• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crossed Paths - Part I

Jarval

Explorer
Brioc relaxes for a moment, the two Neanderthal having fallen quickly. Then he hears Marcus' yell of surprise. He sprints after Octar and Dhormuin, readying himself for whatever may have befallen his friend.

Manzanita

First Post
The caves of the mist

Try this for a map; another DM whose game I'm in is using it for pretty good effect. Drop this text at http://www.irony.com/java/mmee
*BEGIN 0 0 rs 0
*s -1 3o 5c rs 0 0 3o 5c 3o 3c *s -1 3c 5c rs 0 0 3c 5c 3c 3c *s
@-1 4c 5w rs 0 0 30 4s 4c 5w *s -1 3c 5w rs 0 0 3c 4s 28 5w *s -1
@40 4c rs 0 0 3c 4c 40 3o *s -1 40 40 rs 0 0 40 40 40 20 *s -1 3c
@4c rs 0 0 3c 4c 34 1w 14 c *s -1 4k 30 rs 0 0 3g 30 4k 1w *s -1
@4g 2w rs 0 0 2w 2w 4g 1k *s -1 3o 2w rs 0 0 3o 2w 1g 1c *s 4 77
@71 rs 0 *s 5 6z 9a rs 0 *s 0 71 a5 rs 0 *s 1 72 ay rs 0 *s 3 7p
@bk rs 0 *s 2 6e bn rs 0 *s 6 5z 5e rs 0 *s -3 3u 5k rs 0 prey *s
@-3 59 76 rs 0 marcus *s -3 7k 7s rs 0 snakes *s -3 7i 93 rs 0 *s
@-3 42 bj rs 0 brioc *s -3 81 cb rs 0 ehldannis *s -3 7r ah rs 0
@dhormium *s -3 7k 9c rs 0 *s -3 5j a6 rs 0 octar *s -3 7l 9d rs
@0 Nathaniel *s -3 69 d6 rs 0 water
*END gokzop
In general, I'm waiting for Marcus' action at this point.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
OOC: the java crashes my browser. I'll try with IE later but for now.

"Aghh."

Instinct more than anything keeps Marcus moving, attempting to bound, leap and/or cartwheel through the clear areas, across the room to the North west exit.

if safely across Marcus slides to a halt in the entrance to the passage.

Wait and warn the others or go on? We have lost the surprise. Maybe ....

Marcus pauses long enough to sheath his daggar and draw his sword. If he can hear the others approaching, he will cup his hands to his mouth and shout "Snakes ahead!" (only as loudly as he thinks necessary) to warn them. [OOC: Listen +6]

Guilt Puppy

First Post
If Marcus is still threatened by any of the snakes, Nathaniel will move and strike at them, trying his best not to rile any of the others.

If not, he will attempt to get across the snakes as well, sheathing his sword in the process, and in the coming rounds fire some arrows at the fleeing neanderthal.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
The snake rears up and hisses, but Marcus continues on, and it does not strike at him. The others begin entering the room and hear Marcus' warning. Marcus turns to see his prey, about 40 feet ahead of him, swish through a beaded curtain, and is no longer visible.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
As Octar enters the room, he comes to a dead stop, his eyes widening in surprise and, although he'd hate to admit it, fear. "Brioc?" he murmurs, not taking his eye off the snake, "What now?"

Jarval

Explorer
Brioc comes to a stop on seeing the snake, and gestures for his companions to step back from the angry serpent.

"Marcus, Nathaniel, kill the fleeing Wedol. Everyone else stay back, and I'll try to calm this snake down enough for us to get past safely."

(Wild Empathy +5)

doghead

thotd
Marcus sets off after his quarry at a run. As he approaches the curtain he slows and attempts to move up to it as quickly, but discretely as possible.

He approaches it carefully, taking advantage of any shadows and cover, eyes and ears peeled in an effort to discover what lies beyond.

OOC: Mv Silently +5, Spot/Listen +6, Hide +5.

Manzanita

First Post
Brioc sense that the snakes are not aggressive. They seem very well fed and somewhat placid. He feels as long as they're not stepped on or otherwise aggrevated, it would be safe to pass them.

Marcus reaches the curtain. Inside he hears jabbering in an unknown language by a male voice. A female voice starts to speak softly, and he hears a strange hissing.

Manzanita

First Post
Marcus

Parting the beads gently, he peers into the room.

The room seems to be naturally carved out of rock. But unlike the previous rooms, which have had floors, walls and ceilings of bare rock, the walls of this room are covered with tapestries. Silver incense braziers scent the room, and torches on the walls provide light. From the entrance in the south where Marcus stands, the room extends about 40 feet North and West, curving off in both directions out of view. On a raised Dias about 30 feet to the west stands two women. Both have the broad jaws, low foreheads, and wide eyes of the Neanderthals, but the similarity ends there. One is very old and wrinkled, with grey-black hair in natty dreadlocks. She wears painted leather armor and a scimitar hangs from her belt. The other is a stunningly well-proportioned young woman. She is very clean, has huge, full, upright breasts, a slender waist, and wide hips. Her hair is long, thick, and of lustrous black, woven with ribbons and beads. She is completely nude, and hairless except for her head. Beside the women stands a 5' wide stone column reaching the ceiling. In front of these women is curled a huge grey snake. It must be over 20 feet long. Its raised head gazes at the door with yellow eyes.

Remove ads