• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D&D 3.5/Eberron] A Quick One While He's Away

Knight Otu

First Post
Remembering how well the spell worked with the spider thing, Flawed casts True Strike, then charges in with its axe (in the next round). It will move closer before casting the spell if it is necessary.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
OOC: Move coming a short while later this evening/tonight. I had to go into work unexpectedly this morning, which took up some time. I swear, my life's getting normal. :p

Old Fezziwig

Initiative
Half-elf caster, celestial giant bee 17
Large, four-armed sahuagin 16a
Gannon 16b (roll of 15, +1 weapon, lower Dex than Sahuagin)
Plonk 13 (roll of 12, +1 Init)
Rawhide 10 (roll of 8, +2 Init)
Flawed 9 (roll of 4, +5 Init)
Starbuck, De Vere 8

Round 6
The elf finishes casting, and a giant silver and gold bee appears at the giant's left flank. Buzzing harshly, the bee stings the scaly monster and pulls out, its stinger left in the sahuagin. The bee falls to the deck, twitching and buzzing horribly.

Having no need to take care of the bee, the sahuagin turns its attention to De Vere, dropping its trident and digging into the captain. When it has finished, the captain lays on the deck in a bloody heap. Gannon can barely duck one of the claws as he moves into place.

Cursing, Plonk fires again, missing again [roll of 3 on d20, +2 ranged, +1 bless, firing into melee -4, total 2, miss]. Unaware of the bolt flying harmlessly past his ear, the shifter attacks again, looking to hamstring the sahuagin [roll of 18 on d20, +5 melee, +1 bless, -5 called shot/legs, total 19, hit; -10 movement penalty, 13 hp damage], slicing deep into the monsters thigh and through its muscles. Flawed, behind the main melee, casts true strike and prepares to charge.

Starbuck drops to his knees to see if he can't stabilize De Vere. He can't.

Conditions
bless, 13 rounds remaining
De Vere, unconscious and bleeding heavily, near death

OOC: Just an FYI, I used the Book of Iron Might rules for maneuvers for Rawhide's attempt at hamstringing. If you have this book, consider those rules to be fair game. Also, I love the idea of a celestial giant bee, but I'm pretty bummed out about bees dying after successfully stinging someone. :p At least it's realistic.

Attachments

• The Unexpected Pt. 2 Rnd 3.jpg
    The Unexpected Pt. 2 Rnd 3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 75

MadMaxim

First Post
Gannon is terrified as he watches the giant sahuagin almost tear De Vere into tiny pieces. Getting a hold of himself, he says a prayer to the Traveler while trying to avoid the same fate at the hands of the fish monster.

OOC: Gannon converts a detect magic spell into a cure minor wounds spell and tries to stabilize De Vere. He casts it defensively to avoid getting hit by the sahuagin. Afterwards, he'll turn his attention to the sahuagin and smash it with his heavy mace.

Ashy

First Post
Howling in bloodlust and fury, the shifter yanks his bloody axe free, spins and then chops at the creature's other leg. Looking to fell the best like a great, scaly tree, Rawhide again aims for the hamstring.

Old Fezziwig

Notes/Continuity: I've retroactively had Rawhide make a five-foot step after his last attack to allow Flawed his charge on a meta-game level and to give him a better angle on the other hammy for in-game reasons. I also forgot to move Starbuck on the last map.

Initiative
Half-elf caster 17
Large, four-armed sahuagin 16a
Gannon 16b (roll of 15, +1 weapon, lower Dex than Sahuagin)
Plonk 13 (roll of 12, +1 Init)
Rawhide 10 (roll of 8, +2 Init)
Flawed 9 (roll of 4, +5 Init)
Starbuck, De Vere 8

Round 7
You all notice that the Unexpected's sitting a little bit deeper in the water...

The half-elf draws a bow and moves up along the port bulkhead, preparing to fire at the sahuagin next round. The sahuagin, grimacing in pain, turns its attention to Rawhide, hitting the shifter twice with its claws, once in the shoulder [8 hp damage] and then across the stomach [14 hp damage]. Gannon's spell goes off successfully [Concentration against DC 15, roll of 10, +6 skilled, total 16, success], and De Vere's breathing becomes less ragged, and his wounds don't bleed quite so much.

Up on the quarterdeck, Plonk steps forward, and, taking advantage of the space where De Vere fell, shoots at the sea-ogre, missing again [roll of 4 on d20, +2 ranged, +1 bless, firing into melee -4, clearer shot +2, total 5, miss]. Howling, Rawhide attacks the creature's other hamstring [roll of 1 on d20, automatic miss], missing wildly. As he finishes his follow through, he can hear Flawed steamrolling through the space just to his left, axe flashing in the dawn light. Before it can attack, however, the warforged rushes directly into one of the sahuagin's talons [7 damage].* Shaking off the damage, it continues through and swings wildly at the sahuagin, hitting the beast in the chest [roll of 8 on d20, +2 melee, +1 bless, +2 charge, +20 true strike, total 33, hit; 5 damage].

Starbuck stands up and begins to drag De Vere away from the melee.

Conditions
bless, 12 rounds remaining
De Vere, stabilized
Flawed, 10/17 hp, -2 AC from charge
Rawhide, 5/27 hp

*Note/Rules: According to the PHB, a charge does not provoke an AoO, but I'm assuming that movement through a threatened square would provoke one as usual.

Edit: Forgot Flawed's true strike, fixed last round.

Attachments

• The Unexpected Pt. 2 Rnd 4.jpg
    The Unexpected Pt. 2 Rnd 4.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
This is not looking good! says Plonk, as he sees the ship sinking and his shots going all over the place. He loads another bolt and fires again, hoping that it'll strike true this time.

MadMaxim

First Post
"I agree, Plonk." Gannon says while trying to get an opportunity to strike at the sahuagin with his heavy mace. "Unless we get him while on the ship, I'm afraid he'll tear us apart in the water. But once we get him down, we'll have to abandon the ship!"

Remove ads