Creating Rock Dragons.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's my stab at it. The italicized description probably needs to be expanded to include frills, horns, sails, etc.

The dragon has a serpentine body, with thin layers of smooth scales overlapping each other. The scent of damp earth surrounds the dragon.

Slate dragons are benevolent tricksters. They enjoy playing harmless pranks. Slates are the self-appointed protectors of their chosen territories, ensuring that the environment and ecology of the area are not diminished by the actions of other creatures.

A slate wyrmling's scales are blue-gray. As the dragon ages, the scales darken, becoming dark blue or dark purple-gray with streaks of brown. Its old scales rarely drop off; instead a new layer forms over the previous one. Its eyes are indigo with silvery pupils.

Slate dragons lair in cool, rocky areas near large bodies of water, such as coastal cliffs or mountain lakes. Their lairs are usually tight, winding caverns, slick with sea spray or runoff from melting snow. Bronze dragons sometimes share their territory, until they tire of the unceasing pranks and unpredictable actions of the nearby slate dragons. White and slate dragons also cross paths frequently, resulting in occasional conflicts. Whites grow incredibly frustrated by the slate's sidestepping tactics, which counter their preferred method of sudden assaults.

Slate dragons can eat almost anything, including coastal birds and mammals, aquatic and cold-climate plants, and even rock.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Looks good, just need to add a little about it's horns, claws, and wings, as well as the color of their eyes (Purple perhaps?), and we're set.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I mentioned the eye color in the second non-italicized paragraph. ;)

Here's a second attempt at the italicized description...

The dragon has a serpentine body, with thin layers of smooth scales overlapping each other. Its wings, folded closely to its body, look like another layer of scales, but as they unfurl, they resemble a mainsail filled with wind. Three sets of horns curl back from its head, decreasing in size from the uppermost to lowest. The scent of damp earth surrounds the dragon, and its indigo eyes hint at great cunning.

Mistah J

First Post
Nice writing Shade!

It might be just me, but I'm thinking that all Rock Dragons should have, if not oversized, prominent claws since they deal with rock or live near rock or what have you. Especially if we pick up on the burrow speed idea that someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
I mentioned the eye color in the second non-italicized paragraph. ;)

Here's a second attempt at the italicized description...

The dragon has a serpentine body, with thin layers of smooth scales overlapping each other. Its wings, folded closely to its body, look like another layer of scales, but as they unfurl, they resemble a mainsail filled with wind. Three sets of horns curl back from its head, decreasing in size from the uppermost to lowest. The scent of damp earth surrounds the dragon, and its indigo eyes hint at great cunning.
Perfect. I'll fill in the blanks of the writeup (Hp, Dc's, ect), so now all we need is the combat text that comes before the ability descriptions.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mistah J said:
Nice writing Shade!

It might be just me, but I'm thinking that all Rock Dragons should have, if not oversized, prominent claws since they deal with rock or live near rock or what have you. Especially if we pick up on the burrow speed idea that someone mentioned earlier in the thread.

Thanks! :)

Good idea on the oversized claws.

Remove ads