Crossed Paths - Part I

doghead

thotd
Marcus straightens and takes a step towards the cliff before returning to his horse and pulling out the crossbow and bolts. He swings the crossbow across his back and lashes the bolts into the quiver (?) to prevent them from floating away, and stuffs a couple of strings wrapped in oilcloth into his pouch. I'm more dangerous with this than anything, and thats not saying much. If I lose my hold I'll sink like a stone.

Manzanita

First Post
The climb

OOC: I’ll let the dice fall where they may. The climb DC is 5, increasing by 1 every 30 seconds. You descend at half your base speed for 200 feet. I’ll assume Octar carries the second dwarven rope with him.

Marcus ties the first rope around the tree (use rope check: 6(roll)+5(adj)+2(silk rope)=13. A secure knot). Then Octar bravely swings himself over the ledge.

It takes Octar(net climb check:+1) about 2 minutes to descend to the bottom. It is a physically and emotionally demanding climb. Already cold, the air gets colder the father down he climbs. Also, the longer he goes, the heavier his armor seems, and the weaker his fingers. The crashing waves beneath send a cold mist steeling upwards. At the bottom, Octar sighs with relief, finds a secure ledge, shivers, shakes his hands out, and looks up.

Next, Dhormium(net climb check +1) mutters a quiet prayer, and swimgs himself over the precipice. He awkwardly repells down only about 90 feet before a seemingly secure foothold suddenly gives way, jerking one chilled hand off the rope. He hangs for a moment, swaying away from the cliff, then unable to regain his grip, he plunges headlong into the sea, 110 feet below. (inflicts 3 pts subdual, and 17 pts normal dmg)(dropping him to 6 hps)

OOC: For Ehldannis, his feather fall would last 3 rounds, and would allow him to fall at 60 ft/round, for a total of 180 feet. He estimates the distance at about this, and might want to reconsider his strategy. Since he's smarter than I am, I suspect this would occur to him.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar swears and swings the rope off of his shoulder, wishing they had used the water breathing spell before they had begun their descent. If Dhormium landed near enough for a good throw to reach him, Octar will simply ready the rope (perhaps after tying it in a crude loop, if such is possible); if not, he will, as quickly as possible, string his bow and attach the rope to an arrow, hoping to get it to Dhormium that way.

Inez Hull

First Post
(ooc: can Ehldannis Featherfall next to the rope and catch on just near the bottom and climb the rest, or climb for a short way and then featherfall?)

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Inez Hull said:
(ooc: can Ehldannis Featherfall next to the rope and catch on just near the bottom and climb the rest, or climb for a short way and then featherfall?)
ooc: If you just try climbing for as long as you can manage, it activates automatically when you fall, right?

Manzanita

First Post
Dhormium resurfaces, but almost immediately sinks again under the weight of his armor. The current buffets him and he is soon able to grasp a rock and pull himself out of the water. With the help of Octar’s rope, he is able to reach the ledge against the shore. He is exhausted from the swim, and very cold. (3 more pts subdual dmg).

Any actions or plan modifications before Brioc descends? Ehldannis could either climb part way, then featherfall, featherfall holding the rope loosely, then try to catch himself near the bottom, or just climb and featherfall if he slips.

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
Gods, that's not a good start. Brioc watches as Dhormium struggles back to shore. Taking hold of the rope, he starts to climb down, a prayer on his lips as he descends.

Inez Hull

First Post
Ehldannis attempts to climb down the rope a short way, within featherfall distance of the base of the cliff and will then cast his spell.

Manzanita

First Post
Phase One completed

Next Brioc swings over the side to descend. He slips a few times, but remembering that you only fall if you let go, manages to hang on. He alights next to Dhormium and Octar on the ledge.

Then Nathaniel takes the rope. He makes it down easily, though, like the others, he is hands are cramped and once he stops moving, and at the bottom, he quickly chills.

Marcus likewise has an uneventful descent. Ehldannis, with the aid of his featherfall, also descends easily.

Now the entire party huddles on a narrow ledge, drenched by the crashing waves around them.

Remove ads