Crossed Paths - Part I

doghead

thotd
Whoops - in the IC thread.

I agree with selling most of the stuff and going with gold. The scimitar sounds spooky, but the Mithril chainmail would be good - what constitutes tall? And who is G. Marcus probably won't refit til he gains the level, although, no, he would do it now, even if he has to just carry the stuff for a while. Still going to IC talk to Octar, Nathaniel and Brioc for advice.

"Hey Nathaniel, wanna go checkout the blacksmiths?"

Jarval

Explorer
Brioc basks in the knowledge of a job well done, enjoying the wine, rich food, soft beds, clean clothes, and hot baths that greet the group's return to Sevastopol. Perhaps an attractive young woman or two dallies in the druid's room longer than is entirely proper, but a vail shall be drawn over such matters...

Brioc also agrees with selling any non-magical valuables. He's mainly interested in the scimitar, although he wants to subject it to a barrage of detect magic/evil/chaos/law spells before he'll use it.

Following Nathaniel's lead, Brioc's going to restock his own supplies, and investigate what else the town has to offer. (Which should be read as me reading the PHB and seeing if there's anything Brioc's really lacking.)

Manzanita

First Post
There are two items that might warrant the identify spells, the pearl and the scimitar. While the villagers are not able (willing?) to provide you with gems, you are able to barter one of the pearls you have for 2 100 gp pearls and 50 gps cash. This would allow Ehldannis to cast identify on these two items. I suspect this would be worth it to the party and that they will do it. I will email results to Inez.

The smithy claims to be capable, but after a certain amount of conversation, you determine he is not capable of crafting masterwork weapons or armor.

With the help of the maid at the Inn, Ehldannis and any others who are interested, are able to do some rudementary cleaning of the tapestry. It seems to be some sort of a living history picture, continually showing scenes of battle. It is like a fuzzy 4 foot by 6 foot plasma TV. After a couple days, you still have not seen it repeat. Ehldannis guesses it is showing battles scenes from the ancient war between the Melnibonean elves and the lizard race. Vast battles are displayed, with explosive spells, hoards of soldiers and swooping dragons. It is quite fascinating, at least for a scholar. Ehldannis deduces that this would be worth quite a sum in Rome, or in the towers of the Elven scholars in the alpine woods of Switzerland. Trying to sell it elsewhere would be much less rewarding, he suspects.

Inez Hull

First Post
"I have determined the nature of the enchantments on both the pearl and the blade. As I suspected, the pearl will provide a useful, if not overly powerful enhancement to my magic. The scimitar however seems quite the historical relic. I was fairly certain that it was of Melnibonean origin and its magic confirms the fact. The blade itself only holds a minor enchantment but to that has been added an empowerment making it deadly to any reptilian humanoid, such as those depicted in the tapestry. Perhaps of greater significance than either of these though is the tapestry, truly a find. One can only wonder how it is that the Wendol came into possession of it."

Inez Hull

First Post
Whilst the rest of his companions enjoy the worldly delights of Sevastapol, Ehldannis will approach the wizard Burne, firstly to inquire what knowledge he may have regarding the ancient Melnibonean ruins of the region, his interest piqued by the treasure recovered from the Wendol. Once he has engaged him in conversation he will attempt to gauge the wizard's gratitude to Ehldannis and his companions. If favourable he will inquire about the sharing of magical knowledge with Rufus, or at the least the resupplying of spell components.

Ehldannis will also attempt to garner a Longow and arrows from the townsfolk if possible.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Marcus is quiet and withdrawn for the jouney back from the wendol caves. He speaks only when directly spoken to, and then says little. But their arrival back at the city seems to return him to good spirits.

He spends the next few days exploring in and around the city, coming and going at all hours and popping up in the strangest places. More than likely he misses a night or two night in his bed. But if around at mealtimes, he usually has a good story or two to tell about the people and places he has run across in his travels. He seems to bubble with enthusiasm for the city, the region and its people.

