Coverting N1 - Against The Reptile God to 5E

Archade

Azer Paladin
Next, the cuddly and lovable Derek Desleigh the assassin.

Defensive CR would be 1/8, moved to 1/4 for Cunning Action and the effective AC of 16. Average damage should be 17/14/14 or 15 for CR 2, modified to CR 3. That averages to CR 2.

Derek Desleigh
Medium humanoid (human),neutral evil
human rogue (assassin) 4
Skills Acrobatics +7, Athletics +4, Investigation +3, Stealth +7
Tools Thieves' Tools
Senses Passive Perception 9
Languages common
Challenge 2 (450 xp)
Sneak Attack. Once per turn, you can deal and extra 2d6 damage to a creature you hit if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a ranged or finesse weapon. You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Shortsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+3) slashing damage.

Wow, you are prolifc!

According to the DMG, the baseline CR is an average of 3 offensive stats and 3 defensive stats (which are broken out in ranges in some cases), rounded up. Then adjustments are made to the 'effective xp' for special abilities, spell like abilities, immunuties, etc. this will affect the final CR of the opponent.

If you look at th NPCs in the back of the MM, you will notice that most of the CR2/3 NPCs are WAY weaker than yours, which is why I think you are undervaluing the CRs of your NPCs.

However, the DMG also says it's your game and your group. :)

Archade

Azer Paladin
Here's Misha Devi, a 3rd level cleric. Again, with the too-much-magic. I took away her ring of protection (because its a rare item on a 3rd level NPC), and replaced it with an elemental gem.

Misha Devi
Medium humanoid (human), neutral evil
human cleric of trickery 3
Skills History +3, Persuasion +4, Religion +3
Senses Passive Perception 13
Languages common
Challenge 1 (200 xp)________________________________________
Spellcasting. Misha is a 3rd-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). Misha has the following cleric spells prepared:
• Cantrips (at will): guidance, resistance, sacred flame
• 1st level (4 slots): charm person, detect evil and good, detect magic, cure wounds, disguise self
• 2nd level (2 slots): augury, hold person, silence

Mace. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+1) bludgeoning damage.
Blessing of the Trickster. You can use your action to touch a willing creature other than yourself to give it advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks. This blessing lasts for 1 hour or until you use this feature again.
Channel Divinity. As an action you may turn undead within 30 feet that can hear or see you if they fail a Wisdom saving throw. If it fails their save, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. Once used, it cannot be used again until she takes a short or long rest.
Invoke Duplicity. As an action, you can use your Channel Divinity ability to create a perfect illusion of yourself that lasts for 1 minute, or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell). The illusion appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within 30 feet of you. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the illusion up to 30 feet to a space you can see, but it must remain within 120 feet of you. For the duration, you can cast spells as though you were in the illusion's space, but you must use your own senses. Additionally, when you and your illusion are within 5 feet of a creature that can see the illusion, you have advantage on attack rolls against that creature, given how distracting the illusion is to the target.

Archade

Azer Paladin
And Abramo, and I'm going to bed! I'm about 2/3 through the way converting N1, although I still have to do the wilderness and the dungeon.

Abramo has the ever present magic chainmail, so I replaced it with half-plate.

Abramo
Medium humanoid (human), neutral evil
human cleric of trickery 7
Skills Insight +6, Medicine +6, Religion +6
Senses Passive Perception 13
Languages common
Challenge 3 (700 xp)
• 1st level (4 slots): bane, charm person, command, cure wounds, disguise self, inflict wounds
• 2nd level (3 slots): aid, blindness/deafness, mirror image, pass without trace, silence, spiritual weapon
• 3rd level (3 slots): animate dead, blink, dispel magic, spirit guardians
• 4th level (1 slot): dimension door, polymorph

Mace. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+1) bludgeoning damage.
Blessing of the Trickster. You can use your action to touch a willing creature other than yourself to give it advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks. This blessing lasts for 1 hour or until you use this feature again.
Channel Divinity. As an action you may turn undead within 30 feet that can hear or see you if they fail a Wisdom saving throw. If it fails their save, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage. You can use this ability twice, and then it cannot be used again until she takes a short or long rest.
Cloak of Shadows. You can use your Channel Divinity to vanish, using an action to become invisible until the end of your next turn. You become visible if you attack or cast a spell.
Invoke Duplicity. As an action, you can use your Channel Divinity ability to create a perfect illusion of yourself that lasts for 1 minute, or until you lose your concentration (as if you were concentrating on a spell). The illusion appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within 30 feet of you. As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the illusion up to 30 feet to a space you can see, but it must remain within 120 feet of you. For the duration, you can cast spells as though you were in the illusion's space, but you must use your own senses. Additionally, when you and your illusion are within 5 feet of a creature that can see the illusion, you have advantage on attack rolls against that creature, given how distracting the illusion is to the target.

Archade

Azer Paladin
Didn't give up ... ran my first session last week ... the party walked right up to the innkeeper of the Golden Grain Inn and asked what was up with the missing people ... several poisoned drinks and mayhem later, the party explored the caves below, and are now on their way into the woods with Ramne's weasel. We're playing again in 2 weeks, so I'll be posting again, never fear!

BTW, thinking about it, I added in a story bonus of 100 xp for each cultist family sussed out ... hasn't really come in to play yet ... :)

Zelekendel

First Post
Didn't give up ... ran my first session last week ... the party walked right up to the innkeeper of the Golden Grain Inn and asked what was up with the missing people ... several poisoned drinks and mayhem later, the party explored the caves below, and are now on their way into the woods with Ramne's weasel. We're playing again in 2 weeks, so I'll be posting again, never fear!

BTW, thinking about it, I added in a story bonus of 100 xp for each cultist family sussed out ... hasn't really come in to play yet ... :)

Excellent - keep up the good work, and thank you!

thedmstrikes

Explorer
Watching with interest, as it is a staple of my longtime campaign.

One item of note thus far and for those players reading (spoilers): the two clerics should be worshippers of the original god as they are only hypnotized by the BBEG. That would make them clerics of the agriculture god instead of the trickster god. Just a suggestion, (even if it is too late for your play session). Looking forward to what else you come up with...

Archade

Azer Paladin
Now you have me thinking about clerics switching deities! I think a charmed cleric could be convinced to switch gods ...

So I ran a second group through it, and they were so smart ... up to a point. After getting a real Stepford vibe from some of the town, they figured out to start ritual casting detect magic, going to revisit some of the villagers, and saw the enchantment magic on the storekeep and blacksmith -- that almost makes the 'who is a cultist' question kind of a cheat. However, they hadn't determined that it was a charm.

It was going so well, until they found the troglodytes in the basement of the Foaming Flagon, brought a body to the mayor, learned that he thought the hermit was behind it, and decided to go pay him another visit. The wizard checked him out with detect magic while the paladin tried to negotiate with him ... he saw abjuration magic from his magic ring, gave the signal to the party, and they tried to jump him.

So, after a lightning bolt and a dimension door, they know they've probably made a mistake, but have no idea how to fix it. They have the arcane locked box, but are almost afraid to take it ... we wrapped there for the night ...

Remove ads