Critical Role Announces Two New RPGs

Illuminated Worlds and Daggerheart coming soon

Critical Role’s publishing arm, Darrington Press, has released a ‘State of the Press’ video announcing two new tabletop RPGs.

FA5E30D0-738D-4460-91B4-B8B4A4A67C21.png

Two new RPG systems we’ll be releasing: Illuminated Worlds, optimized for short story arcs and adaptable to myriad settings, and Daggerheart, a fresh take on fantasy RPGs with emphasis on longer campaigns and rich character options.

At Gen Con this year, you’ll be able to play AND purchase Queen by Midnight, and you’ll even be able to take our two upcoming RPGs for a spin. We hope to see you there!

elawai

Community Supporter
There have been no DND Beyond ads on the Critical Role shows for a couple months. Initially this looked like they were just supporting the community on the recent controversies, but it looks like CR is putting out a competing product. If CR goes with Daggerheart for their next full campaign, a lot of new players will be introduced to that game before DND. This could be very interesting. I don't think it will become the #1 RPG system, but it will take a good bite out of DND.

Nathaniel Lee

Adventurer
If CR goes with Daggerheart for their next full campaign, a lot of new players will be introduced to that game before DND. This could be very interesting. I don't think it will become the #1 RPG system, but it will take a good bite out of DND.
I'm curious what the growth of the Critical Role user base is. I'd be surprised if viewer numbers are still exploding at anywhere near the levels from years ago. It'll definitely put this game in front of some people before they even know what D&D is, but how much will that really be? I'm also trying to gauge myself how much longer we're going to see this campaign run... if they stay on the same pattern, it should end somewhere around October 2024, but honestly I couldn't even imagine this campaign lasting that long (but maybe that's just my own bias since I've found this one to be a lot harder to stay interested in).

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Sweet. Now we get to see if CR will switch to their own RPGs for their live streams. Or just use their own stuff for one shots or shorter campaigns.

Daggerheart is a new system. “For now we can simply say that it uses a new system designed for long-term fantasy campaign play, with rich options as your characters progress.”

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm also trying to gauge myself how much longer we're going to see this campaign run... if they stay on the same pattern, it should end somewhere around October 2024, but honestly I couldn't even imagine this campaign lasting that long (but maybe that's just my own bias since I've found this one to be a lot harder to stay interested in).
Same. The split party is killing my interest.

And considering the stuff they’re dealing with in the game, it could end a lot sooner than next October.

Though I gotta admit, I am enjoying not having absurdly long ads in front of the game.

“We play Daggerheart…”

OB1

Jedi Master
It's been the opposite for me, the split party has me really enjoying this campaign.

As for the announcement, on one hand, why put out a system for long campaigns and not promote that via playing it on the show when C3 ends, but on the other, the partnership with D&D has been a huge boon to both sides, and there is a lot of risk for CritRole moving away from 5e. I remember a hugely popular realplay podcast back in the 4e days (Critical Hit, which is great) that faded when they didn't make the 4e to 5e switch.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads