• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Crafting Scrolls and Brewing Potions

Warunsun

First Post
I just looked up the rules and they seem pretty reasonable for lower level spells. On page 135 of the DMG it says, "The value of a consumable item, such as a potion or scroll, is typically half the value of a permanent item of the same rarity". So a potion of healing or scroll of cure wounds only takes 2 days to craft. That is not bad at all. Anything past 5th level is just ridiculous however. But I guess I understand that as a method to control spellcasting. Even if it seems just plain ridiculous in the eyes of previous editions.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
If you look at the rules as examples of ways to do crafting then I'd pull whatever from 1e, 3.x, 4th, and 5th to make a set of table rules that work for our group.

Which more often than not, really depends on whether the players want to craft and what their motivation is for crafting - whether character based or power gaming.

derickmoore25

First Post
Confused

I just looked up the rules and they seem pretty reasonable for lower level spells. On page 135 of the DMG it says, "The value of a consumable item, such as a potion or scroll, is typically half the value of a permanent item of the same rarity". So a potion of healing or scroll of cure wounds only takes 2 days to craft. That is not bad at all. Anything past 5th level is just ridiculous however. But I guess I understand that as a method to control spellcasting. Even if it seems just plain ridiculous in the eyes of previous editions.
I see where you got the half the value but where did you find it would take 2 days to craft. Every single source I can find says it takes 10 days and 100 gold to craft including the Phb

Wolf118

Explorer
I see where you got the half the value but where did you find it would take 2 days to craft. Every single source I can find says it takes 10 days and 100 gold to craft including the Phb

A Common magic item is 100 gp. A consumable version is 50 gp. Crafting for magic items is at the rate of 25 gp/day (DMG p 129), so that's 2 days.

derickmoore25

First Post
Salable not permanent. I don't think those are interchangable terms salable could be a one time use scoll. Your jumping to a conclusion there. In the crafting section of the Phb it says you make them at a rate of 2.5 gp a day.

derickmoore25

First Post
The problem I'm running into is it makes no since to sale the potion for what it costs to make. Then your at a lose in income because the cost of living.

derickmoore25

First Post
I work in sales and marketing and you'd go out of bisiness doing that. I have a player who wants to start a merchant empire and it seems there is no built in support for it. Here is my exampl you order a large drink frim mcdonalds they charge you a dollar it costs them 13-18cents depwnding on shipping costs. 500% mark up. I feel like the basic healing potion would be the same every one buys them for adventuring item.

Wolf118

Explorer
Salable not permanent. I don't think those are interchangable terms salable could be a one time use scoll. Your jumping to a conclusion there. In the crafting section of the Phb it says you make them at a rate of 2.5 gp a day.

Nope. The PHB rules are for crafting non-magical items. The DMG has the rules for crafting magic items. The first line in the PHB section is, "You can craft nonmagical objects..." whereas the DMG section is titled, "Crafting A Magic Item". Also, the PHB crafting is 5 gp/day, not 2.5 gp/day.

As for selling them, the amount listed for each rarity level is Creation Cost. Not the selling price. As the DM, you can set whatever markup you want. In my game, markup starts at 100% if you commission a piece from a crafter. Buying, selling, and trading are done through Magic Brokers.

Also, the DMG errata now corrects consumable costs:

Crafting a Magic Item (p. 129). The first sentence under the Crafting Magic Items table now reads, “An item has a creation cost specified in the Crafting Magic Items table (half that cost for a consumable, such as a potion or scroll).”

Last edited:

BoldItalic

First Post
From the recent DMG Errata:

Crafting a Magic Item (p. 129). The first sentence under the Crafting Magic Items table now reads, “An item has a creation cost specified in the Crafting Magic Items table (half that cost for a consumable, such as a potion or scroll).”

Edit - Ninja'd :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads