• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3.5, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (Full)

Harvey

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
PS: Just so I know you guys haven't lost interest/forgotten/what-have-you, can I have a roll call of everybody? And you guys who are remaking, a status report would be nice, and an estimated time of completion if possible. Thanks.

I am here and still going with my paladin/fighter/aglarondan griffonrider. No changes for quite a while...

Krug

Newshound
Oops sorry. I mean fine-tuning. Removing that one extra feat and so on. You said something about having extra eqpt from the Player's Guide or something... so just working that in and making the minor adjustments to gold and weight.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Krug: Ah! I get it now. I thought you were talking about the core PHB, sorry. The Player's Guide to Faerun is the 3.5 update to FRCS and it has done some pretty big changes to the region system. The regional feats are a tad different and the equipment changed, too. You need to select a region where your dwarf came. In case you don't have a clue (do you have the FRCS?) I'll list the standard dwarven regions here, from the Player's Guide:

Code:
[B]                          Automatic
Region:                   Languages:       Feats:          Bonus Equipment:[/B]
The Galena Mountains      Damaran,         Dauntless,      (A) Heavy pick* or dwarven
                          Dwarven          Foe Hunter      urgrosh*, or (B) Chain mail*
                                           (goblin),
                                           Thunder Twin,
                                           Tireless

The Great Glacier         Dwarven, Uluik   Axethrower,     (A) Light pick* or shortspear, or
                                           Oral History,   (B) Riding dog and hide armor*
                                           Survivor

The Spine of the World    Dwarven          Bullheaded, Foe (A) Warhammer* or dwarven waraxe*,
                                           Hunter (orc)    or (B) Breastplate and 2 potions of
                                           Oral History,   [i]cure light wounds[/i]
                                           Thunder Twin

The Sword Coast           Dwarven,         Forgeheart,     (A) Hand axe* or greataxe*, or
                          Illuskan         Mercantile      (B) Five 50-gp gold bars
                                           Background,
                                           Metallurgy,
                                           Thunder Twin

Turmish                   Dwarven, Turmic  Dauntless,      (A) Splint mail and heavy steel
                                           Silver Palm,    shield*, or (B) Five 50-gp gold bars
                                           Stoneshaper,
                                           Thunder Twin

Underdark (Old Shanatar)  Dwarven,         Azerblood,      (A) Heavy mace* or dwarven urgrosh*,
                          Undercommon      Batrider,       or (B) Chainmail*
                                           Dauntless,
                                           Thunder Twin,
                                           Tireless

Waterdeep                 Dwarven          Cosmopolitan,   (A) Chain shirt* and 50gp, or
                                           Silver Palm,    (B) Heavy mace* or battleaxe*
                                           Thug, Thunder
                                           Twin

If you're curious about any of the feats, there's a giant list of them here. Also, I only included the regions for Shield Dwarves. (That's the basic PHB dwarf, there are actually a few others). If this isn't enough to work with, tell me and we'll find a way to get you a region without me typing the entire book up. :p

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
I was thinking of getting a familiar for Faelar. His wizard level is only 2, so the familiar will be very limited in its abilities. Since Faelar took the Alertness feat, and since the familiar can't deliver touch spells, there's really no reason for the familiar to stick by him. But Faelar would get the skill bonus and empathic link if the familiar remains within a mile.

My first thought was a Tressym, the Faerunian flying cat. I don't think it gives any skill bonuses, but it is naturally intelligent (Int 12), has bonuses to hide and move silently, and moves well - 30 ft., fly 50 ft. (good).

A raven would also be good because they can talk. +3 Appraise.

An owl is another good choice. +3 spot in shadowy illumination. It's a nocturnal animal, so maybe it can spend its days sleeping and act as a guard animal at night, waking Faelar through his empathic link (sort of like an alarm spell). I figure this would work because the owl won't be needed during the day. As a night sentry, it has low-light vision and gets a +8 bonus on spot. And Faelar has many ranks in spot and listen, so the owl will be a very alert guard animal. It's also very forest-y.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
silentspace: I like the owl the best, mostly because of its 'forest-y' nature. To be honest, the familiar won't be good for much other than flavor, since, as you say, its powers are extremely limited at level 2. Because Raena has a Ring of Sustenance, she won't need to sleep much at all, so a night watch is pretty much accounted for. You might consider a hawk? I remember them being basically the owl only diurnal. And then it would be awake during the day time where it could be better interacted with (than an owl, that is. Eg. "Faelar pokes the sleeping bird on his shoulders. It hoots and gives him a glare before burying its head back in its feathers.")

P.S. This is just me, but I've always had a weird attraction to weasels and ferrets. They're so fuzzy and long, and so graceful, running around. Yum...

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
Hawks and owls are also on the druid companion list, which seems to fit Faelar's druidish bent. Weasels should be on there too, but I don't think they are.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I saw some of Beastmaster series on TV once or twice. I vaguely remember a ferret (or other long rodent) that was intelligent and... some guy told it to go do something and... it wriggled under something. It's all very cloudy.

silentspace

First Post
I like the hawk a lot. A whole lot. But I think I'll go with ferret/weasel. It's probably the only familiar that could be actually useful to Faelar - the bonus on reflex saves could come in handy. Say if they were to encounter any dragons or anything like that. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads