Crossed Paths, Part IV

Despaxas

First Post
Tullius smiles grimly. "More undead, huh? Get that holy symbol out, Dhormium." He looks at the Sphinx and grins at her. "Surprising how all these things you want are always in inaccesible locations, maybe you should have asked us for a potion to shrink you?" Laughing he begins tying down a rope for the descent.

doghead

thotd
Manzanita said:
To Marcus: "Far to the east, two thousand miles, perhaps. But it would be an interesting trip."

Marcus nods in a non-committal way. Two thousand miles! Thats at a long way, even for the Roma. But the sphinx is right about one thing, it would be *interesting*.

Manzanita said:
"Down this shaft lies the final resting spot of the Crimean royalty, as well as their distinguished visitors. There may be some unpleasent undead down there as well, and other guardians. You have rope, I've noticed. The descent should not be too difficult. Please come back out this way. You may exit through the ceiling once you are done, and our deal completed, if you don't want to exit the way you came."

Undead, thinks Marcus glumly, remembering how ineffective his short sword proved against the last lot. Tullius's droll summation of the situation gets a chuckle from Marcus.

"Aye Dhormium, keep that symbol of yours close to hand."

Krilith

First Post
Manzanita said:
She turns and behind her the stone wall suddenly opens into a 60 foot corridor. The Sphinx pads down this hall, glancing back at the party to make sure they're following. The corridor is lit by a dim green light of uncertain origin. At the end of the corridor is a statue of a tall lion-headed man with glowing orange eyes. Behind the statue is a black curtain.

~Dhormium blinks in surprise as she cuts out the corridor in a blink of an eye and comments on it in a friendly manner~ “You are not willing to teach me that trick are you now?”

~The dwarven eyes glimmer that does not even start to compare with the look some connoisseurs have when one of the finest barrels of Ale is opened.

At the remarks of Tullius and Marcus the dwarf merely pats the axe on his side and nods slightly~

ooc: apologies for my absence, I forgot the keep track of the new thread

doghead

thotd
Marcus of the Roma, male human

Marcus grabs the other end of the rope that Tullius is making fast. When Tullius is done, Marcus gives it a couple of tugs to make sure it secure. He's about to toss it down the hole when he stops.

"How do you want to do this? How about we lower the first person down? That way they can keep a hand free for a lantern. And we can haul them up quick like if they run into something unpleasant down there.

"I'm probably the lightest here, and can handle myself in the dark a bit."

Despaxas

First Post
"You want to go first? Fine by me." Tullius smirks while he ties the rope to Marcus. "Better hope I don't fall asleep." He slaps Marcus on the back. "You'll be fine, don't worry."

doghead

thotd
Marcus of the Roma, human male.

"Hey Tullius. If you want to go down first I'm not going to argue with you."

If Tullius wants it so, Marcus hands the rope over to him. Otherwise, he sheds his bag and helps Tullius get the rope tied, making sure that a length is left dangling off the end. To that end he attaches a lantern so it will hang below him as he works his way down the shaft. That done, Marcus makes a quick circuit of the shaft entrance to determine the best way down. He also checks the edge of the shaft to ensure that there are no sharp edges to cut through the rope. Something occures to him as he does so.

"Brioc, if you're coming down with Wolf, it might pay to go next."

"Right. Ready when you are."

ooc: Manzanita, Marcus has 5pp and 20 gp hidden away on him. He'll pitch that in for the sphinx's fee as his Shadowdancer question was of little interest to anyone else.

BTW, what is the other end of the rope attached to?

Manzanita

First Post
On to level 3

There is nothing obvious to attach the rope to. Looks like Marcus is going first, the rope held by the others.

"Good luck." smiles the sphinx enigmaticly.

Marcus finds that the walls of the shaft are strangely stickly. His bare hands stick somewhat. He suspects he could climb down unaided by rope. His boots don't stick in the same manner, only bare skin.

The shaft descends into a large room with with a ceiling about 20 feet high. From here down, he does need the rope. The room is circular, about 80 feet in diameter. In the center, where the rope dangles, is what appears to be an ancient firepit. The floor is blackened and the is evidence of charcoal around the area. Surrounding the firepit area are dozens of wooden benches in various state os falling apart from age and dry rot. In the east and west walls are great bronze doors, 20 feet high and carved with strange ruins.

There is no sign of movement or life (or unlife).

doghead

thotd
Marcus of the Roma, human male.

Marcus grabs the lantern and his sword as his feet hit the ground. He scans the room, moving only on the spot. Once he's sure its clear, he unties himself.

"Looks clear down here," he hisses back up the shaft. "There seems to be some sort of climbing magic on the walls, but there is a 20 foot drop from the ceiling."

He's quite pleased with that deduction. Spending this time with the magic casters is showing unexpected dividends.

He steps away from under the shaft so as not to get landed on and waits for the next person down. He keeps watch on the room as he does so.

Last edited:

Krilith

First Post
~Dhormium gazes over the edge, then eyes the piece of rope suspiciously.~
“Brioc, if you are going to keep standing there I’ll go next. I’ll be able to deal with the undead more easily and can look a bit farted into the shadows.”
~Dhormium starts to pull the end of the rope and when he holds the end of it in his hands he his gaze locks on Brioc. And deciding that his suggestion will not be challenged he starts to tie himself to the rope~

Inez Hull

First Post
Ehldannis looks nervously at the descent and remonstrates over his continued poor choice of spell memorisation.

"Our best climber should go last unless we can find a way to secure the rope. I am the lightest so I should go second to last, although I must say I am tiring of all this trecking up and down chutes."

Remove ads