• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating new dragons!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Still wrapping up the aluminum dragon:
  • For alignment, how about NG? Most seem to be lawful or chaotic, so this could be a bit different.
  • Class skills should include Survival (for getting around in the jungle) and Jump (so it can use its crush attack!).
  • Edit to add: Spellcasting: The aluminum dragon may choose its spells from the sorceror/wizard and druid spell lists
  • Description: This dragon holds itself with serpentine grace, bending and sliding through the forest with ease. Its scales are a dull grey, and it has no wings, but its silver eyes burn with passion.
  • Flavor: Aluminum dragons are the great hunters of the tropical forests, renowned for their
    patience in tracking down and destroying their prey. Among all creatures, evil beings earn their wrath most, and aluminum dragons do not tolerate evil incursions into their territories at all. In fact, the areas around an aluminum dragon's lair are often among the safest of the jungle, although the aluminum dragon will not eliminate all the dangerous animals.

Once they have disposed of the edible parts, an aluminum dragon values the corpse of an evil creature as a trophy; aluminum dragon hoards are full of skins, horns, and bones of all manner of exotic evil monsters. On occasion, an aluminum dragon will even hire a skilled craftsperson to preserve and organize the display of these trophies.

Despite their usual distance from large settlements, the safe area surrounding an aluminum dragon's home often attracts primitive humanoids, especially those with the reptilian subtype. Under the influence of the aluminum dragon, the alignment of these humanoids gradually shifts to good, if it is not good already.
Take or modify as you like!

These ideas for peridot sound good so far.

Last edited:

Gothenem

Explorer
Heh, I was going to wait until tomorrow to flavor the Aluminum. As most dragons gain three skills as class skills, Jump, Move Silently, and Survival.

JiCi

First Post
RavinRay said:
Hmm, if we give the diamond dragon psion levels, should we let it specialize in a discipline, or make it an erudite instead to differentiate it from the other gem dragons?
Psion is a good choice, perhaps with no discipline but with mantles instead, such as for getting exclusive powers.

Since the 6 other gem dragons have a speciality in terms of powers, maybe mine could go with mantles.

One more thing, if we go with Psion, which progression should I use ? the amethyst, the crystal, the topaz... ?

RavinRay said:
Although aquamarine is also the name of a gemstone so I think it's better off for a gem dragon. For me blue+green=teal
That works too. I only wrote what was in the book. Anyway, I would like to give a shot for new chromatic dragons, what do you say ?

Here are my clues (BTW, I'll be creating new species, not a crossbreed-like template):

Alignment: Since it's based on chromatic crossbreeds, the alignment remains evil.
- If both parents are CE, LE or NE, then the breed will be CE, LE or NE.
- If a parent is LE and the other is CE, then the breed will be NE.
- If a parent is NE and the other is either LE or CE, then the breed will be LE or CE

Breath Weapon: It mostly depends on habitat and such, and the damage shall be an average based on the colors.

Maroon: CE / cone of sound; 2d8 points of sonic per age / underground
Indigo: NE / cone of shadow; 1d10 points of negative energy per age / plains
Verdigris: NE / cone of thorns and spines; 2d6 points of piercing per age / forest
Russet: NE / cone of sludge; 1d8 points of acid per age on 1st round, another 1d8 points of age per age on 2nd rounds / swamps
Pink: CE / line of sound; 2d6 points of sonic per age / plains
Teal: LE / cone of rimefire (Frostburn); 2d6 points of cold and fire per age / arctic lands
Azure: NE / cone of lightning; 2d6 points of electricity per age / mountains

Feel free to post your comments

Last edited:

freyar

I think we were planning on cyan, magenta, and pink as creations we would do in this thread... maybe cyan and magenta are pretty close to teal and maroon, too. Just a thought. Hybridizing dragons is a pretty neat idea, though. Hmm.

RavinRay, care to post the details on the individual aquatic dragons, too?

Now that we have aluminum done (and JiCi has kindly posted other dragons!), are any of you interested in having a PDF made of these? I have a very basic template to plug these in. As a sample, here is a half-dragon manticore I statted up (for another conversion) with both old and new statblock formats and flavor. It'd be pretty easy for me to jigger the format a little, add illustrations, OGL, etc.

Attachments

• cult.pdf
    49.2 KB · Views: 365

RavinRay

Explorer
Sure I can... the hard part is doing the tables in CODE format, that's gonna take awhile.

As for a PDF, well I'm using Adobe InDesign to come up with my own template, and put the OGC dragons (chromatic, metallic, epic) into that one. I can create a new document, paste the text, and import the tables from Excel or Word. Then I can export it into a PDF.

Gothenem

Explorer
A PDF format of these guys would be really cool. I was planning on doing something similar once we got a few more dragons under our wings.

freyar

Like, I said, I'm happy to do the PDFs, or RavinRay can. I'm pretty mellow about stuff like that. :cool: If you have any comments about my format, though, I'd appreciate them.

Speaking of PDFs, if it's easier to put the aquatics in PDF form than on the thread, just do that! I'm just interested in the dragons!

So the peridot dragon will be fire subtype, I guess. What other kind of flavor would we like for this one? I find this helps picking out abilities.

Gothenem

Explorer
Obviously psionic, I was thinking of the Peridot dragon living in a savannah-type area, so long and sleek is what I'm thinking. Like all these "African Dragons" We are going with Improved Grab/Constrict instead of a fly speed, I think.

As for a concept, I was thinking something like wildfire. Large fires that happen in Savannah's fast and deadly

RavinRay

Explorer
I think this is the first plains-dwelling true dragon I've seen. I agree with the burrow ability. Based on the big cats of Africa and Asia, it could be an ambush-style predator, with a pounce ability. As the dragon ages, it becomes more difficult for it to keep itself concealed aboveground, so it ought to move to mixed brush/grass/scrubland to provide it concealment. Maybe it can have tremorsense?

We can use one of the energy powers that create fire as a spread or burst for wildfire.

A little digression for the aquatic dragons... I did a Word version of them, and also an update with Demodragon, subpsionic gem dragons (and their carnelian dragon representative to Sardior), the two other "missing" metallic dragons (electrum and pewter, to accompany the mercury dragon and to counter the orange, purple, and yellow dragons), as a PDF. I've also got the two jewel dragons, the amber and pearl dragons, in a Word doc. Which one do you want me to attach for you to review? And I just came up with a Aprilesque idea: semi-metallic dragons, named after the semi-metals in the Periodic Table: antimony, arsenic, and bismuth.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads