Craft/Time Point Proposal & Discussion

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
IIRC, Eberron is a 365 day or 364 day year. The Eberron calendar I linked elswhere (discussion thread) would know for sure.

Ferrix

Explorer
Proposal
Characters begin with a single year of craft days (365 days) which are expended when crafting items (magical or not) outside of an adventure at the normal rate. One craft day per 1000gp in the items base price, with a minimum of at least 1 craft day; potions always only take one craft day. See the creating magic items rules here.

Characters gain one craft day per real life day not spent adventuring. Items crafted while on an adventure do not subtract from a characters craft day total, but crafting in an adventure does take up time in the adventure timeline. Please check with your DM and the adventure's judge when crafting an item during an adventure.

Ferrix

Explorer
Regarding the creation of non-magical items, the creation time is funky in that when you roll by week you make the equivalent in silver piece, while if you make the check by day you make the equivalent in copper pieces. However, a copper piece is 1/10th of a silver piece, while a day is 1/7th of a week. Therefore rolling by day you actually lose time.

I also, believe the times are inconsistent compared to what they should be.

A longsword is a 15gp item, 150sp. The average weaponsmiths check we'll assume a +5, taking 10 that's a 15. The DC to make the martial weapon is 15. Therefore 15x15 is 225sp, meaning the longsword takes 2/3rds of a week to make which is basically 5 craft days. Having worked with a smith, that's a bit of an inaccurate time frame.

Has anyone found a simple to use but more accurate crafting system?

I also think if we stick with the normal system, we should redress the rolling by day vs. rolling by week issue.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I'm thinking maybe start them with half a year instead of a full year, for a few reasons, including the fact that the people who aren't getting into adventures right away are at least regening craft points.

Erekose13

Explorer
In spelling out our craft system, we'll also want to point people to a crafting thread where all time accounting and rolls (if necessary) can be stored.

Rystil Arden

First Post
The average weaponsmiths check we'll assume a +5

That's a neophyte weaponsmith, not an average weaponsmith. It's either an apprentice who has barely brought herself to basic standards or an adventurer who dabbles in smithing. An average weaponsmith will have nothing better to spend feats on than SF: Craft, and would probably be a level 2 or 3 Expert. So that's about a +10. Taking 10, that's 400 SP, so that means you can make almost three longswords in a week.

Ferrix

Explorer
Erekose13 said:
In spelling out our craft system, we'll also want to point people to a crafting thread where all time accounting and rolls (if necessary) can be stored.

That was my idea for a Marketplace and a Workplace thread.

Workplace to put where they do their time and accounting for crafting.

Marketplace for buying and selling.

Erekose13

Explorer
Right I remember that now. Its a good idea. I think I was opposed to it originally because there was no concrete way to regulate time there. With this system working out well, I think they are all the better.

Knight Otu

First Post
stonegod said:
IIRC, Eberron is a 365 day or 364 day year. The Eberron calendar I linked elswhere (discussion thread) would know for sure.
Eberron days are 24 hours. Seven days make a week, four weeks a month, and twelve months a year (ECS, page 130). Making a year having 336 days (coincidentally, if there was a 13th month, it would be a 364 day year, but I remember Hellcow saying that it wasn't planned that way).

Remove ads