Craft/Time Point Proposal & Discussion

Patlin

Explorer
"At 4th level, an artificer can create a homunculus as if her had the Craft Construct feat"

Emphasis mine. Note use of the singular. Also, goes on to talk about "his homunculus" a few times, no where suggesting the possibility of the plural "homunculi."

Maybe not a lot to hang my hat on, but that was my interpretation...

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hmm...it does say 'a' in the language, but it doesn't say you can only use that ability once, right? It seems like a way to gain limited access to the Craft Construct feat, for homunculus purposes only, a few levels early. Note that the restrictions applied to the artificer's homunculus are actually more restrictive than to someone using Craft Construct.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I have also read it as one homunculus, though, unlike the familiar text, it does not say anything about having mulitple (though only one class grants a homunculus).

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
I have also read it as one homunculus, though, unlike the familiar text, it does not say anything about having mulitple (though only one class grants a homunculus).
And also, someone with the Craft Construct feat can make as many as they want.

Ferrix

Explorer
Patlin said:
That's a very clear way of putting it, and I agree. If this happened in a face to face game and I was DM, I'd have to fill in the blanks with a house rule. Several possibilities spring to mind.

Really, I see one main possibility comes to mind. I never really saw this as house rule or particularly vague interpretation. The intention seems incredibly clear, that a crafter can start the thing on an item and leave the wright to it till it's done. The question about pre-requisites is a little different.

Could we get back to the craft system first off and then address the dedicated wright secondly, so that players have a solid craft system in place now. Since none of them will have a dedicated wright for a while.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I agree with Ferrix that we can ignore the Dedicated Wright for now.

I think if we give players a year's worth of craft points to start and they regenerate one per day if they aren't on an adventure, plus they can craft during the adventure if they have time, this should handle anything short of crazy amounts of crafting (over 300,000 gp worth). In fact, perhaps we should start them off with only half a year to begin, rather than the full year?

Bront

The man with the probe
Knight Otu said:
There are no fractional Craft points, so the craft point cost is 2, since you always round down unless told otherwise. For Craft points, a minimum of 1 points applies. Otherwise correct, though.
Actualy, you round up to 3, and round up in the CP stuff.

Otherwise, that normal dagger costs 0 CP.

Erekose13

Explorer
How would this affect our 3rd level characters when they come in? If everyone gets 1/2year of CP, is that enough for them?

We should also probably cover in game time units as well. That way DMs will know how to handle characters that want to craft something on that 'two months to Zen'drik' ride.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
How would this affect our 3rd level characters when they come in? If everyone gets 1/2year of CP, is that enough for them?

We should also probably cover in game time units as well. That way DMs will know how to handle characters that want to craft something on that 'two months to Zen'drik' ride.
Sure it will. Each CP is a day--half a year is 150,000 GP worth of crafting time ;)

As for in-game: It works just as the rules as written say, so the two months to Stormreach gives you 60,000 GP worth of crafting time, assuming you can get eight undisturbed hours each day.

Ferrix

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Sure it will. Each CP is a day--half a year is 150,000 GP worth of crafting time ;)

As for in-game: It works just as the rules as written say, so the two months to Stormreach gives you 60,000 GP worth of crafting time, assuming you can get eight undisturbed hours each day.

I'm with Rystil here, so how many days in an Eberron year? I'll update the first post with an actual proposal that we can vote in.

Also, regarding items that might take less than a day, we could allow a player to craft multiples to equal 1 day, thus while if you wanted to just make 1 dagger, it might take you 4 hours and still cost you 1 time unit, you could make two in 1 time unit.

Remove ads