Crossed Paths, Part II

Manzanita

First Post
At camp, Marcus and Brioc are spared wondering at the dim light, as suddenly a light bursts forth near Nathaniel's body. After a moment they realize it is Sergius' spearpoint. It had flickered out soon after he dashed off into the trees. Now it reignites. Moments later, Ehldannis appears from the bushes to the South.

The group then hears Marcus shout, although his words are difficult to determine.

About 70 feet to the south, Marcus crashes blindly through bushes and braches towards the voice. He growls as he encounters thick, thorny undergrowth.

"You are a fool." says Sergius. "Your death will be the last, & most painful, when we meet again." Marcus can then hear Sergius retreating.

doghead

thotd
Manzanita said:
About 70 feet to the south, Marcus crashes blindly through bushes and braches towards the voice. He growls as he encounters thick, thorny undergrowth.

"You are a fool." says Sergius. "Your death will be the last, & most painful, when we meet again." Marcus can then hear Sergius retreating.

Marcus pulls up, panting. He stands motionless listening to the sounds of Sergius retreating. Follow him! Let him go now and he will be back for the spear. Back with others.

But his body refuses. He stands motionless. His breathing slowly slowing. He contemplates the darkness and the jumble of branches and bushes that surround him. The sounds of Sergius' retreat fade, as does the voice in his head. He begins the slow process of making his way back to camp.

On the way back, it does occure to him to wonder who the "other" persuer was, but he has no better answer now than before. Perhpas the others will have some idea.

It is a bedraggled Marcus that limps into camp a little while later. His clothes are all pulled awry, his is face scratched and dirty and blood drips from his wound. You don't need to ask to know he lost Sergius.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar's mouth presses into a grim line. He does not ask Marcus how he is doing; he is alive, which is more than can be said for some. Besides, he rather thinks he knows the answer. After a pause, he says "We have a task to complete. But after that..." He shakes his head. "No. We talk of that later." He turns to Brioc. "Do you know... how do Nathaniel's people take care of those slain in battle?"

doghead

thotd
Marcus nods to the others as he emerges. He wonders what Octar is refering to, but is too tired to ask right now. He can pick up the thread of the conversation later. Right now he is more interested in securing the spear head.

But at Octar's next words he jerks around.

"Nathaniel?"

The look on the others' faces is enough. He slumps, seeming to collapse into himself a little. He says nothing, but his eyes roam the campsite for the body. He walks over to it and drops to his knees beside his fallen companion. We didn't know each other long or well enough to call each other friends. But I will still miss you, your counsel and companionship, your words and song.

"So long Nathaniel. Peace be with you," he says quietly. For a moment he remains there before rising.

He wordlessly stalks over to where the spear head lies. He squats down beside it and gives it careful consideration. {1}

"This was given to Sergius by the Red Dragon ArtaXerxsa herself, apparently. He places a great value on it. What do you make of it?"

ooc: {1} Marcus doesn't have Identify, but he has a few trap and magic device type skills and feats. Not expecting much, but thought I would ask what he notices/knows/finds out.

doghead

thotd
Marcus remembers something, obviously, for he does not wait for a reply to his question before starting again.

"There was another in the woods with Ehldannis and I. It was not any of you, was it?"

He looks up to see their confirmation.

"I got the feeling that he, .. it, was also hunting Sergius. Perhaps for this.

"I think we should keep our eyes open for the rest of the night."

Manzanita

First Post
Spearpoint

Marcus inspects the glowing spearpoint. It seems to be finely made, and inscribed with a script of some sort. It glows red, shedding light equivalent to a torch, and is quite evidently hot.

doghead

thotd
Manzanita said:
Marcus inspects the glowing spearpoint. It seems to be finely made, and inscribed with a script of some sort. It glows red, shedding light equivalent to a torch, and is quite evidently hot.

Marcus holds out his hand over the spearpoint, feeling its heat. But he doesn't touch it. {1} He can make nothing of it.

ooc: {1} Is any of the shaft (?) still attached to the spearpoint? If so, how much?

ooc: Intentions: Marcus will let Ehldannis deal with the spear. As soon as Marcus has given Ehldannis whatever assistance he requests, Marcus will get on with his next task - stripping the orc bodies of anything useful. He will collect it all into a pile near the fireplace. His purpose is twofold - to find anything of use to the characters, and to prevent any other orcs from ever using any of it. (I'm not sure exactly how he will go about this - burn the leather armour, break the sword blades, etc. The others might have some suggestions.) He will collect any equipment not wanted by the characters, but of decent quality if there is the possibility that it could be passed on to the local people for their use, or sold. If it is feasible to carry it.

Manzanita

First Post
The spearpoint remains imbedded in about an inch of shaft. The shaft seems to be of normal hard wood, and is attached by some sort of sinue. The shaft & sinue do not appear to be damaged by the heat.

There are 11 dead orc bodies. From these can be collected 4 sets of hide armor, 4 sets of leather armor, and two sets of roman chainmail. Also 4 shortbows, 4 shortswords, 70 arrows, 3 stone greataxes, 3 longswords and 3 heavy steel sheilds. The leader also wears roman chainmail, and has a beautiful orc double axe. He also wears an ornate neclace, clearly not of orcish make. Ehldannis estimates its value at about 500 gps. They also carry a variety of typical gear: sacks, dried meat, waterskins, boots and such.

Jarval

Explorer
Thomas Hobbes said:
He turns to Brioc. "Do you know... how do Nathaniel's people take care of those slain in battle?"
Brioc shakes his head sadly. "I know little of the Holy Land and its people, much less their rites. What should we do? I can give him a burial or cremation according to my own tribe's lore, but I do not wish to offend Nathaniel's spirit or his gods.

He sits by the fire, warming himself from the chill night air.

"A fine priest I make, with no knowledge of any culture outside of my own. Oh damn it..." He stares sorrowfully into the embers of the fire,

doghead

thotd
Jarval said:
Brioc shakes his head sadly. "I know little of the Holy Land and its people, much less their rites. What should we do? I can give him a burial or cremation according to my own tribe's lore, but I do not wish to offend Nathaniel's spirit or his gods.

He sits by the fire, warming himself from the chill night air.

"A fine priest I make, with no knowledge of any culture outside of my own. Oh damn it..." He stares sorrowfully into the embers of the fire,

Marcus drops a pile of weapons that he's collected from the archers. The air is cold but the work keeps him warm enough to work without a cloak.

"Burn him. Give him the rites of your people. If his gods are so petty as to be upset by our lack of knowledge of their ways, then he deserves better ones.

"The orcs we shall leave for the wolves and grubs.

"There is plenty of deadwood around. Build a pyre."

ooc: out of curiosity, am I right in assuming that the old "whip 'em back to the church for a quick resse" is not common in this setting?

Remove ads