• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role Critical Role removes hundreds of YouTube videos and podcast episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MGibster

Legend
And, it's the state of media today. Opining about how physical media is superior . . . is like opining about the days of 8-tracks and cassette tapes.
Sometimes I wish people would read what I typed rather than what they think I typed. I'm not arguing that physical is superior. I abandoned my record player for the casette, my cassette for the CD, and then my CD for digital. Like most technology, digital it has its advantages and its disadvantages and I would argue the former outweighs the latter. If you don't think getting rid of content is a problem, well, okay, you don't think it's a problem. I consider this kind of thing one of the drawbacks of going digital.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Sometimes I wish people would read what I typed rather than what they think I typed.
It seems to be a common thing on the net.
I'm not arguing that physical is superior. I abandoned my record player for the casette, my cassette for the CD, and then my CD for digital. Like most technology, digital it has its advantages and its disadvantages and I would argue the former outweighs the latter. If you don't think getting rid of content is a problem, well, okay, you don't think it's a problem. I consider this kind of thing one of the drawbacks of going digital.
Exactly.

Clint_L

Hero
Sometimes I wish people would read what I typed rather than what they think I typed. I'm not arguing that physical is superior. I abandoned my record player for the casette, my cassette for the CD, and then my CD for digital. Like most technology, digital it has its advantages and its disadvantages and I would argue the former outweighs the latter. If you don't think getting rid of content is a problem, well, okay, you don't think it's a problem. I consider this kind of thing one of the drawbacks of going digital.
What bothers me is that you don't seem to be looking at the situation from Ashley Johnson's point of view, and seem entirely focused on others' right to access CR's content. The analogy to a Wham! album is just weird; nobody is losing access to something that they purchased so who knows where you were going with it.

The CR team have chosen to protect their friend and colleague, and to take away her abusers's platform, at a significant financial cost to themselves. The content belongs to them, not to anyone else, and if they wish to remove it, that is their right. I also think it is a morally laudable move.

And let's be clear: Critters are overwhelmingly supportive of this move, support Ashley Johnson, and don't wish to support her abuser. So who are you arguing on behalf of, here?

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The first time I watched content with him in it he kinda had this weird thing about him. I don't know how to describe it but something about him I just didn't like. I feel bad for Ashley though.
Me too, though my only contact was when he intorduced the live shows but my immediate reaction to a few seconds of him was skip to the main event. Needless to say I was not watching it live.

Yeah that's a brutal title to have, instead of focusing on the harm and abuse Ashley Johnston faced at the hands of a fiance and boyfriend.

My god. What a horrific situation. I am not into Critical Role anymore and have criticism of them but I am glad that they are doing the right thing and supporting Johnson and removing her abuser from the situation.

I generally always disliked his vibe, which often struck me as oddly mean-spirited for CR (he was just always steering conversations to weird put-down humor, which I know is how some people express genuine affection, but it just stuck out like a sore thumb a lot of the time in CR content). He also struck me as weirdly full of himself amongst people who generally do a pretty good job of keeping whatever egos they have in check.

I might have watched his very well put together Undeadwood mini campaign again at some point if I had known it was disappearing, and the several of his "Between the Sheets" long-form interviews with various CR and CR-adjacent people I've seen seemed likely to be some of the best sources of information on their lives available. He was pretty ubiquitous in all the CR content not related to the campaigns for several years, as he was basically their go-to host for everything an actual cast member couldn't or didn't want to host for several years. So generally a lot of content has disappeared her, some of it worth actually seeing. But he was usually a presence I just barely tolerated, and although he parted ways with Critical Role a couple years ago I am glad to see him more definitively gone.
This, you described what I couldn't put into words about how I felt when I first saw him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads