• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crossed Paths - Part I

doghead

thotd
Guilt Puppy said:
Anyway, moving on is fine, but I'd also like to offer to politely step out of Part II, if you'd rather open up a spot for someone who can post more frequently. When I have free time, four games is easy to keep up with, but I figure it's best to go by worst-case scenario, where I can really only keep up with one or two.

If the sporadic posting frequency isn't slowing things down, of course, I'd like to stick around. But if it is, I'm willing to bow out with no hard or hurt feelings whatsoever -- just let me know what you think would be best.

I'd like you to stick around too. We've all had our good days and bad days, but all in all its moving along nicely it seems to me.

Manzanita

First Post
GuiltPuppy, I would like to see you stay. The quality of your posts is quite high in my opinion, even if they're not particularly frequent. This game, like most, also benefits from a consistant cadre of characters, who are there from the beginning.

Ehldannis' spell finds magic in a tapestry, the left earring of the crone, and her scimitar. The tapestry is dirty and faded, but after a bit of study, Ehldannis thinks he can see the pictures moving. The earring is a simple white pearl. The scimitar is light and beautiful. It is inscribed in a language in which none of you are familiar, though Ehldannis thinks he recognizes it as ancient Melnibonean.

Manzanita

First Post
Conclusions

As 'threatened', I'm going to fast forward here. Feel free to go back if appropriate or continue on.

You climb out through the crude tunnels of the wendol. You meet groups now and then, dragging various items up towards the light. None attempt to impede your progess. All seem very afraid of you, and the grisly tokens you carry.

Finally you emerge into the light. You find yourself in a cave mouth on the cliff you had seen before from your earlier vantage point over the wendol camp. The whole camp now looks like an anthill, which was kicked by a wayward foot. The neandrathalls swarm about, tearing down their teepee-like tents, packing up their dogs and horses, gathering possessions and children, and forming into a large group near the river. They seem preparing to leave the area.

You head back towards the sea, where you last saw Mendicus and wolf. Brioc manages to track them, and you soon find them huddled in a small cave, save and sound, though wet and scared.

Together you make it back to Sevastopol without incident, although you travel warily, as you detect signs of orcs. There, your tale of bravery, and the bloody heads you carry, instantly convince the weary residents of your success. You are treated like heros, and offered anything the town has to offer. Weary from your harrowing journey, you happily relax and enjoy the wine, rich food, soft beds, clean clothes, hot baths, and attractive women, each to his own inclination. The town notables are all there, Rufus, the aging mayor, Burne the ancient greek wizard, Angrinion, the heavy drinking first mate and town sheriff, Y’dress, the priestess of Diana who profetized your arrival, and Tuli Popandreas, the merchant ranger.

During your absence, both Glaucon and Khenetsobek died from their mysterious illness. Ecgthow evidently recovered, and rode off into the night to pursue you, but has not been heard from since. Perhaps you’ll blunder into him again, for as a dark shadow ever at the edge of your vision, even in this time of comfort, you know you soon must leave, to brave even worse perils, in pursuit of your ultimate goal.

The following is a list of treasure you have so far accumulated. Please divide up what you will take with you.

Mithril chainmail, sized for a tall human (from the wendol ranger in the battle in the mist. Originally claimed by Glaucon)

Masterword dwarven dagger (from same ranger, inscribed in dwarven: “H. Balderk”)

2 black pearl earrings (worth 500 gps) (from same ranger)

Melnibonean scimitar, inscribed ‘There can be only one Master Race Sauron Bane’ (from wendol crone)

Magical pearl (from crone’s ear)

Silver Braziers (from crone’s room, worth about 200 gps, and weighing about 10 pounds each)

Tapestry (description to follow)

Also, the townsfolk are evidently willing to give you anything in their power. While this obviously does not include large amounts of gold, or magical items, they quite possibly have, or could make, things of use to some of you. Please ask about these in the IC thread. See OOC thread for experience notes.

Last edited:

Inez Hull

First Post
Ehldannis offers to Identify all the magic items on the proviso that he can claim anything that is of particular use to him - and if not he puts in a request for the tapestry.

doghead

thotd
light dances on the rough walls with shadows out of which crudely formed faces loom only to disappear always wide eyed with horror while mythical beasts sing triumphal hymns from the balconies and strangers with the wrong names and sometimes heads stumble and bump into him and curse and the blood drips drip splatter drip splatters down his arm and side and he emerges out of the dark of his caravan the light making him blink and squint with watery eyes at his family standing in silence and staring ...

The dream. Again. His heart is pounding. Things are changed. But even if he wants too, can he walk that path? Its time to find out. Tomorrow he talks to Octar.

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
(Okay, looks like I'll be around for Part Two then. Related warning: Over the next two weeks my posting should be pretty minimal -- I'm visiting family, and should be able to find some computer time, but like I said, minimal.)

Nathaniel suggests that all the items which are bound to be sold off (the braziers, the pearls, and possibly the tapestry) be kept as group treasure until they are sold, and divvy up the gold at that point... As far as the other items are concerned, he's not too interested in any of them.

Once in town, he'll take a refill of his rations (to his standard two weeks' supply), then, if they're pressing to give a reward, check into the possibility of finer weapons or armor. (Masterwork Longsword, Masterwork Studded Leather, and Masterwork Buckler, in that order of preference.)

Remove ads