• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

Cleon

Legend
Yes, I like the final Eerie Whispers. The only question is whether to work in that it is also a fear effect (or the last part of it). What do you think? Or can "fleeing" be considered a compulsion rather than fear?

Well the "panic" in "flee in panic" says it should be a fear effect, so we ought to either add a fear effect or subtract the panic.

Hmm, some might consider that last sentence a little odd.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm for dropping panic, I think. Then we don't need to make it a fear effect. My only concern is if that violates the spirit of the original too much. It's a little vague, since they don't mention that paladins might be immune, etc.

Cleon

Legend
I'm for dropping panic, I think. Then we don't need to make it a fear effect. My only concern is if that violates the spirit of the original too much. It's a little vague, since they don't mention that paladins might be immune, etc.

So something like "compelled to flee" then?

Cleon

Legend
A fear effect suits me.

I'd be happy with one.

Revising...

Eerie Whispers (Su):
As a standard/free/swift action, a soul beckoner can whisper eerily. Creatures within 240 feet who hear the whispers must succeed on a DC 14 Will save or be drawn toward the soul beckoner. Creatures drawn to a soul beckoner are attacked by the monster and are considered flat-footed (even if they are normally immune to being caught flat-footed), but a successful hit breaks the effect. Otherwise, victims are allowed a Will save every round to escape the whispers' call, with a cumulative +2 bonus per round. When a victim successfully saves versus the draw of the whispers, they must make an additional DC 14 Will save or flee in panic for 1d4+1 rounds.

This is a sonic, mind-affecting enchantment effect (compulsion, fear). The save DCs is Charisma-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, harpies don't specify. Su effects are generally standard actions, but speech or song is usually free. Want to leave it unspecified?

Cleon

Legend
Free says me. :p

Finalising?...

Eerie Whispers (Su):
As a free action, a soul beckoner can whisper eerily. Creatures within 240 feet who hear the whispers must succeed on a DC 14 Will save or be drawn toward the soul beckoner. Creatures drawn to a soul beckoner are attacked by the monster and are considered flat-footed (even if they are normally immune to being caught flat-footed), but a successful hit breaks the effect. Otherwise, victims are allowed a Will save every round to escape the whispers' call, with a cumulative +2 bonus per round. When a victim successfully saves versus the draw of the whispers, they must make an additional DC 14 Will save or flee in panic for 1d4+1 rounds.

This is a sonic, mind-affecting enchantment effect (compulsion, fear). The save DCs is Charisma-based.

Remove ads