• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cross class skills cap

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Right, so cross class skills are capped at 1/2 what they would be if they were class skills - even though the amount of skill points needed to reach that point would be the same.

Now for some reason I am recalling a rule - and it may well have been a house rule, though I hope not - where if you had the skill as a class skill for one of your classes it removed the cap. Thus you could spend double to bump a skill up if you really needed to meet requirements, etc.

Anyone ever heard of anything like that? And preferably - in the unlikely event it is real - a reference for the rule.

bobhayes

First Post
It's not a house rule. Your skill points for the level in the class where the skill was a class skill counted full. It didn't remove the cap, it just allows a higher cap, and you can spend skill points up to the cap when you level in the new class.

So say I have a Barbarian 10. He could have up to 6.5 ranks in Knowledge - Arcana (his level + 3 divided by two), but say he never took any. Now he decides to multiclass to Wizard for his 11th level - since K-A is a class skill for wizards, his new cap is (level + 3) so he could have 14 ranks now if he somehow got the skill points. If he has six new skill points at the level (he's a real smart barbarian), he could spend them all to buy Knowledge-Arcana; he could do that for a few levels and "catch up" if he wants to.

Going forward for him, whether the skill costs 2 pts per rank or 1 pt per rank depends on whether he's taking a level of barb or wiz, but his cap will always be level + 3, because the skill is a class skill for one of his classes.

TL;DR: the cap (level + 3, or level + 3 / 2) is controlled by whether the skill is on ANY of your class skill lists. The cost per rank is dependent on what class you're leveling.

Source: Skills Summary :: d20srd.org

FEADIN

Explorer
The confusion comes from the change between 3.0 and 3.5 on cross class skills, they were handled differently.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
So just to ensure I have this right...

Let's say I wish to qualify for a PRC which requires Hide 8 ranks, and Spot 8 ranks and I wish to take only one level of rogue and the rest in wizard.

I put 4 ranks in Hide and Spot at 1st, and then spend 16 skill points to advance both skills to 8 ranks by 5th level. Thus qualifying for my PRC - its Unseen Seer btw and I would be getting search via Elf Generlaist Racial Sub levels. Does that work?

Thank you for your input btw, much appreciated. :D

ValhallaGH

Explorer
So just to ensure I have this right...

Let's say I wish to qualify for a PRC which requires Hide 8 ranks, and Spot 8 ranks and I wish to take only one level of rogue and the rest in wizard.

I put 4 ranks in Hide and Spot at 1st, and then spend 16 skill points to advance both skills to 8 ranks by 5th level. Thus qualifying for my PRC - its Unseen Seer btw and I would be getting search via Elf Generlaist Racial Sub levels. Does that work?

Thank you for your input btw, much appreciated. :D
Works perfectly, by the rules.

Have fun.

Remove ads