Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Khorod

First Post
Rystil, those numbers look good. I say this as an amateur Rome-buf.

Abisashi, you know those '== Heading ==' things? Well, in many wiki designs those create a simple link nearbye that lets you specifically edit that section. The section ends when another '==' or '=' comes after it. You can nest these headings, so a two-equals heading that contains several threes and fours can all be one section for editing. For complicated RPG stuff, it simplifies things immensely.

That is one of the reasons why I kept using headings where I transferred posts, its almost reflexive after several months of doing all my RPG work in wiki-format. Plus, these large blocks of text without headings almost constantly require a search to track down things.

Rhialto, did you have any further cultural thoughts about Xaleris, or are you floating that out for us? I caught a slight Khali reference, I could do cruel things to the Dawnists...

Rhialto

First Post
Khorod said:
Rhialto, did you have any further cultural thoughts about Xaleris, or are you floating that out for us? I caught a slight Khali reference, I could do cruel things to the Dawnists...

I'm still fiddling with things, but this time I think I've hit on it. As for their culture, if Eyros is vaguely Greek/Roman, Xaleris is a sort of Persian/Egyptian crosshatch. So yes, you can do cruel things with the Dawnists, though I really want to get the idea across that Xal are very foreign to the rest of the world...

Good catch on the Kali reference. The devouring dread mother was exactly what I was thinking about...

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rhialto: I really like the new Xaleris. Way to go!

Sar: Comparing Eyros to any modern nation, even Australia, is not a good idea. Why? Because we have crazy-high population now. In fact, Over 50% of humans (by which I mean Homo Sapiens) that were ever alive in all of history are alive today, a fact that initially surprised me when I read it. As to the fact that Rome had bigger cities, that's why Eyrdeyn is even a Metropolis in the first place. If we went for strictly medieval feel, we simply wouldn't have a city that was of that size.

So why don't we compare to...I don't know...the Romans?

Rome: Augustus has 4 million citisens and some 36 million conquered folks in his census. And that was in all of Rome. So Eyros would probably support--at most--4 million Eyrians, and maybe a lot more elven villeins (assuming Eyrians enjoyed as much luxury as Augustan Romans). These numbers allow us to quadruple the wizards in Eyros, which is a good thing. We get something like:

400 normal Masks, 1000 PT, 2000 Enforcer Masks, 800 all other wizards and sorcerers combined

Last edited:

Sarellion

Explorer
Dis you read my post to the end?
I already put down the population numbers for western Rome and compared it to Eyros.

But I think my data is from a later date.

Rhialto

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Rhialto: I really like the new Xaleris. Way to go!

Well, thanks. I decided to drop the necromancy when I realized that it was the undead I wanted, not the lore. (Anyway, they still have some lore, it's just all religion now.) I see Xaleris as the ancient mysterious culture that Eyros has somewhat displaced as the premier power. They're old, traditional, and decadent, and they are plotting constantly to regain what they feel was taken from them...

Rystil Arden

First Post
Sar: I got some data that estimated that the 1 million-in-Rome only occurred at the maximum height of population that the Romans ever had in their entire time in existance, so if you used that, I can see why your numbers would be high. It went on to say that there were 65 million people then (only about 10% of which were citisens), and the numbers decreased from there (and Rome went down to 30,000 people from 1 million! Wow, that's a lot of people leaving/dying).

Edit: Oh, and for what its worth, Rome seems to have had about 100 Senators for every 1 million citisens (and 1 citisen for every 10 other folks). FWIW, only the citisens are going to be allowed to be wizards.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hmmm...I can't do geography, so I couldn't figure out Eyros's size, but now that I know what it is from Ark's post, we can really expect 1 million to be rather high for the population of citisens (if we have 6 million people living in the land, in Rome they would only have about 600k citisens). So let's stand by my earlier guesstimations of Eyrian wizards (400-350-200-150) that Khorod corroborated.

Oh and it was I who mentioned that comparing to modernity doesn't work well.

Thanks for the clarification Ark!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Contribution:

The people of Saagersberg worship Conquers Twice because they believe that he is the ultimate manifestation of the spirits of good. They believe that good and evil spirits, mainly incorporeal, float around the world and cause joyous events and maladies. As such, they consider incorporeal undead to be evil spirits. The people of Saagerberg have developed techniques to commune with the good spirits and exorcise the wicked ones.

Remove ads