Craft/Time Point Proposal & Discussion

Ferrix

Explorer
Patlin said:
Yeah, basically you fiddle with the Dedicated Wright, go on your adventure, and the item is finished when you come home.

And I'm mixing up the conversation, because I was going back to craft points/time not prerequisites. Sorry about that.

What effect will a Dedicated Wright have on spending craft points?

Interesting notion... perhaps halve the amount of days spent creating an item or something of that sort?

Patlin

Explorer
Another thing: one of the things I like about the LEW craft point system is that it doesn't apply to time actually spent crafting in an adventure. If the plot allows for time for someone to sit and build a needed widget, that's OK.

I hope that whatever else we do we can preserve this.

Ferrix

Explorer
Patlin said:
Another thing: one of the things I like about the LEW craft point system is that it doesn't apply to time actually spent crafting in an adventure. If the plot allows for time for someone to sit and build a needed widget, that's OK.

I hope that whatever else we do we can preserve this.

Interesting... would ours as well allow for this?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Ferrix said:
Interesting... would ours as well allow for this?
Absolutely. As to the Dedicated Wright, it seems that unless you guys are describing it wrong, whoever made it doesn't know the rules, since if it can't provide spell and other prereqs, it isn't allowed to spend the day crafting without supervision. If we did allow this, it would just use its own craft point pool, which begins at 0 (instead of 300-some) and increases by one per day as usual.

Erekose13

Explorer
could enforce 1 spell per scroll. All the prices are based on that and the lack of rules supporting multiple spells/scroll helps. does mean that your CLW scroll takes 1 whole day to write though.

Erekose13

Explorer
ECS said:
Dedicated Wight; Item Creation(SU): a dedicated wright can preform the daily tasks related to item creation on behalf of its master. The master must meet (or emulate) all the prerequisites to create the desired item normally, and pays the gold and XP cost himself. The only cost a dedicated wright can help with is time. The master spends 1 hour initiating the process, channeling spell prerequisites into the dedicated wright, and paying the XP cost to make the item. He may then leave, allowing the wright to carry the process through to completion.

There's the text from the ECS.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
There's the text from the ECS.
Ah, yes. That is perfectly legal and fine. The key here is that the master does something for one hour each day to provide the pre-reqs, then lets the dedicated wright do the rest. This would not save you any craft points, but I would say it allows you to double-spend your craft points as long as you don't break the rule that you have to finish any magic items you started before you move on to the next item. So you could set the homunculus on the magic item and then go craft a sword for a day at the cost of one CP.

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Ah, yes. That is perfectly legal and fine. The key here is that the master does something for one hour each day to provide the pre-reqs, then lets the dedicated wright do the rest. This would not save you any craft points, but I would say it allows you to double-spend your craft points as long as you don't break the rule that you have to finish any magic items you started before you move on to the next item. So you could set the homunculus on the magic item and then go craft a sword for a day at the cost of one CP.

I think it's one hour, not one hour each day. If your item is going to take a week, you can do all your emulating/prereq stuff up front and go on a one week dungeon dive. It'll be done when you come back.

Unfortunately, the rules are silent as to what happens if you need to make more than one roll on a particular prereq....

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:

Like Patlin said, you only have to spend one hour starting it up. It then runs on its own, not one hour a day.

However, I don't think it should spend the masters craft points because really it isn't the master who is taking time out.

Perhaps a dedicated wright starts with a certain number of craft points on its own, as its very purpose is to do the time work for the master.

Rystil Arden

First Post
You can't provide the prerequisites unless you are around each day, as per the section on crafting magic items. The homunculus still saves a great deal of time, so the crafter could be crafting something else in the same day that their homunculus is finishing the item's work for the day.

Remove ads