• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role Critical Role removes hundreds of YouTube videos and podcast episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I generally always disliked his vibe, which often struck me as oddly mean-spirited for CR (he was just always steering conversations to weird put-down humor, which I know is how some people express genuine affection, but it just stuck out like a sore thumb a lot of the time in CR content). He also struck me as weirdly full of himself amongst people who generally do a pretty good job of keeping whatever egos they have in check.

I might have watched his very well put together Undeadwood mini campaign again at some point if I had known it was disappearing, and the several of his "Between the Sheets" long-form interviews with various CR and CR-adjacent people I've seen seemed likely to be some of the best sources of information on their lives available. He was pretty ubiquitous in all the CR content not related to the campaigns for several years, as he was basically their go-to host for everything an actual cast member couldn't or didn't want to host for several years. So generally a lot of content has disappeared her, some of it worth actually seeing. But he was usually a presence I just barely tolerated, and although he parted ways with Critical Role a couple years ago I am glad to see him more definitively gone.

They made lot of content unavailable. Whether doing so was justified or not, that sucks for fans who might want to watch that content.

I definitely understand this feeling. I was annoyed when Netflix removed the D&D episode of Community.

OTOH, it's also a very, very modern concept to expect content to be available forever. It's not like you can just watch specific past episodes of Jeopardy, SNL, the news, or <insert appropriate sport>. Heck, even some relatively modern and popular TV shows like Moonlighting are completely unavailable sometimes. As a guy who grew up when Disney had "The Vault" instead of Disney+, I feel like the stories of "my hard copy still works" are a parable, not a complaint. The lesson is: if you want media to be available, it's your responsibility to cultivate the library. Don't expect someone else to do it for you.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Extremely sad situation, makes sense this would happen. Real shame about the Between the Sheets interviews in particular, those were well done. But this was inevitable, considering.

Clint_L

Hero
The first time I watched content with him in it he kinda had this weird thing about him. I don't know how to describe it but something about him I just didn't like. I feel bad for Ashley though.
I never liked him. At all. He's a terrible emcee at their live shows but unfortunately they can't remove those. And as an interviewer he always made it partly about him. It always seemed like he had the job because of his relationship to Ashley Johnson. The allegations against him are extremely disturbing and I am horrified by what she had to deal with.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I definitely understand this feeling. I was annoyed when Netflix removed the D&D episode of Community.

OTOH, it's also a very, very modern concept to expect content to be available forever. It's not like you can just watch specific past episodes of Jeopardy, SNL, the news, or <insert appropriate sport>. Heck, even some relatively modern and popular TV shows like Moonlighting are completely unavailable sometimes. As a guy who grew up when Disney had "The Vault" instead of Disney+, I feel like the stories of "my hard copy still works" are a parable, not a complaint. The lesson is: if you want media to be available, it's your responsibility to cultivate the library. Don't expect someone else to do it for you.
I wish I could find physical media of some stuff. Weird old variety shows like Sábado Gigante. No digital available either. Just poof. Gone.

Its interesting that Orion Acaba’s behaviour seems to have only led to him leaving the show, not retroactively being deleted. Though it might be because with him it was being a bad player and untrustworthy rather than openly abusing a cast member.

Its interesting that Orion Acaba’s behaviour seems to have only led to him leaving the show, not retroactively being deleted. Though it might be because with him it was being a bad player and untrustworthy rather than openly abusing a cast member.
Probably, though it may also have to do with Orion being in basically all their content at the time he left, being an integral part of the first however many episodes of their flagship content to this day, and possibly that Campaign 1 is to some degree Geek and Sundry's content. It also may have to do with whatever contractual arrangements they have with Mr. Foster.

In any case, disappearing actual episodes of one of the main campaigns, something that would-be new fans are likely to seek out and become frustrated if they can't find, is a very different thing than disappearing the various secondary content they fill out their channel with.

Cordwainer Fish

Imp. Int. Scout Svc. (Dishon. Ret.)
Disney still has the Vault; it's just that it is down to one occupant, Song of the South, chained to a wall in a bricked-over alcove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads