D&D 5E Curse of Strahd - Death House

Wrex

First Post
pally.jpg
The voice was calling out, what was it saying? Nevermind, that girl with the bloody hands may have torn those men apart. Was she a monster, or a victim? He needed answers. The fog was thick, but Rufus could see the dead end ahead. Only a quick glimpse of orange gave any indication of the girl ahead. He stopped in his tracks...a cornered animal was dangerous one.

"It would seem those men had ill intent, and got what filth such as they deserve, but only the guilty flee the scene of a just kill...", Rufus said calmly, bringing his halberd before him, "...and no human renders such carnage with their hands. I am not here for you, but I would have answers."

[sblock=Stats] Level 1 LN Variant Human Paladin
Initiative +0 Speed: 30ft
AC: 16 (Chainmail, Stealth Disadvantage) HP: 12 Saves: Wis +3, Cha +4
Str: 16 (Race) (+3), Dex: 10, Con: 14 (+2), Int: 8 (-1), Wis: 13 (+1), Cha: 14 (+2)
Feats: Pole arm Master (Bonus attack, 1d4 Bludgeoning; attack of opportunity against foes that come into reach)

Class Skills:
Divine Sense
Lay on Hands

Skills: Intimidation +4, Athletics +5, Insight +3, Medicine +3, Perception +3

Equipment:
Armor: Chain Mail
Weapons: Halberd (1d10), Heavy Crossbow (1d10), Mace (1d6)
Other: Holy Symbol (Amulet, large letter I on a chain), Explorers pack: Backpack, Bedroll, Tinderbox, messkit, 10 torches, 10 days rations, water skin, 50ft rope. [/sblock]

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
OOC: [roll0]. What does Girri see?

Girri sees fog and a grey sky. Multi-story buildings line the alleyway, but she doesn't notice any footholds on which to make an escape. She also sees a heavily armored man with a full helm stop at the alley's exit and bring a halberd to bear. The mist swirls around his large frame--seems to penetrate through his skin and seep out through his helm, offering the illusion that he is the one giving it life. Or is it an illusion at all?

A clash of thunder sounds dangerously close, and a light rain joins the mist. A faint call can still be heard in the distance. Is he yelling hello? Or is it help?

[section]Girri froze when the metal-shrouded figure addressed her. He'd alluded to the cause of her trouble last night, causing memory--along with fresh uncertainty--to stir. Her heart accelerated and her hands shook. She squinted down the alley through the fog but couldn't make out the figure's face. His voice said he was a man, confirmed by his height. Uneasiness crept down her limbs, mixing with adrenaline. The urge to run was strong, but there was nowhere to go. "And only those with ill intent hide their face. Take off your helm," she challenged.[/section]

[sblock]Variant Human Bard 1
HP: 8/8
AC: 13
Initiative: +2
Saves: Dexterity, Charisma
Languages: Common, Halfling (race), Vistari (background)
Passive Perception: +4

STR: 8 DEX: 15 CON: 10 INT: 12 WIS: 14 CHA: 15

Spell Save DC: 12
Spell attack modifier: +4
Cantrips (2): light, prestidigitation
1st level (2/2): cure wounds, dissonant whispers, faerie fire, sleep

Bardic Inspiration: (2/2), long rest. Bonus action, choose one creature other than yourself within 60' who can hear you. d6 to an ability check, attack roll, or save w/i 10 min.

Bladed Scarf +4, 1d4+2, finesse, 10 ft reach
Dagger +4, 1d4+2, thrown, finesse, light, 20'

Acrobatics 4
Arcana 3
Insight 4
Investigation 3
Perception 4
Performance 4
Persuasion 4
Sleight of Hand 4
Stealth 4[/sblock]

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Mr. Aldershot looks down at the gruff man lying on the ground.

”Move that thing off if you aren’t going to have it kill me.” The man sat up, risking the wrath of the badger, and looked around in confusion. ”Who are you, and where did you bring me?” Thick fingered hands, strong, warrior's hands, felt around his chest and discovered he no longer was wounded. ”And why, by all that is holy, did you not let me die?”

"I didn't heal you, curiously enough," the small man says, as he makes a hand signal that seems to calm the creature beside him. "I'd thought about it, but you seemed so peaceful. Accepting."

He rubs his tongue over his teeth, and thinks about getting an apple. "Someone stopped you dying here, and if you wish I'll help you find out." He offers a hand, a tiny frail thing next to the massive fist of the man on the ground. "I am Mr. Aldershot."

[sblock=Mr. Aldershot]NG Halfling Druid 1
Init +2; Perception 13 (passive)
AC 17; hp 10 (1d8)
Speed 25 ft

Club (shillelagh), 1d20+5, 1d8+3 bludgeoning (magical)
Sacred Flame, DC 13 Dex or 1d8 radiant, range 60 feet
[/sblock]
OOC: can't get an image to work. Edit: ha ha ha: now it's there but not where I put it. Ugh.

Attachments

• halfling_druid.jpg
    halfling_druid.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 501

Wrex

First Post
"And only those with ill intent hide their face. Take off your helm"
paladin2.jpg

Well, at least she wasn't a snarling animal. Rufus planted the end of his halberd in the ground, blade still upraised and ready. He pulled off his helmet, and even the still fog felt fresh on his shaved head. He held the helm at his side.

"There. Now, my patience grows thin. There is something foul afoot. I know not what, but I intend to find out. I'm already missing a killer miracle worker, and I will not also leave a killer at my back. As I see it, someone deserves death. If it was those men, so be it. If it is you, let us stop wasting each others time and be on with it. While we trade mistrust, more people may die. I won't have that on my conscience".

