Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

Shade

Monster Junkie
Good idea. Updating...

Wingbind (Su): Once per day, a bramble may target the wings of a single creature of Small size or smaller within 120 feet with an entangling net of thorny vines. The target must succeed on a DC X Reflex save or its wings become ensnared and it immediately falls to the ground, taking falling damage as normal. This affects only the creature's wings; other movement modes are unaffected.

An ensnared creature can escape with a successful DC X Escape Artist check or burst the vines with a DC X Strength check. However, each attempt to burst the vines results in 1d4 points of piercing damage from the thorns. Spells that affect plants, such as diminish plants, can also release the victim.

A target that fails its save remains ensared for 6d6 rounds. The save and check DCs are Charisma-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Still, most of these features are usually hidden by the plate-mail armor that they wear under normal circumstances, and even the wing-spines that come out of holes in the armor’s backplate can easily be mistaken as longer versions of the artificial spines covering the rest of the bramble’s armor.

Are we going to include plate armor? With half-plate, they'd break even on AC (as the AC bonus = their Dex modifier, and half-plate allows +0 Dex).

Skills: 28

Feats: Dodge (B), Weapon Finesse (B), 1 more

Challenge Rating: 1?

Treasure: Standard?

Alignment: Always neutral evil?

Advancement: 1 HD (Diminutive)?

Level Adjustment: +3?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, if we want to boost the AC, we could make a unique armor, like the 3.0 version.

I'm not quite sure I get the spined defense on these. A hand-held short sword wielded by a Medium creature shouldn't really expose the Medium attacker to the spines, should it?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well, if we want to boost the AC, we could make a unique armor, like the 3.0 version.

I definitely am not advocating raising the already crazy-high-for-its-CR AC! I wasn't sure if we wanted to keep half-plate for flavor, which would cause the AC to break even.

I'm not quite sure I get the spined defense on these. A hand-held short sword wielded by a Medium creature shouldn't really expose the Medium attacker to the spines, should it?

Good point. It should really be unarmed strikes and natural attacks only, eh?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Why don't we list the plate as an option?

Yeah, I think that's what I meant. Or hand-held weapons for Tiny or smaller creatures?

Remove ads