creative exercise (worldbuilding?)

Rune

Once A Fool
dave_o said:
Rune, I love your story hours.

We should meet up and party sometime, before I move to San Diego in May.

:D

Hey, I'm all for it, but I don't have a car. Just recently graduated from Berea College, which is a mostly pedestrian college. :)

Anyway, drop me an email some time; we'll see if we can figure something out.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment about the story hours!

med stud

First Post
Halfway to our summerplace there is a place called Alvhem, which means "Elves' home"; that's pretty D&D to me. Then we have a couple of old fortresses named things like Lejonet (The Lion), Kronan (the Crown) and stuff like that.

Then the church in my hometown was built in the 13th century, and at that time they only made windows in the south wall, because they believed at the time that the trolls and giants came from the north, and didnt want windows facing that way.

sunbeam60

First Post
There's a hilly area near a friend of mine's place called Troldebjerg (Troll Mountain). I was quite saddened to learn that it is actually an old landfill overgrown :)

I live in Dundee, Scotland now and there's a whole heap of "game spots". My old halls of residence was called "Pinegrove", which was just next to "Blackness Library". From there, I followed "Horsewater Wynd" (an old road) down to uni.

There's a little house surrounded by an iron fence with dragonheads on each spike, not far from my flat, called "Dracon". Ahh, the times when you named houses.

alsih2o

First Post
the town i live in now has a restaraunt called "The Hut", it is 2 rooms and a kitchen.

if you go in at lunch or dinner one side has old men with supershort haitcuts, pressed t-shirts and good posture, laughing and telling jokes with cops.

the other side has a beggar, a few stoners, laborers and roadworkers.

the cook is a stereo/car thief who did 4 years in the county lock-up and one fo the waitreses is known for being a hard drinker and has lots of kids.

i am sure any of us here can transpose the figures into our gaming time period :)

Qlippoth

Explorer
Well, here in Somerville, we've got a few places that may lend themselves to this treatment:

The Burren (meaning "place of rock"; describes an area in Ireland about 250 square km covered entirely in limestone);
The Thirsty Scholar (alehouse I'd surely place in an academic quarter of any city); &
Redbones!

'Course, the fact that these are all drinking establishments is due merely to an unrelated alcohol problem...

Last edited:

Cintra

First Post
Not around where I live, but in Enterprise, Alabama, they have the Boll Weavil Monument. Check out their town web site for the full explanation. It would make a great magical artifact for a campaign city.

heimdall

Dwarven Guardian
In Charleston, SC: The Citadel

In Columbia,SC, there was The Arsenal, another college for the citizen-soldier of SC, but it was never re-opened after the Civil War, unlike The Citadel.

Around my home town: Old Sheldon Church and Cat's Island.

Sixchan

First Post
Hmm...

"The Aragon" It's a pub, but if you add an 'r' in there...
"The Barrowlands" A concert venue
"The Saracen Head" (or the "Sarrie Heid", if you prefer) oldest pub in Glasgow.
"Milngavie" (pronounced "Mul-guy") That's gotta be Elvish.
"The Burrel Collection" What's a burrel, I hear you ask.
"Cowcaddens" Could be, like, a farm, or something

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
heimdall said:
In Charleston, SC: The Citadel

In Columbia,SC, there was The Arsenal, another college for the citizen-soldier of SC, but it was never re-opened after the Civil War, unlike The Citadel.

Around my home town: Old Sheldon Church and Cat's Island.

Don't forget Bomber Island
Lake Murray Dam (I don't know if it is still the 2nd lagerest earthen damn or not)
Sherlock's is a below-the-street-level pub
The old Brick Foundary and if you check out the river the old landings.
There is also the underground tunnels but they are not open to the public.

heimdall

Dwarven Guardian
Sherlock's is a below-the-street-level pub

True, Sherlock's has a great feel to it that would make a perfect setting addition to any campaign, fantasy or modern. It's always dark, somewhat smokey. Bar is in the middle. Tables and chairs scattered around the bars, with booths along one side. The steps to get in and out of the place feel like you're descending into a dungeon.

Along those same lines are the sewer systems in Charleston. They are ancient. They're in a bad state right now... a perfect setting as well. This article gives a feel.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/5466898.htm

There's also the city squares in Savannah, part of the original design of Oglethorpe. I've used them heavily for a Werewolf: the Apocalypse game.

Remove ads