CRT & Setting Update

D

Dragona Nightsky

Me? Trying to kill you?
devilangel.gif

Thanks for the info, and the site. Will definitly have to sit down and browse that! :)

W

WizO_Siani

Firearms on Oerth

Okay, this has become something a troubling difficulty. The setting of Oerth, World of Greyhawk, does not allow the functioning of any sort of firearm in any way. At all. Period. Not magic combustion, not smoke powder, not flash powder, nor gunpowder. None of it works. For those truly unfotunate people who try to warp it in from elsewhere, priesthood of Murlynd run about actively crucifying people who own things called tech. I believe I mentioned this in an earlier post.

Look guys, if you want guns, you will have to try Juxta or wait for the Modern room. They don't fit the Tavern setting, and they aren't part of the milieu. Please try to stick to the way the setting is laid out.

Thanks guys.

Siani

S

strom griftor

you realize of course, that those who play characters that weild guns will do one of the following:

a> ignore the rule
b>not be aware of the rule, more than likely because they cannot read
c>follow the rule

my money is on 'a' though 'b' is a close second

Jeajea

First Post
WizO Siani said:
That being said, if any of you guys out there are good at maps, preferably with CC2 or similar, let me know. Help is a very good thing.

WizO Siani said:
Anyone care to volunteer graphic skills?

Yes! I even come with my own copy of Campaign Cartographer Two and various add-ons for it. How'm I lookin'? I can maybe help you out a little? (Once my exam season has ended and stuff...)
Drop me an email?

jeajea@blueyonder.co.uk

We can discuss... terms. ;)
Terms like... I demand to be allowed to put "Siani's Lapdog" in my sig! Hah! Wait... no... maybe... "Siani's Official Aide"? :angel:

Jeajea

First Post
Question: Does Oerth use Metric or Imperial measurements such as kilogram or ounces, or an entirely novel system specific to it?

W

WizO_Siani

Cartography

Short answer...Yes. LOL

Thanks Jeajea.

*enrolls you in the Cartographer's Guild, Greyhawk Chapter, Ford Keep Office* Located Dockside for your mapping convenience.

More seriously, thanks for the help. I am more than happy to have you sign on.

Right then, Jejea is going to help me finish some maps for the Oerth Setting, specifically around Ford Keep. So...

One last time...if you want your character's residence or business or both to show on the maps, you need to let me know rather soon. Once the maps are done and in place they will be updated at the usual pace of things around here, so let myself or Jeajea know. Type of house would be nice. As for castles...they are strictly regulated by Greyhawk and can be no closer to the river than six miles save with very special dispensation. The Inquisitor General is one such exception.

Some other projects should pop up soon and I'll be looking for folk to help. There is plenty of room for others with mapping skills, and anyone skilled in descriptive text would be nice as well. I would particularly like to hear from anyone with 3d graphics skills for a Tavern related project.....

Thanks guys

Siani

M

Mazithra-Amakiir

Well, as far as mapping and graphical arts go, I'm on the shallow end of the dream pool, as they say.
However, if you have need of someone to work up some descriptive text/introductions/whatever, feel free to let me know.

S

strom griftor

clearing/arena

I was wondering if there either exists a map of the clearing and the arena, are they at least in the works. Combats are rather inacurrate due to the lack of information regarding the sizes, dementions etc etc. These would prove useful to make the combat scenarios at least a little bit more realistic.

W

WizO_Siani

The arena is Juxta and so not my purview. However, the Clearing is going to be mapped at large scale later on.

For now, the clearing is a very large rectangular area some good distance north of the Tavern along the river. A path runs from the western entrance, through the garden and along the river to the Clearing.

Located in the clearing near the path is a ring of stones....by ancient convention the place where duels are fought. Beyond it is open, rolling land, bounded to the north, east, and south by forest and to the west by the Selintan River. This area is large enough for good sized melees to be held between units.

It is far enough away so misfired spells and so on don't disturb the town of Ford Keep, or the Tavern in its center. Generally speaking, you can't really be thrown from the Clearing and slam into the wall of the Tavern....assuming something did toss you that far, you'd hit a lot of other buildings first.

Hope that helps for now.

Siani

W

WizO_Siani

Pistols and clockwork and stuff

Hiya gang

Right... I've been going over a lot of stuff in the setting of late. Since Ford Keep became known as a port town we have seen pirates and buccaneers and privateers galore, and this is a good things in my opinion. ((MY love of things piratical has nothing to do with this, nope, not one bit ;) ))

This has caused a lot of thought of late....we have some colorful scalawags in the ol' 'Roads of late. One subject, sorely debated over the years, is firearms. Guns. Prepare to revisit said argument from a setting operational point of view.

Gunpowder, smokepowder, flashpowder, what have you, does not work on Oerth. Gunpowder and things that use them are forbidden to the denizens of Oerth. Many of you have gritted their teeth at me over this more than once, but there it is.

However.

Clockwork weapons using a spring to fire a thunderstone are not. Bulky, finicky, exceptionally expensive (think castle values here), and hard to provide anything as 'ammo' that does much. Can't use glass balls...they break when the spring plate hits them. Could use iron or similar metals...but they are heavy and a spring, no matter how ingenious, doesn't have the driving force of gunpowder.

But a thunderstone...small, rounded piece of stone.....that's different. Very short ranged....time consuming to use more than three times in a minute....if you are good. Magic is still faster, more powerful and has greater range.

So why bother?
Pirate/Privateer/Naval vessels with giant crossbows leave a lot of people cold. As does the swaggering pirate with three brace of...hand crossbows? Something odd with this image.

Rules approved for general use in the default setting of Greyhawk are present...though in cannon form.....a 1200 pound cannon. LOL But I think we might try these thunderstone weapons for those of you with swashbuckling types. Sonic stunning effects are nice for incapacitating someone for the old sword or dagger.

I understand some people will decide these are license to have gunpowder and do all manner of odd things. I also understand that most people have unlimited funds. But I think we might give these a try. For those of you who follow settings closely, they are very short ranged....40' max. Double the normal useful range.....very hard to find...currently only one person makes them....a Dwur named Stoner Hammerhand.....Hammerhand Arms.... and hideously expensive. Finally, finicky. Misfires happen...stuff is new.

For the rest......shooting up the Tavern will get a body a fast trip into the river. Remember, they aren't bullets...just small stones that do sonic damage and deafen people like any close clap of thunder can do. *grins* Lest we think we can deafen the entire room....recall that no one is required to respond to any particular action, and there might, just could be, a dampening effect in place for just such an occasion. ;)

Seriously though, those of you who wish to give such things a try feel free. If you don't, no big deal. If they become entirely too disruptive then we'll revisit the idea, but I don't really expect things to be a problem once the initial fashion statement is over.

Yeah, the Calendar. I'll try to get that up by Monday. I know, I know, I'm behind.

Mazithra...I'll probably contact you on text stuff before long. Thanks for volunteering.

There may well be something more coming shortly.

Have fun guys, and enjoy the setting.

Siani

Remove ads