• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crossed Paths, Part II

Jarval

Explorer
"He wanted the scimitar, which I was reluctant to give him. Failing that, he decided he'd take one of you instead, to complete some ritual he intended to perform. A ritual that you wouldn't have come back from." Brioc replies to Octar.

"When I refused those terms, he declared the ritual too important to risk, and tried to get someone by force. Still, he seems to respect the druidic customs to some degree, as he promised he'd do his best to keep me alive after the fight. I think he may have been at least partially biased against the scimitar rather than us personally, but given just how effective we've seen it be, I'm now even more reluctant to let something so powerful fall into potentially hostile hands.

"On another topic, he says that centipedes, bats, and a way back up to the surface lie behind the western door."

Brioc turns back to Gruk, putting a restraining hand on the lizardman's chest.

"Stay still! I only have one healing spell left to me today, and my companions are in grave need of it. If you open those wounds again, I'll have to rely on bandages to keep you alive."

Glancing back over his shoulder, he calls back to his companions.

"Gruk's awake again, and seems reasonably cooperative. If you've got any questions you'd like to ask him, I can translate."

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Octar snorts. "My only question is what to do about him. He's a barbarian who practices human sacrafice and attacked us." He pauses for a moment, glaring at the lizardman. "I spoke too soon. What does he know about the half breed- Sergius."

doghead

thotd
Once the fallen lizard folk are in the room, Marcus does a quick sweep of the floor to hide the evidence of the fight as best possible, then gets the eastern door closed.

Done, he turns and gets his first close look at the scimitar's handiwork. Nasty work it is too. Marcus knows from experience how tough the slinkys' hide is.

Octar seems to have the questions in hand, so Marcus about de-equipping and tying up the sleepers. Then he pulls his crossbow, loads it up, and settles down to keep an eye on them, while poking though his "haul".

ooc: dump the sleepers in the south south east corner.

Krilith

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
As Marcus points out his wounds, he manages a small smile. "You didn't look so good yourself. Shouldn't take Dhormium more than a moment's work."

~Dhormiums face twists into a broad smile and laughs loudly~

"Ghaha, you will have to wait my bleeding friend, Clangedin has told me he is weary off all my requests of the divine sort. It will require some serious prayer and a new day before i can tend your wounds. All I can help you with now are Brioc's and my own bandages...

Marcus, this western door will lead into that chamber that i have seen when we came down the stairs. it lies behind that big room with all the bats and their guano, those slinkys we saw comming around the corredor where most likely the ones we saw exiting the room."

~and with those words spoken the dwarf starts eating some of his packed foodstuffs, keeping a watchfull eye on Gruk and the scaled sleepers~

Jarval

Explorer
"What do you know about the mongrel? Did he go by the name of Sergius?" Brioc asks Gruk.

"If anyone else needs healing, I have one last spell left before my reserves are drained." He says to no-one in particular. "Sort out who is the most sorely wounded, and I'll do what I can."

Manzanita

First Post
Gruk

"You have been victorious, cousin. You slew my entire band, without losing a single one of your soldiers. You are powerful. Not like the others. And you found a secret door. One that I & others had passed many times & never saw. I no longer seek conflict with you. I only wish to return to my people, who need my services. If I answer your questions, am I free to go? Today?"

Jarval

Explorer
"If you swear by the gods to do no further harm to myself or my companions, and that your people will let us pass unhindered, then I will free you to return to your tribe." Brioc reassures Gruk.

"I wish you no harm, cousin, and regret having brought so much death to your people. Answer our questions, and you and those of your companions who still live shall go free. But I hold them bound by your word, and the gods will hold you to account. Once myself and my companions have rested for the night, you shall be freed."

Brioc waits for Gruk's reply before relaying it to his friends.

Manzanita

First Post
Gruk

"Ah. Such a promise could be difficult to enforce. Although I am the spiritual leader of my tribe, and my word carries great weight, many owe fealty directly to the king. & even those that don't must respect his power. We must continue to live here after you leave. I will promise to do what I can to avoid further conflict with you. But if you come into direct conflict with the king, then I can only promise to not be around."

Inez Hull

First Post
Ehldannis turns to Brioc, "Ask him then to tell us what we wish to know and then direct us about these catacombs, that way he can ensure that we do not encounter more of his folk or disturb anything sacred to them."

Remove ads