• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Custom Monster review

derickmoore25

First Post
[FONT=&quot]Living Spell, Cloudkill
A living spell created in a freak accident[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Armor Class: 15
Hit Points: 50
Speed: 40 Feet[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
15 (+2) 12 (+1) 15 (+2) 0 (-5) 12 (+1) 15 (+2)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Damage Immunities: poison damage, psychic, and bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage from non-magical weapons[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Condition Immunities: blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Blindsight 60 Feet
Languages: –
Challenge: CR 3 (700XP)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Gaseous Form. The living spell takes up its entire space. Other creatures can enter the space, but a creature that does so is subjected to the living spell’s Engulf and has disadvantage on the saving throw. Creatures inside the living spell can be seen but have total cover. A creature within 5 feet of the living spell can take an action to pull a creature or object out of the living spell. Doing so requires a successful DC 12 Strength check, and the creature making the attempt takes 8 (2d8) poison damage. The living spell can hold only one Large creature or up to four Medium or smaller creatures inside it at a time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wind Susceptible. A strong wind of 10 mph or greater inflicts 10 (3d6) per round to the living spell.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Engulf. The living spell moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Large or smaller creatures’ spaces. Whenever the living spell enters a creature’s space, the creature must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the Spell. A creature that chooses not to be pushed suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw. On a failed save, the spell enters the creature’s space, and the creature takes 8 (2d8) poison damage and is engulfed. The engulfed creature can’t breathe, is restrained, and takes 21 (5d8) poison damage at the start of each of the living spell’s turns. When the living spell moves, the engulfed creature moves with it. An engulfed creature can try to escape by taking an action to make a DC 12 Strength check. On a success, the creature escapes and enters a space of its choice within 5 feet of the cube.[/FONT]

derickmoore25

First Post
Good point i was designing it for a large foggy area didn't think of that. I based it on the living spell template from eberron where they do the same effect as the spells. I will look at weakening it.

Inglorin

Explorer
[FONT="]Engulf. The living spell moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Large or smaller creatures’ spaces. Whenever the living spell enters a creature’s space, the creature must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the Spell. A creature that chooses not to be pushed suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw. On a failed save, the spell enters the creature’s space, and the creature takes 8 (2d8) poison damage and is engulfed. The engulfed creature can’t breathe, is restrained, and takes 21 (5d8) poison damage at the start of each of the living spell’s turns. When the living spell moves, the engulfed creature moves with it. An engulfed creature can try to escape by taking an action to make a DC 12 Strength check. On a success, the creature escapes and enters a space of its choice within 5 feet of the cube.[/FONT]

This is much, much harder than the Cloudkill Spell itself, isn't it?

CK gives you a CON Save against the poison. The LS gives you one chance with a DEX Save and then engulfes you and deals its damage. Regardless of me holding my breath (like in the spell). Also: Escaping from the LS lets me teleport for some reason? I would remove the restrained condition and let the creature move out out the cloud at its own speed.

What happens if the DEX save is successful but there is no place the creature can be pushed to? He should still get engulfed, but the LS doesn't say so.

Inglorin

Explorer
Totally forgot to mention its size but i have it as same size as the spell.

Really? Then "one large or 4 medium" creatures is an extremly low capacity. The LS is several steps up from Large with a radius of 20 ft. Is this 64 5-ft. squares? What happens if the LS moves into a space with a creature that would put it above its capacity?

BTW, how can I, standing on the east side of the LS, grab someone just engulfed on the west side? The description doesn't mention, that I have to adjacent to the creature I try to fee. Only that I have to be adjacent to the cloud?

derickmoore25

First Post
This is much, much harder than the Cloudkill Spell itself, isn't it?

CK gives you a CON Save against the poison. The LS gives you one chance with a DEX Save and then engulfes you and deals its damage. Regardless of me holding my breath (like in the spell). Also: Escaping from the LS lets me teleport for some reason? I would remove the restrained condition and let the creature move out out the cloud at its own speed.

What happens if the DEX save is successful but there is no place the creature can be pushed to? He should still get engulfed, but the LS doesn't say so.

Living Spell, Cloudkill
Large Cloud, Unaligned
A living spell created in a freak accident
Armor Class: 15
Hit Points: 50
Speed: 40 Feet
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
15 (+2) 12 (+1) 15 (+2) 0 (-5) 12 (+1) 15 (+2)
Damage Immunities: poison damage, psychic, and bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage from non-magical weapons
Condition Immunities: blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Blindsight 60 Feet
Languages: –
Challenge: CR 3 (700XP)
Gaseous Form. The living spell takes up its entire space. Other creatures can enter the space, but a creature that does so is subjected to the living spell’s Engulf and has disadvantage on the saving throw. Creatures inside the living spell can be seen. A creature within 5 feet of the living spell can take an action to pull a creature or object, within 5 feet, out of the living spell. Doing so causes the creature to take 8 (2d8) poison damage. The living spell can hold only one Large creature or up to four Medium or smaller creatures inside it at a time.
Wind Susceptible. A strong wind of 10 mph or greater inflicts 10 (3d6) per round to the living spell.
Engulf. The living spell moves up to its speed. While doing so, it can enter Large or smaller creatures’ spaces. Whenever the living spell enters a creature’s space, the creature must make a DC 15 Dexterity saving throw. On a successful save, the creature can choose to be pushed 5 feet back or to the side of the Spell. A creature that chooses not to be pushed, or has no safe space to be pushed into, suffers the consequences of a failed saving throw. On a failed save, the spell enters the creature’s space, and the creature takes 8 (2d8) poison damage and is engulfed. The engulfed creature takes 21 (5d8) poison damage or half as much on a successful Con Saving throw (DC15) at the start of each of the living spell’s turns. When the living spell moves, the engulfed creature moves with it. An engulfed creature can escape by moving out of the Living Spell.

derickmoore25

First Post
Really? Then "one large or 4 medium" creatures is an extremly low capacity. The LS is several steps up from Large with a radius of 20 ft. Is this 64 5-ft. squares? What happens if the LS moves into a space with a creature that would put it above its capacity?

BTW, how can I, standing on the east side of the LS, grab someone just engulfed on the west side? The description doesn't mention, that I have to adjacent to the creature I try to fee. Only that I have to be adjacent to the cloud?

20x20 would be 16 squares. I resposted it which fixes the grabbing people issue, now i want to leave the what happens when to many creatures enter it up to the dm personally i will probably remove the limit when i run it.

Remove ads