Creating new dragons!

RavinRay

Explorer
Funny you should mention Aztec theme, because way back in 2e I made a turquoise dragon that was the Meso-American counterpart of the sapphire dragon, just as in Mystara the jade dragon was the oriental counterpart of the emerald dragon. It was a LN gem dragon and had cordial relations with couatl (and like them, it's scales are somewhat feathery).

A Persian-style dragon might be like the amphiptere. From www.gemstone.org is a list of gemstones we can use:
  • Opal - one of my subpsionic dragons
  • Peridot
  • Aquamarine - one of my aquatic dragons
  • Citrine
  • Ametrine - an amethyst/citrine hybrid
  • Garnet - my aquatic dragon consort for Sardior
  • Tourmaline - my second aquatic dragon
  • Tanzanite
  • Lapis Lazuli
  • Quartz - archaically synonymous with crystal; however, the microcrystalline chalcedony is distinctive enough to be used, and I'm using the red one, carnelian, as Sardior's vassal for the subpsionic dragons.
  • Jade - my second subpsionic dragon
  • Zircon - my third aquatic dragon
  • Iolite
  • Spinel
  • Alexandrite
  • Chrysoberyl
  • Kunzite
  • Morganite
  • Chrome Diopside
  • Andalusite
  • Amber - strictly speaking this and pearl should be a separate category because they are organic gemstones
  • Turquoise - my third subpsionic dragon
  • Agate
  • Onyx - due for conversion as a Mystaran dragon
  • Bloodstone
  • Jasper
  • Pearl

Gothenem

Explorer
Yeah, I specifically chose my three based on I have not heard of any dragons based on them yet.

Alexandrites, Carnelians, and Malachites are all found in Africa, maybe a more african theme. The only African-themed dragon I can currently think of is Apep, and thus perhaps a more snake-like theme would work. The "african" dragons can range from a persian-like area (deserts and the like) to mountains to jungle (Africa is so rich in its diversity it's just plain beautiful).

Perhaps no wings on the dragons. Maybe even no flight (which explains why they are not common in other lands).

Also, in keeping with the flavor of each dragon type, we will need an element to attatch to each. Since the Aluminum dragon is currently on its way, I would suggest Earth for its "element type"

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm happy to choose abilities based on a theme, too. I second an African theme for these, including Persian as related. (Along the lines of Aztec/Meso-American, are there separate Maztican dragons converted or due for conversion?) I believe that there is an African-themed homebrew setting somewhere on the web, which we might consult for flavor ideas. I'll see if I can find it when I get a chance this evening.

"Earth" sounds like a good subtype for the aluminum dragon...

borble

First Post
your gem dragon needs to be a different type. malachite is so lame................
a boleite dragon would provide cool flavor. a green vivianite dragon would look cool. a takite dragon would also have cool flavor. and a dragon that doesn’t have a body but instead uses old bones and is a pest dragon.
hope this helps
ben

Gothenem

Explorer
borble said:
your gem dragon needs to be a different type. malachite is so lame................
a boleite dragon would provide cool flavor. a green vivianite dragon would look cool. a takite dragon would also have cool flavor. and a dragon that doesn’t have a body but instead uses old bones and is a pest dragon.
hope this helps
ben

On the other hand, I don't want to go too far into obscure gemstones that few will know what it looks like to make a reference. And "lameness" is a matter of personal opinion.

I also specifically went with gemstone that could be found in Africa or the Middle East.

Green Vivianite: Located primarily in England and the US. with only a tiny deposit found in Namibia.

Boleite is not located anywhere in Africa, and is from the Southern States and Mexico primarily, though it can also be found in England and certain parts of Asia.

I cannot even find Takite in a google search. If it is that obscure, I doubt many will have any idea what it looks like.

Boleite and Green Vivianite may be possibilities if we choose to go a mesoamerican route, however.

For Malachite
Wikipedia said:
It is found in the Democratic Republic of Congo; Tsumeb, Namibia; Ural mountains, Russia; Mexico; Broken Hill, New South Wales; England; Lyon; and in the Southwestern United States especially in Arizona at Bisbee and Morenci.

In Israel, malachite is extensively mined at Timna, often called King Solomon's Mines. Archeological evidence indicates that the mineral has been mined and smelted at the site for over 3,000 years. Most of Timna's current production is also smelted, but the finest pieces are worked into silver jewelry.

Definitely an African/Middle Eastern feel.
Alexandrite:

Wikipedia said:
many fine examples have been discovered in Sri Lanka (up to 65 cts.), India (Andhra Pradesh), Brazil, Myanmar, and especially Zimbabwe

Carnelians are a type of quartz and quartz are found all over the world. There was no specifics if the Carnelian brand of quartz was found in africa or not; however.

NPC Lord said:
how about iron dragons? or perhaps hematite?

Iron is already done. I cannot say more about it, other than it has been looked at before. As for Hematite, it is a possiblity, but its closeness to iron may dissuade us. Also, it is not prominent in africa, and I have seen no evidence that it is found in Africa at all.

Wikipedia said:
Especially good specimens of hematite come from England, Mexico, Brazil, Australia and the Lake Superior region of the United States and Canada.

Last edited:

RavinRay

Explorer
Gothenem said:
I cannot even find Takite in a google search. If it is that obscure, I doubt many will have any idea what it looks like.
It might be a typo and actually be "tektite", which is a glass, often dark like obsidian, formed by a meteorite impact.

I'll visit www.gemstone.org and read up on the local legends of gemstones. For sure there are African stories behind some of those.

Gothenem

Explorer
In that case, it is indeed found in Africa, in the Ivory Coast, as well as other parts worldwide (being most common in Australia).

However, Tektite is very similar to Obsidian, and thus I would be iffy using it. After all, there are so many other options out there,

RavinRay

Explorer
Ok, here's what I found about African gemstones.

Peridot: The peridot is a very old gemstone, and one which has become very popular again today. It is so ancient that it can be found in Egyptian jewellery from the early 2nd millennium B.C.. The stones used at that time came from a deposit on a small volcanic island in the Red Sea, some 45 miles off the Egyptian coast at Aswan, which was not rediscovered until about 1900 and has, meanwhile, been exhausted for quite some time.

The most beautiful stones come from the border area between Pakistan and Afghanistan. However, the peridot as a gemstone also exists in Myanmar, China, the USA, Africa and Australia. Stones from East Burma, now known as Myanmar, have a vivid light green and fine inclusions with a silky shine to them. Peridot from Arizona, where it is popularly used in native American jewellery, often has somewhat yellowish or gold-brown nuances.

Tanzanite: Tanzanite is an extraordinary gemstone. It occurs in only one place worldwide. Its blue, surrounded by a fine hint of purple, is a wonderful colour. Thanks to its unusual aura and the help of the New York jeweller's Tiffany, it has rapidly become one of the most coveted gemstones in the world.

It is named after the East African state of Tanzania, the only place in the world where it has been found.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I'm not too invested in what gemstone we use, as the nomenclature probably isn't too important, but I know my wife would be happy to hear about a peridot dragon. :D

Remove ads