• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

domino

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
In fact, Over 50% of humans (by which I mean Homo Sapiens) that were ever alive in all of history are alive today, a fact that initially surprised me when I read it.
It should suprise you. Because it's wrong. There will never be more living people than dead people.

Rystil Arden

First Post
domino said:
It should suprise you. Because it's wrong. There will never be more living people than dead people.
Care to back this up? Population grows exponentially in our crazy world, leading to surprising things such as this. If you do not believe me that our population growth is exponential, that's fine, but if you do, I give you this calculus argument to help you understand: The pure exponential function, e^x, has an integral equal to its value. This means that the current value of e^x is always exactly equal to the total area under the entire graph up to that point.

Sarellion

Explorer
I am not sure if the whole of the blue mountains belong to Eyros but counting hexes on the map on the height of Taljik-ka results in 30 hexes. According to the scales one hex is 50 miles. Opwards it ambigous but I would say 16 hexes upward from the coastline in height of Malarn - Ka. I just took 16 hexes to belong to Eyros and added the province of Aenajadin with 5x10 hexes = 250 x 500.

30 hexes x 50 miles= 1500 miles
16 hexes x 50 miles = 800 miles
These are : 1,2000,000 sq miles + 125,000 from Aenajadin = 3,072,000 sq km + 320,000 sq km
that´s 3,392,000 sq km

To compare it to the Roman Empire I used the size of the current Europen Union, that is 3,976,000 mio sq km. The European Union consists of the bulk of the western roman empire without the land in northern africa but has several lands that were outside the roman border, like poland, finland, estnian states and some others.

So for this ROUGH estimate I assumed the Size of the EU = Western Roman Empire.

Population is 22 million during the time of Constantine. probably not the height of the empire.
Then I substracted HALF the number of the population to account for smaller size, several other stuff and inaccuracies. I probably screwed up with the northern border, so could be less area, thats the reason I cut the pop in half.

Thats a rough estimate I just put together. I would say that the current population could be around 6 to 20 million people, whatever floats your boat. I personally would say 10 to 11 million people are subject to the empire, citizens, villeins and what else.

And Rystil I already said that Eyredyn is smaller than Rome. And the 30,000 number was after the fall of the Empire.

Last edited:

Sarellion

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Edit: Oh, and for what its worth, Rome seems to have had about 100 Senators for every 1 million citisens (and 1 citisen for every 10 other folks). FWIW, only the citisens are going to be allowed to be wizards.

And I heard it was 300 to 600 and that it was independant of citizen numbers. These were not representatives but roman nobles, sitting together.

but that´s not relevant, our senate has already been established

Rystil Arden

First Post
domino said:
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/dead.htm

Saying that the living will NEVER outnumber the dead was possibly wrong on my part. But right now, the dead still hold the title.
Good, that makes sense to me more than what I had previously read. In my view, it should take us a few more years to make up for the time when we were not increasing exponentially, but do so we shall unless we stop this massive population boom.

Sar: 22 million people in Constantine's time, but only 2-3 million of those were actually citisens. At its height, Rome had 65 million people, but most of them weren't citisens. Since clearly Eyros is not going to allow non-citisens to study with the Arcaneum even if they wanted to, we only need to worry about the citisens (unless we want to get pedantic with the sorcerers and their natural powers, but we really don't seem to be dealing with them much anyways; it seems that sorcerers are quite rare in Eyros, which is fine with me, as I never had much of a use for the class).

Rystil Arden

First Post
They were not representatives of the People, true, but I think Senate tended to grow as the aristocracy did, so it was reflective of the size of the upper class, which in turn was reflective of the size of the citisenry.

Sarellion

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Good, that makes sense to me more than what I had previously read. In my view, it should take us a few more years to make up for the time when we were not increasing exponentially, but do so we shall unless we stop this massive population boom.

Sar: 22 million people in Constantine's time, but only 2-3 million of those were actually citisens. At its height, Rome had 65 million people, but most of them weren't citisens. Since clearly Eyros is not going to allow non-citisens to study with the Arcaneum even if they wanted to, we only need to worry about the citisens (unless we want to get pedantic with the sorcerers and their natural powers, but we really don't seem to be dealing with them much anyways; it seems that sorcerers are quite rare in Eyros, which is fine with me, as I never had much of a use for the class).

The Arcaneum affair is closed for me. The numbers you proposed are ok. I like the Arcaneum as it is.

Last edited:

Sarellion

Explorer
We had a map with hexes and a scales. I thought people would know that I don´t pull them out of thin air. I didn´t want to blow the post more than it already was. I just didn´t realize that there was a step missing and people would get confused. I mentioned the 1,500,000 square miles in a post beforehand and nobody said anything so i just thought, ah ok, established fact and then forgot.

But yeah after counting hexes it´s about 30 and 16 hexes eac 50 miles but that´s very rough estimate on the northern border.

I included Ur but I am not sure.

Last edited:

Remove ads