• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Curse of Strahd 'Revamped' Boxed Collector's Edition

If you're in the market for a revamped (geddit?) edition of Curse of Strahd (which is my favourite of all the D&D adventures so far) in a coffin-shaped box with additional material, you're in luck! This boxed set is coming out in October and costs $99.99. There's a whole bunch of stuff included: Updated softcover of the adventure itself, including errata and presumably some of the other...

If you're in the market for a revamped (geddit?) edition of Curse of Strahd (which is my favourite of all the D&D adventures so far) in a coffin-shaped box with additional material, you're in luck!

cos_box.png

This boxed set is coming out in October and costs $99.99.

There's a whole bunch of stuff included:
  • Updated softcover of the adventure itself, including errata and presumably some of the other adjustments to Vistani talked about recently.
  • A short 20-book of monsters called Creatures of Horror.
  • Double sided poster map of Barovia and Castle Ravenloft.
  • A Tarokka deck and 8-page booklet.
  • Handouts for players.
  • A dozen 'postcards' from Barovia.
  • A DMs Screen.
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 7.37.59 PM.png

Updates to the original adventure include errata, minor tweaks, and sections of text which have been identified as problematic regarding the Vistani.

IGN has a video looking inside the box.

jasper

Rotten DM
Soft Cover barf. I made my own dm screen. And most current DM Screens I dislike. I used to the old 1E with Player information on the back. I have the deck so That is duplicate. The hand out is nice but the cursive is hard to read. The Post cards are interesting but I wish you could buy them separately. I bleeping HATE HATE HATE double sided maps. If they separated the maps, I could hide the castle map and hang the Player’s Map.

This product has nothing for me in it. Soft cover? I have the hard cover. Tarroka deck? Already got mine. A DM screen? I have no use for these as I rolled on the open for all to see my legendary luck... The maps! Already printed on high res photography paper. Nope, nothing for me in there. And I did buy Tyrany of dragon alternate art book...

I want to know if we will see the return of the demiplane of the dread, with or without possible retcons.

And I suspect this a total reboot and Strand's story is more complex we could imagine, even he has been victim of a supernatural conspiration, but this doesn't mean to be innocent, he bit the hook because he was a predator. What happened to the real Barovia in the material plane? What about Sithicus and Kalidnay?

My theory is we will see more modules (House on Gryphon Hill, Bleak House: Death of Rudolph Van Ritchen and the grand conjuction) but not the world guide yet. Maybe new dark domains are added, but about someones out the demiplane (they were in 4th Ed.). This last would allow something more open, sandbox, flexible, for example to add exotic PC races or classes.

What do you thing about to "revamp" the occult classes from Pathfinder for Ravenloft (medium, mesmerizer..)?

Paramount Pictures can produce horror movies, for example Overlord(2018) or Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow. I would bet after the D&D movie Paramount will want to produce an action-live movie based in Ravenloft. Enteraiment One also has got some horror movies, hasn't it?

The Dark Powers are strange, and they could create new domains based in famous horror franchises, for example Resident Evil or Evil Dead.

Any word about the return of Innistrad? At least as a serie for Netflix after the final season of Castlevania.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This product has nothing for me in it. Soft cover? I have the hard cover. Tarroka deck? Already got mine. A DM screen? I have no use for these as I rolled on the open for all to see my legendary luck... The maps! Already printed on high res photography paper. Nope, nothing for me in there. And I did buy Tyrany of dragon alternate art book...

Same for me here, but I think their target audience is people who haven't bought it yet but keep hearing it is good.

More of a cool present idea for teenage family, maybe.

Same for me here, but I think their target audience is people who haven't bought it yet but keep hearing it is good.

More of a cool present idea for teenage family, maybe.
Even then... I am the kind who buys two of almost everybook. An alternate art deluxe cover would have had me buying the book in no time. Well... maybe the alternate cover will be the second product they refered to? (crossing my fingers there...)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I've gone with the rhymes with witch version my whole life so I guess I won't switch now. At least with Strahd's name you might have a plausible excuse in that he is a foreigner in Ravenloft and conquered it centuries ago. Having a mishmash of naming conventions makes some sense at least for the von. And maybe by the time he was Zarovich naming conventions just had fixed surnames instead of whatever the father's first name was.
It gets weirder though, because Slavic patronymics usually comes after the first name and before the surname.

Of course, language is super mutable, so it’s certainly not implausible for a name like Von Zarovich to have arisen naturalistically. But I like my alternative name. I have a whole backstory in my head as to where it came from, with Zoran Von Stroud marrying Galina Ravenovna and adopting his wife’s family’s patronymic tradition for his sons. I also like that the change means the eponymous Count must have named the county he conquered after himself instead of after his father, which feels very like him to me. Especially since in my take, King Zaron saw that his elder son Barov was more concerned with conquest than leadership, and was planning to pass him over as heir in favor of Sergei.

MGibster

Legend
Of course, language is super mutable, so it’s certainly not implausible for a name like Von Zarovich to have arisen naturalistically. But I like my alternative name. I have a whole backstory in my head as to where it came from, with Zoran Von Stroud marrying Galina Ravenovna and adopting his wife’s family’s patronymic tradition for his sons.

If you're enjoying it then you're doing it right!

Remove ads

Remove ads