to me are:
-"Wizards, warlocks, clerics, sorcerers, bards, paladins, and even rogues, fighters, rangers, and other adventurers" call upon magic - so as far as using spells rangers are after "and even" with rogues and fighters.

- Abeir replaces Maztica as a continent

- the dragonborn kingdom of Tymanther is from Abeir and another kingdom called Akanul. Could that be the Tiefling kingdom?

- the Sea of Fallen Stars has been drained

- are Spellscars the FR version of Dragonmarks?

Nymrohd

First Post
My long running FR campaign is underwater (inside the Sea of Fallen Stars, though now near the end the players are in the open shores of Maztica in Corynactis.) I wonder if the changes made to the underwater realms will ever be covered.

Voss

First Post
Ugh. This is one of the worst fluff justifications for rule changes I've seen in a long time.

hopefully the rogue, fighter and ranger using magic comment refers to using the class training feat and taking magical abilities, and not the nature of their own class abilities.

And spellscars. Yay. BlueRuneFireMarks for the lose.

Glad to see they ramped up the inconsistencies. The spellplague affected magical things, mostly disintegrating them. Fine. But some things 'changed'. And some things, like Halruaa, blew the heck up. And other things, like mythals and the like, were so magical they were entirely fine. You know, because. No, no reason. Just because.

So I forget. Why was rewriting the setting with all the depth of a twelve year old's first fanfic better than just saying, 'here's how the rules work now'?

@ZombieRobotNinja- sadly, you can't. It had been mentioned on the wizard's boards during one of the earlier cycles of information

Remove ads