Craft/Time Point Proposal & Discussion

Rystil Arden

First Post
How expensive are these things? Because it seems like they are a cash cow in a normal FtF game--build a bunch of Homunculi, get somebody to come spend one hour and cast the spell once (possibly with a scroll) and be labeled creator, and then let the homunculus chug away--repeat for each of these things that you have, and you could have hundreds of wondrous items being built at a time.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Icycool, that's true. It also occurred to me that you need to hand the feat over to the homunculus as well for the duration, and you can't start another one until it finishes anyway. All in all, this still says to me that you gain two boons in LEB for having the homunculus:

1) On adventures (when you normally don't regen CP because you aren't on break, but you can craft things yourself given time in the adventure), you can have the homunculus crafting while you're adventuring, possibly a huge boon if the GM is one of those "two months later you reach Stormreach" GMs.

2) When not on adventures, you can have the homunculus do the work while you are crafting nonmagical items. This still spends craft points, since if you sit around sipping tropical juice while the homunculus is working, you still spend the day just the same, but you may be able to get two things done for the price of one. Also, if we ever make a job system, you could be doing a job on the same days your homunculus is crafting.

Patlin

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
Cost to Create 2100 gp, 160 XP; never for sale.

Also, the text only allows the master to provide the prerequisites, not anyone else.

Also, if you're an artificer using the class ability to build the Homonculous, you only get one of them. That means you're giving up the equivalent of an animal companion to get one.

IcyCool

First Post
I will point out that the benefit of the dedicated wright is that the creator doesn't have to spend time crafting the item. It's much like the Fabricate spell in that respect.

Ferrix

Explorer
Umm... maybe I'm missing or misreading something, but once the caster starts the process and then leaves, how does he no longer have access to the item creation feat, spell slots, etc.?

It also states in the dedicated wright text that the master can start it up and go adventuring while the wright does the rest of the work.

Erekose13

Explorer
I did notice that the prereq for the dedicated wright are arcane eye and fabricate. A 4th and 5th level spell respectively. Hadn't picked up on that one.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
I did notice that the prereq for the dedicated wright are arcane eye and fabricate. A 4th and 5th level spell respectively. Hadn't picked up on that one.
Unfortunately, though, the thing is cheap enough that one can just procure a couple of scrolls and craft it, though that admittedly adds a bunch to the price. Probably easiest for an Artificer with good Charisma to just fake it.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
IcyCool said:
That seems to imply that the all of the spell prerequisites need to supplied up front. So if the item will take 3 days to complete, and requires the casting of a particular spell each day to craft it, then the master would have to cast the spell 3 times into the wright up front, at which point the spell prerequisites have been met and the wright spends the time.
That's a reading I'd be fine with.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Few things:
- Give up a feat while it is crafting? That is not a reading I took, nor it is implied by my reading.
- You need Craft Construct to create it (which requires Craft Wondrous and Craft Arms/Weapons and CL 5+), so it isn't being created before 6th level at best.

Remove ads