• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creature Catalogue Overhaul Project Revisited

Cleon

Legend
Yes, let's just make the "temporary HD" into 24-hr negative levels. And capping at 10HD is fine.

But what if it's advanced to 10 HD or more? It'd be better to make it a set number - a maximum of 6 negative levels would match the original. Alternatively, it could be a (*1.5?) multiple of its level, or both (e.g. maximum negative levels equal to its Hit Dice or 6, whichever is more).

Hmm, I prefer the last solution.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, yes, I was thinking of 10 negative levels, I guess. But any of those works. The last is probably best.

Cleon

Legend
Actually, yes, I was thinking of 10 negative levels, I guess. But any of those works. The last is probably best.

10 levels is too many for my tastes. How about averaging it with the 6 levels I proposed earlier for 8 ranks, or twice the base HD?

Cleon

Legend
Want to change the whisper or wail, or are we happy with them?

Well they'd do in a pinch, but I'm not exactly fond of them.

Why are they (Sp)? I don't mind them being SLAs, but I'm kind of curious about the thinking behind it. The Captivating Song of a Harpy is (Su).

Shouldn't the Whisper be a sonic mind-affecting enchantment (compulsion) effect and the Eerie Wail a sonic mind-affecting fear effect?

Can bardic countersong oppose these attacks?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, I have to agree with you on all those counts. Definitely should be Su, and bards should certainly be able to counter them. Ok, here's the 3.0 versions:

Whisper (Sp): Soul beckoners possess a sonic charm attack that reaches a range of 240 feet. Creatures hearing the whispers must roll a successful Will save (DC 14) or be drawn toward the soul beckoner. A successful saving throw negates the whisper. Creatures drawn to a soul beckoner are attacked by the monster and are considered flat-footed (even if they are normally immune to being caught flat-footed), but a successful hit breaks the enchantment of the whisper. Otherwise, victims are allowed a Will save every round to escape the creature's enchantment with a cumulative +2 bonus per round. A silence spell or a character incapable of hearing prevents the effects of the whisper.

Eerie Wail (Sp): If a soul beckoner’s whisper attack fails, the victim hears an eerie wailing sound. The character must then roll another successful Will save (DC 14) or flee in terror for 1d4+1 rounds. A silence spell or a character incapable of hearing prevents the effects of the wail.

Perhaps we should combine these into a single ability, too.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Agreed as well. In early 3e, it seems Sp was used far more often, sometimes inserted like a square peg in a round hole. :)

Remove ads