• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creating Rock Dragons.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So far we've just got rage and stoneskin suggested, correct?

Other ideas:

nondetection or another spell that makes its alignment indiscernible (to further the ruse that it is a gold dragon)

cone of fire (as cone of cold, except fire) to even further help the ruse)

geas/quest (like the gold, but to further its own ends rather than the causes of good)

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
So far we've just got rage and stoneskin suggested, correct?

Other ideas:

nondetection or another spell that makes its alignment indiscernible (to further the ruse that it is a gold dragon)

cone of fire (as cone of cold, except fire) to even further help the ruse)

geas/quest (like the gold, but to further its own ends rather than the causes of good)
Cone of Fire is iffy as it is a spell from Complete Arcana, and that book ain't OGL. It could be replaced by flamestrike probably. But I like the other ideas. Anyone else have any objections to it?

Knight Otu

First Post
We could call the spell-like ability firey cone. Of course, for a Dragon publication, we could duplicate one or two spells (I suggested that before, didn't I?)*. No objections otherwise.

*Apparently not. Maybe it was for one of Shade's Ferrous dragons?

Krishnath

First Post
Knight Otu said:
We could call the spell-like ability firey cone. Of course, for a Dragon publication, we could duplicate one or two spells (I suggested that before, didn't I?)*. No objections otherwise.

*Apparently not. Maybe it was for one of Shade's Ferrous dragons?
That is a possibility, although I would like people to be able to use this without getting the splat books.

Shade

Monster Junkie
There is precedent for this. I've seen other creatures that had a PHB spell, then in parentheses they state "deals fire damage instead", etc. I'm fine with a replacement fire spell, though.

Knight Otu

First Post
Krishnath said:
That is a possibility, although I would like people to be able to use this without getting the splat books.
Of course, if we duplicate the spell in the article, people would not have to get the splat. ;)

But until we are actually sure this might end up in Dragon, flame strike may be preferrable.

Shade said:
There is precedent for this. I've seen other creatures that had a PHB spell, then in parentheses they state "deals fire damage instead", etc. I'm fine with a replacement fire spell, though.
At the very least, the ToH II did that. With the end result that there are two different names for a cold variant burning hands in the same book ;) (icicle blast and frost fingers, I believe).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
the editors have stated that when you are talking about a mechanics issue (rather than a flavor/information issue) involving a non-core book, the best thing to do is repeat the info in the article. witness the "Thrall to Demon" feat in all three Demonomicon articles.

Krishnath

First Post
Yes, but since we don't actually know if these will end up in Dragon, I am hesistant to copy information from something that is not (yet) open source.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
you don't have to post the info here, just make sure it is available in your submission document.

Remove ads