When not out and about, he can often be found in the yard beside the town barracks (the town guard, that which there is, having offered both the use of the space and their practice weapons), stripped to the waist and practicing the sword with Octar*. They trades blows back and forth across the dusty patch of ground, with Octar controlling things mostly. Marcus is not the swordsman that Octar is, but its not all one way. He is light on his feet, and quick with the lighter weapons. However, he does try out some of the heavier weapons, the longsword, the heavy mace. Anyone from the party stopping to observe will be invited join in, particularly those handy with such weapons.

Otherwise, he enjoys the soft beads and hot baths and good food much as the others do. Perhaps more so infact, given the beatings he has usually received at some point during the day. Octar is not the most gentle teacher.

*OOC: Asuming Octar agrees.

Manzanita

First Post
Burne

To Ehldannis, Burne says, "Ancient Melnibonean ruins? No, there's none of that about. Melniboneans haven't lived around here for thousands of years. Now the Greeks, we Greeks have settled this area for centuries. Long before the Romans. Did you hear that Alexander the Great once passed through this region? It was one of his generals, in fact, who started the Greek colonies on this peninsula. Ah...we're all that's left now, of those once-great city states. There are various theories about the downfall of the Greeks. Infighting is certainly one, but I know another. It is said that we Greeks enslaved the humanoids, the orcs and gnolls and other cruel races. But we got lazy, and they slaughtered us unawares. Yes, I think that's the true one for this region. Should stay away from those humanoids...But of course, you elves know better, don't you. You'll never fall. No primitive race will usurp your place on top. Not with all your wizardry." He strokes the many-stared cloak, symbol of his status as alumni of the great Greek magical academy, "you taught us Greeks all we know about magic. I just wish you'd taught us more common sense as well..."

When asked about sharing spells, he readily concurs. "I'm an old man, master Ehldannis. My best apprentice was one of those abducted by those beast men 20 years ago. Haven't found another good one since. I'm the last of my breed around here. Eventually Rome will enslave us in her velvet glove, and some watchmage will set up shop here, but I'm the last of the true Greek magicians. I've resigned myself. But perhaps you'd be interested in some of my spells. I've got components, writing equipment. Come, look at my books!"

He shows Ehldannis his spell books. I"ll email the spells in Burne has that Ehldannis doesn't, and that he can learn. It will take 7 days to copy them all into his spellbook. Also, Ehldannis, go ahead & take a longbow and as many arrows as you like onto your PC sheet.

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
During the return from the caves Octar, carrying the head of the young neanderthal, seems to imitate Marcus in every paticularity- with the noticiable difference that his gloom does not lift when they reach Sevastapol. Although he takes part in the clean clothes and good food as a matter of course, it is the wine which interests him, and the attractive women he forgoes entirely. He expresses no interest in any part of the treasure.

His initial binge, likely passed off as part of the celebration, gives way to a more gradual descent beginning each day around late morning, when Octar stirs from his bed, and ending with him either collapsing in his bed or passing out quietly in the corner of the inn. It is more than likely that Marcus benefits from Octar's lowered guard during their practice bouts, although Octar is more focused- perhaps "present" is the word- during those times than anytime else.

Every day or so, disregarding the danger of wandering Orcs, Octar will take his horse, his weapons, and a handful of wineskins and go for a ride. He returns as late as several minutes to an hour after dark on some days, his wineskins empty. Although the majority of his discipline has slipped, Octar still maintains his weapons on a regular basis, his Roman training showing in their careful maitenance. During the cleaning and sharpening itself he seems to be disconnected with the world, and afterwards his gloom remains.

Late one night, after a week in Sevastapol, Octar beckons Brioc over to his corner of the inn. He is deep in his cups, as is usual for the hour.

Jarval

Explorer
Taking a seat beside Octar, Brioc smiles jovially at his companion.

"It's been a good few days, has it not? Ah, if only all our endeavours turn out as well. Anyway, you wish to speak with me my friend?" He tries to draw the attention of one of the barmaids as he talks, lacking a drink of his own.

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"Yes sir," says Octar, his slow speech leaving the meaning of the honorific entirely unknown. "The days have been good. But too good. We need to move on- we have a job to do. And I think that... that we're only hurt by delay." Octar takes another drink. "We're slowing down." The statement is almost comical, considering his speech patterns.

Remove ads