[section]Girri stilled her shaking hands. She wanted badly to flee, but just then the geas decided to make its will felt. She hadn't realized it could command speech. And movement, apparently. Gritting her teeth in ire and vowing to hex Magistrate Feek next she saw him, Girri strode forward, stopping halfway down the alley she'd run into. She wanted a better look at her accuser, but not too close a look; it wouldn't do to trust him just yet. Steam rose from his shaved pate, mixing with fronds of fog. Girri wiped at the rivulets of water that streamed down her face. She hadn't had a proper bath in some time; the rain in her hair mingled with sweat and stung her eyes. She rubbed at them, trying to focus on the armored man at the alley's mouth. It was no good, she couldn't see properly, not in her current state. "Those two tried to have it off with me last night," she called. "Not with me permission. Slammed me head 'gainst the wall, there. I've a gash to show for it. When I woke, I was here, and them at my feet." She looked around at her surroundings. "Though, I don't know this part of town. Ain't never seen this section of Waterdeep. But I did'na touch them, I swear it."

The next words came very much against her will and were a surprise even as her lips mouthed them. "I'll help you. Find who did it, I mean. We should find the law around here, report their deaths."[/section]

[sblock=Stats]Variant Human Bard 1

Bardic Inspiration: (2/2), long rest. Bonus action, choose one creature other than yourself within 60' who can hear you. d6 to an ability check, attack roll, or save w/i 10 min.

Acrobatics 4
Arcana 3
Insight 4
Investigation 3
Perception 4
Performance 4
Persuasion 4
Sleight of Hand 4
Stealth 4[/sblock]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kasimir

Kasimir stares at the halfling's outstretched hand as if he isn't quite sure what to do with it. Was he expected to shake it or was the halfling trying to help him up? Kasimir makes a rude noise, scoffing at Mr. Aldershot's suggestion.

"Why would I want to do a fool thing like that? You did the right thing, leaving me be." He relents, and swings a meaty hand around to engulf the much smaller one in a surprisingly gentle grip. "Kasimir Labourdine."

Releasing Mr. Aldershot's hand, Kasimir stands up and looks around. "I don't care who healed me, but why here?" He turns to squint at Mr. Aldershot again. "You know the way?" He doesn't clarify the way where but he clearly expects the answer is 'yes'.

[sblock=Kasimir’s Stats]
CG Variant Human Barbarian 1
Init +1; Senses passive Perception 13
AC 13/14 (Unarmored Defense/Dual Wield); hp 14 (1d12+2)
Saves Strength +5, Constitution +4
Speed 30 ft

Str 16 (+3), Dex 13 (+1), Con 15 (+2), Int 8 (-1), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10

Actions
Longsword +5 1d8+3 slashing
(bonus) Dual Wield - Handaxe +5 1d6 slashing
(bonus) Rage 2/2
Javelin +5 1d6+3 piercing; range (30/120)

Feats Dual Wielder
Skills Athletics +5, Intimidate +2, Perception +3, Stealth +3, Survival +3
Languages Common, Abyssal, Orc
Special Wanderer

Gear longsword, handaxe (x2), explorer’s pack, javelin (x4), staff, hunting trap (bear trap), trophy (wolf skin cloak), traveler’s clothes, belt pouch, wooden flute, 8 gp

Wild I rush in, where angels fear to tread. (Trait)
Rebel Your manners, your titles; they mean nothing when the dark comes for you. (Trait)
Abnegation Labourdine honor may be lost, but no else will fall to its curse while I still draw breath. (Ideal)
Outcast I let no one close. (Bond)
Secret I crave and fear the wild power of the Labourdine curse. (Flaw)
[/sblock]

Wrex

First Post
Rufus

paladin2.jpg

Rufus raised an eyebrow. She was tired, injured, and looked ragged; yet she was offering to help. She also seemed as lost as he was. He glanced at her bloody hands, "Even if you didn't touch those men, you were the only one there. Their deaths will fall on you, wrongfully or not. You should take care until you better know what is going on. If what you say is true, I say let their deaths languish in anonymity. The world is better for their deaths". Either this woman was more capable than she seemed, or she had a brutal guardian angel. Either way, he believed her actions just. She was an enemy, at least not at the moment.

He put his helmet back on; "There is a cry on the wind, and the rest of the city is silent. Something is definitely wrong, and where I head will likely be dangerous. You may accompany me if you wish, but you may be better served by returning home until this dark day passes."

Rufus headed back down the alley, looking for an exit, listening carefully for the cry on the wind.

[section]Girri frowned. Offer to help?! Fetch the law?! Istus's tiny prick! Where the devil did that come from?! Feek would answer to her, she'd see to it. Her feet shuffled forward, moving her out of the alley. She stiffled the urge to retch when she passed the dead men with their yawning throats.

Stooping hurriedly to grab her kobza and her pack, Girri dashed her hands in a nearby rain puddle. Some of the blood washed off, some mixed with mud. Her hands came away brown, her nailbeds limned black. Girri shrugged. Better than blood. She set off after the man, determined to find someone to report the deaths to.[/section]

[sblock=Stats]Variant Human Bard 1

Acrobatics 4
Arcana 3
Insight 4
Investigation 3
Perception 4
Performance 4
Persuasion 4
Sleight of Hand 4
Stealth 4[/sblock]

Remove ads