• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating new dragons!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I think we have lots of plans at the moment (and seem to have slowed down quite a lot), but I'm not averse to the ivory at some point. RavinRay? And how about that Peridot?

RavinRay

Explorer
Back to the peridot dragon.

Since it seems to behave like a great cat, I'd give it the Improved Grab, Pounce, and Rake (Ex) abilities, like the big and dire cats in the SRD. IIRC no other true dragons have all these abilities, not even the somewhat feral beast dragon of the Beastlands.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a peridot dragon must hit with a claw or bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake.

Pounce (Ex): If a peridot dragon charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +n melee, damage increases with age.

freyar

These look good, so I guess we start getting into the nitty-gritty now. What if we give it full attack bonus progression on the rake (ie, +1/age category with the usual strength bonus) and damage based on size for claw attacks?

RavinRay

Explorer
Ok, I've added your suggestions to the combat stat block above; take a look if the Rake line can be better worded. For the increased claw damage, I simply doubled the dice.

For the psi-like abilities, I included truevenom, so that the dragon can have one physically-related ability. Energy ball (fire) is already included.

Thoughts?

freyar

Hmmm, did you mean an additional bonus of +1/age for rake attacks? Maybe we should just have the melee attack bonus be the same as for the rest of its attacks (but put the peridot dragon BAB at the top end of the scale for dragons of each given size). And for the damage, did you want the claw attacks always to have double damage compared to normal for size? In that case, we could have something like:

Ripping Claws (Ex): The claw attacks of a peridot dragon are more deadly than normal dragons and deal twice as much damage as the claw attacks of other dragons of the same size, as follows. This double damage also applies to rake attacks.
(insert table here)

Rake (Ex): When a peridot dragon is in a grapple, it can make two (four?) rake attacks at its full attack bonus, dealing damage as its claw attacks.

What do you think?

RavinRay

Explorer
I think the Rake line is more streamlined now, as I kept it consistent with the rake ability of other monsters. It actually does less bonus damage (1/2 of 1/2 of the Str modifier (than regular claw attacks). But if we want the trade-off of lacking wing-based attacks for greater claw damage we can stick with ripping claws and finalize the damage dealt.

Let's move on to other stats:
Natural AC: HD -1, or should it have harder scales?
Other psi-Like abilities:
Class Skills:
Movement: Should it also have a swim speed like other gem dragons?

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Some requests (If'n you take them)

Obsidian Dragon, Gibbering Dragon ( With similar abilities to a Gibbering Mouther and such), Ash Dragon, Agate Dragon, Glass Dragon, Cryo Dragon (Cold), Dream Dragon (Plane of Dreams), Luminessent Dragon (Blinding attack), and Oracle Wyrm (Non age grouped Dragon) Any one of these would be an awesome help thank you.

Edit to add non standard draconic types

Lionide Dragon (Lion like smaller plains dragon) Bull Iridescent Dragon (Stubborn pursuer of those who get into his territory, iridescent dragon small variety lives in the mountains)

Last edited:

JiCi

First Post
RavinRay said:
Rake (Ex): A peridot dragon deals normal claw damage plus 1/4 of its Strength bonus.
Emphasis mine.

Why 1/4 ? Rake attacks and secondary attacks always deal 1/2 the Strength Bonus.

Priest_Sidran

First Post
Thanks for the Heads Up

By glancing at your Glass Dragon, (which I do like) I am not to keen on the theme. I was looking for a True Dragon (glass) of som sort, but thank you for your creation.

Remove ads