Creating Rock Dragons.

Mistah J

First Post
Wasn't there a mention somewhere that one of the Pyrite Dragon's breath weapons produced a glitterdust effect? Although, I suppose that would count as a "disorienting" effect.

I like CN better than CE, I don't picture these dragons as wholly evil, just spoiled and maybe even a little bratty (I very much like Knight Otu's ideas).

Would these temper tantrums equate to rage-like mechanic for the Dragon, or are we thinking just for attitude/flavour-text?

Krishnath

First Post
I don't think a rage in the barbarian sense is a good idea. However, giving it rage as a spell-like ability usable a number of times per day is.

As for the secondary breathweapon, it's a cone of glittering disorientation gas (glitterdust and confusion combo). It is mentioned on page 1.

Incidentally, what subtype should we go with? I'm thinking earth.

Mortis

First Post
Krishnath said:
I don't think a rage in the barbarian sense is a good idea. However, giving it rage as a spell-like ability usable a number of times per day is.

I agree rage as a spell-like ability. But how often? How about 1/day per two age categories. So very young = 1/day, juvenile = 2/day, adult = 3/day etc.

As for the secondary breathweapon, it's a cone of glittering disorientation gas (glitterdust and confusion combo). It is mentioned on page 1.
So it is. :D

Incidentally, what subtype should we go with? I'm thinking earth.
Earth's fine, and it fits with it's acid breathweapon.

Regards,
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm liking all the ideas so far. Alot. :cool:

Based on the description of pyrite...

"Pyrite: A brass-colored mineral, FeS2, occurring widely and used as an iron ore and in producing sulfur dioxide for sulfuric acid. Also called fool's gold, iron pyrites.

Pyrite is also known as iron sulfide. It is one of the most common minerals on the Earth's surface. Many people call pyrite "Fools Gold" because the crystal resemble gold in color. Pyrite is much harder than gold and it looses its glitter quickly when exposed to the air. In fact when it is rubbed on a streak plate the streak will be green to dark gray. Pyrite has a hardness of 6.5 on the Mohs hardness scale. Its cleavage is cubic or not distinct."

...I'd suggest either a higher-than-normal natural armor for its progression, or perhaps stoneskin as a spell-like ability for higher age categories.

Maybe we could also use its crystal composition to tie it to the gem dragons somehow.

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
I'm liking all the ideas so far. Alot. :cool:

Based on the description of pyrite...

"Pyrite: A brass-colored mineral, FeS2, occurring widely and used as an iron ore and in producing sulfur dioxide for sulfuric acid. Also called fool's gold, iron pyrites.

Pyrite is also known as iron sulfide. It is one of the most common minerals on the Earth's surface. Many people call pyrite "Fools Gold" because the crystal resemble gold in color. Pyrite is much harder than gold and it looses its glitter quickly when exposed to the air. In fact when it is rubbed on a streak plate the streak will be green to dark gray. Pyrite has a hardness of 6.5 on the Mohs hardness scale. Its cleavage is cubic or not distinct."

...I'd suggest either a higher-than-normal natural armor for its progression, or perhaps stoneskin as a spell-like ability for higher age categories.

Maybe we could also use its crystal composition to tie it to the gem dragons somehow.
Well, if you have downloaded and looked at the slate dragon, you would see that I have decided to give the rock dragon a natural armor bonus equal to their HD+1 rather than their HD-1 which is the normal for dragons. I like the stoneskin idea. But I have no idea on how to connect it to gem dragons...

Also, can you belive that not one person that has downloaded the Slate Dragon doc file has left a comment on it?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Krishnath said:
Well, if you have downloaded and looked at the slate dragon, you would see that I have decided to give the rock dragon a natural armor bonus equal to their HD+1 rather than their HD-1 which is the normal for dragons. I like the stoneskin idea. But I have no idea on how to connect it to gem dragons...

Also, can you belive that not one person that has downloaded the Slate Dragon doc file has left a comment on it?

I had downloaded it, but hadn't caught the nat armor difference. Nice idea!

I'm not sure how to connect 'em to gem dragons either. :) Just a brainstorm.

And I can definitely believe that no one has commented. It seems like we have a very small niche crowd here in the CC forums, and we're probably all commenting as we go along. :heh:

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
I had downloaded it, but hadn't caught the nat armor difference. Nice idea!
That's what I thought as well, why should the Shadow Dragon be the only one whose natural armor is larger than it's HD?

Shade said:
I'm not sure how to connect 'em to gem dragons either. :) Just a brainstorm.

And I can definitely believe that no one has commented. It seems like we have a very small niche crowd here in the CC forums, and we're probably all commenting as we go along. :heh:

Yeah, but 19 people, come on! Someone should have had something to say. :D

Mistah J

First Post
Krishnath said:

Right, I guess I was just confirming that for my own sake.:D Rage as a spell-like ability fits the bill perfectly I think, as does the Earth subtype. I love the higher Natural Armour Bonus idea. From Shade's report on pyrite I think the dragon's description should include how only the younger ones look like gold dragons (and therefore try and act like them) and how as older pyrite dragons "loose their luster" they just get fed up with the whole thing and stop the charade after a while.

Krishnath said:

Let me be the first then!

I really like it (and I'm not just saying that becasue I had a minor hand in it). I think the idea of expanding the roster of True Dragons is a great one and I think the "Rock" theme is equally brilliant. Looking specifically to the Slate Dragon, I am a big fan of its non-combative nature (and its well-suited abilities). I am also inexplicably drawn to its serpentinesque qualities (shape, movement, appearance etc.)

And of course, best of all, I believe that mechanically speaking it is well designed and very sound.

I can't wait to build the others!

EDIT: Waugh! I went BLUE and I can't stop it!..... I blame you Krishnath!!:D

EDIT 2: Ok, I fixed it... Your off the hook this time Krishnath..

Last edited:

Remove ads