• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Creature Catalog 3.5 Overhaul Project

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade is right on that one; the female krakentua is more powerful, and should have a higher Con and Cha score than the male.

I really like the jade DR idea, as I think these guys should have something different from standard. Cold iron is an OK substitute though, I guess. And yeah, definitely a “if you’re using OA rules, use jade” blurb in there.

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
BTW, how do I quote Krishnath without the color going "funky" on the replies?
By deleting the color tags of course :p

Hmm... If the female is more powerful than the male, should that not increase her CR?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
the difference might not be a big one, but it could affect the CR. we'll have to reexamine the CR when we're done with them.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Oddly enough, I haven't seen color tags since we switched to the new board. Now I have the "WYSIWYG Editor" which allows you to change color like you do in Microsoft Word. :heh:

I suppose instead of doing a "quote reply" to your messages, I can do a standard reply and type in "QUOTE=KRISHNATH" myself around your cut n' pasted posts. ;)

Krishnath

First Post
Shade said:
Oddly enough, I haven't seen color tags since we switched to the new board. Now I have the "WYSIWYG Editor" which allows you to change color like you do in Microsoft Word. :heh:

I suppose instead of doing a "quote reply" to your messages, I can do a standard reply and type in "QUOTE=KRISHNATH" myself around your cut n' pasted posts. ;)
That could work :D

Shade

Monster Junkie
The krakentua breathes both water and air.
How do we want to handle this one?

Aquatic Subtype with Amphibious: Probably not appropriate.
Water Subtype: Still probably not appropriate.

Perhaps (borrowed from the green dragon):

Water Breathing (Ex): A krakentua can breathe underwater indefinitely and can freely use its special abilities while submerged.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Unlike male krakentua, female krakentua have a limited ability to fly, hovering through the air as if levitating themselves. The female can fly for up to 10 hours before she must immerse herself in sea water for a full day. When flying, the krakentua sheds a trail of dead octopi; the octopi are seldom larger than 3 feet in diameter. It is thought that the krakentua powers her flights by gating in octopi from the ocean and absorbing their life force.
We need to find a way to work the dead octopi thing into the writeup. That is too bizarre to leave out. Red Wings fans would agree. ;)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
How do we want to handle this one?

Aquatic Subtype with Amphibious: Probably not appropriate.
Water Subtype: Still probably not appropriate.

Perhaps (borrowed from the green dragon):

Water Breathing (Ex): A krakentua can breathe underwater indefinitely and can freely use its special abilities while submerged.

yes, that ability does sound right. :)

and we definitely need the "trail of dead octopi" thingie. ;)

more abilities to consider:

I’m pressed for time at the moment, so I’m just posting these abilities right now; we can discuss them further in the near future. :) (one thing I need to fix is that the name is misspelled “krankentua” in several places…)

The male krakentua attacks with its tentacles, using them like whips to inflict 1-4 hit points of damage each. A tentacle making a successful hit can also grab its victim, inflicting 1-10 hit points of crushing damage in subsequent rounds. A victim has a 50% chance of having one upper limb pinned, a 25% chance of having both limbs free, and a 25% chance of having both limbs pinned. The victim cannot free himself unless the tentacle is severed. Each tentacle has 15 hit points; this is in addition to the hit points of the body. A krakentua commonly wields weapons in its tentacles, preferring katana and wakizashi.

we currently have this:
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a krankentua must hit an opponent of up to Huge size with a tentacle attack. If it gets hold, it can constrict.

Constrict (Ex): A krakentua tentacle deals 2d6+8 points of damage with a successful grapple check against Huge or smaller opponents.

Obviously (read further below), we will have to rewrite separate entries for both the male and female as the damage is different.

A male krakentua can attack with his fists for 1-10 hit points of damage each, and can also trample any victims who fall under foot for 1-100 hit points of damage.

we have:
Trample (Ex): Krakentua can trample Gargantuan or smaller opponents for 8d12+16 points of damage. Opponents that do not take an opportunity attack can attempt a Reflex save (DC 51) for half damage.

He can spit a stream of cherry milk at any single victim up to a distance of 100 feet; the victim must save versus poison or be blinded for 2-12 segments.

we have:
Spit (Su): Male krakentua only; line of cherry-milk acid, once every 1d4 rounds, 100 feet, blindness for 2d6 rounds; Reflex save (DC 44) to avoid.

He can belch a cloud of foul red mist 50 feet in diameter; victims within the mist cloud must save versus poison or suffer 1 hit point of damage.

we have:
Mist (Su): Male krankentua only; cone of mist, once per round, 50 feet, 1d4 points of damage; Fortitude save (DC 44) negates.

Female krakentua are considerably more powerful than male krakentua. Their tentacles strike for 1-8 hit points of damage and inflict 2-12 hit points of constriction damage per round.

right, see above. ;)

In addition to all of the abilities of the male,

got that?

females have continual ESP, clairaudience, detect lie detect evil, and detect good.

we have:
Spell-Like Abilities: Female krankentua only; at will—detect evil, clairaudience/clairvoyance, detect good, and detect thoughts. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 12th-level sorcerer (save DC 14 + spell level).

They can induce lifelike dreams in intelligent victims that are indistinguishable from reality. While her victims experience the dreams, the krakentua is able to imprint their mental auras so that she can track them later; the more energy expended by the victims in their dreams (for instance, if the victims imagine they are fighting for their lives), the stronger the imprint. The stronger the imprint, the greater the krakentua’s ability to find them later. Creating the dreams is extremely stressful for the krakentua; she is unable to create dreams for more than an hour a month and never more than three dreams in succession.

and this gives us a nice long description:
Dream Imprint (Su): A female can induce dreams in a sleeping opponent. The krankentua imprints the dreaming target’s aura with a sign that allows the female to track the target at a later date.

The sleeping victim is allowed a Will save (DC 40) to reject the dream. If the save fails the krakentua can imprint the target’s mind for up to 1 hour.

For every 10 minutes spent imprinting a target, the krakentua gains a +2 to its Wilderness Lore roll to track the target. It can track a target anywhere on the same plane of existence as if using a discern location spell. The krakentua can move at full speed while tracking a target in this manner.

The tracking bonus disappears after 1 week as the imprint fades from the target’s aura.

Creating the dreams is extremely stressful for the krakentua. She cannot create dreams for more than an hour a month, and she can never create more than three dreams in immediate succession.

Remove ads