Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

Cleon

Legend
Yes, let's just make the "temporary HD" into 24-hr negative levels. And capping at 10HD is fine.

But what if it's advanced to 10 HD or more? It'd be better to make it a set number - a maximum of 6 negative levels would match the original. Alternatively, it could be a (*1.5?) multiple of its level, or both (e.g. maximum negative levels equal to its Hit Dice or 6, whichever is more).

Hmm, I prefer the last solution.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, yes, I was thinking of 10 negative levels, I guess. But any of those works. The last is probably best.

Cleon

Legend
Actually, yes, I was thinking of 10 negative levels, I guess. But any of those works. The last is probably best.

10 levels is too many for my tastes. How about averaging it with the 6 levels I proposed earlier for 8 ranks, or twice the base HD?

Cleon

Legend
Want to change the whisper or wail, or are we happy with them?

Well they'd do in a pinch, but I'm not exactly fond of them.

Why are they (Sp)? I don't mind them being SLAs, but I'm kind of curious about the thinking behind it. The Captivating Song of a Harpy is (Su).

Shouldn't the Whisper be a sonic mind-affecting enchantment (compulsion) effect and the Eerie Wail a sonic mind-affecting fear effect?

Can bardic countersong oppose these attacks?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, I have to agree with you on all those counts. Definitely should be Su, and bards should certainly be able to counter them. Ok, here's the 3.0 versions:

Whisper (Sp): Soul beckoners possess a sonic charm attack that reaches a range of 240 feet. Creatures hearing the whispers must roll a successful Will save (DC 14) or be drawn toward the soul beckoner. A successful saving throw negates the whisper. Creatures drawn to a soul beckoner are attacked by the monster and are considered flat-footed (even if they are normally immune to being caught flat-footed), but a successful hit breaks the enchantment of the whisper. Otherwise, victims are allowed a Will save every round to escape the creature's enchantment with a cumulative +2 bonus per round. A silence spell or a character incapable of hearing prevents the effects of the whisper.

Eerie Wail (Sp): If a soul beckoner’s whisper attack fails, the victim hears an eerie wailing sound. The character must then roll another successful Will save (DC 14) or flee in terror for 1d4+1 rounds. A silence spell or a character incapable of hearing prevents the effects of the wail.

Perhaps we should combine these into a single ability, too.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed as well. In early 3e, it seems Sp was used far more often, sometimes inserted like a square peg in a round hole. :)

Remove ads