• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E CR 13 dragon beaten by level 7 party observations

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I'd argue a dragon (or any other flying creature) without the option to fly around and attack when they choose is not really the CR they are listed as.

Derren

Hero
I'd argue a dragon (or any other flying creature) without the option to fly around and attack when they choose is not really the CR they are listed as.

Which always raised the question why dragons are encountered in caves anyway. The lair rules make this even worse as now most of the time a dragon either can't fly or does not have lair powers unless you count the surrounding area as lair.

Quartz

Hero
It sounds like the dragon was thoroughly nerfed by not being able to fly - no flyby attacks, no snatching, no dropping from a great height, etc.

Moorcrys

Explorer
That and it was essentially surprised. It looks like no minions, and no advanced warning of the party. Pretty much operating in the dark. It allowed the group to get the jump on him.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Very good OP, it feels like you got the drop on the Dragon which is always the best thing you can hope for, also the use of potions was instrumental in here IMO.

Did the Dragin use its legendary actions?

Warder

Cyberen

First Post
Going by memory here, but wouldn't the use of the legendary action which grants a perception roll, up to 3 times per round before the combat even begins, keep the beast from being surprised ?
(Of course, you could rule these actions cant be taken until combat has begun, but I think it would defeat the RAI).

Which always raised the question why dragons are encountered in caves anyway. The lair rules make this even worse as now most of the time a dragon either can't fly or does not have lair powers unless you count the surrounding area as lair.

Why would a dragon make its home in a cave it can't fly around in?

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Going by memory here, but wouldn't the use of the legendary action which grants a perception roll, up to 3 times per round before the combat even begins, keep the beast from being surprised ?
(Of course, you could rule these actions cant be taken until combat has begun, but I think it would defeat the RAI).

I'm pretty sure legendary actions are only for in combat, since they function between the turns of combatants.

Also, I don't think it's at all reasonable to assume the dragon would be constantly sitting there, making perception checks while he's out of combat. That's what passive perception is for (which is quite high already for dragons).

Remove ads