D&D 3E/3.5 D&D 3.5 Self-Calculating Character Sheet (Excel 2000)

RiTz21

Explorer
arrowhen said:
It might have been nice to mention that it's shareware.

You're the 2nd person to mention this - I'am not sure what "Shareware" means since you can use the sheet directly to create ANY CORE class... and print them out from now on to Eternity... with no time delay/limits.

I though shareware meant that you HAVE to pay if you use it - which is not the case here (to my knowledge at least...)

I'am confused.
Can you explain how the Sheet is Shareware ?

arrowhen

First Post
"Donationware is computer software given away under the condition that anyone using the software make a donation to the authors or to some third party such as a charity. Because the donation is optional, donationware may also be freeware or fall into some other category."
--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donationware

If you have to pay to get the full functionality it's shareware.

RiTz21

Explorer
arrowhen said:
"Donationware is computer software given away under the condition that anyone using the software make a donation to the authors or to some third party such as a charity. Because the donation is optional, donationware may also be freeware or fall into some other category."

I will consider this and probably use your suggestion.

Thank you !!

Elephant

First Post
arrowhen said:

I would class it as crippleware, actually, with shareware simply being software that you can install and try before you're expected to pay for it.

That said, kudos to RiTz21 for keeping so much functionality in the free version. I do really like the spreadsheet.

RiTz21 said:
Deity - Goto the "Customize" worksheet, find the "Deity" section, and type in your Own Deity - it can be any name you wish) - once done, that new Deity will be available in the DropDown list on the "Front" worksheet.
In other words you have NO limits to the new stuff you can customize/create...

Thanks for the help. I had been trying to alter the data tables directly.

RiTz21

Explorer
Elephant said:
I would class it as crippleware, actually, with shareware simply being software that you can install and try before you're expected to pay for it.

Crippleware eh ? hehe sounds nasty !
I have been working on the sheet for a long time now - and I have tried adding special functionality so that people who Donate would have a reason to do so - read incentive...

I estimate the number of downloads to 4,000 to 5,000 at this time, and yet very, very few people have helped me out by Donating.

Hence, the more I think about it, the more I like the *shareware* Idea - I have 2 options at the moment:
a) keep the sheet as it it, but with a Shareware tag - and all "advanced" features would be for those who contribute
b) Split the SHeet in 2 copies - a "Core" one which would be totally free, but lacking the more advanced stuff - while the 2nd one, only to the contributors, with FULL features & automatic updates...

I'am yet undecided which way to go... !!

Elephant said:
That said, kudos to RiTz21 for keeping so much functionality in the free version. I do really like the spreadsheet.

Thank you ! Indeed that is why I considered this sheet "free" and not "shareware" (98% of my work is Free) - but the Administrator who bumped this message OFF the main forum does'nt seem to agree with me...

Elephant said:

You're quite welcome !

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
It's nice but $15 is pretty high. Yes, it took a lot of work, but that's a lot of money for a char sheet. You might want to consider lowering the price and putting it up for sale at RPGNow.com.
I still haven't figured out how to use the eqpt but will try to tackle it again later.

RiTz21

Explorer
Krug said:
It's nice but $15 is pretty high. Yes, it took a lot of work, but that's a lot of money for a char sheet. You might want to consider lowering the price and putting it up for sale at RPGNow.com.

$15 seems a fair price to me. Of course some will find it "high" but I actually received many comments to the contrary: Those who purchased it said it saved them alot of time, and was well worth their money. Of course, I think that it's a good deal considering ALL the features the sheet has - AND it keeps growing - but I'am certainly biased on this subject. I think the sheet is probably more interesting to new players, who don't have to 'know' all the rules to create a character. But even so, I can't imagine returning to 'do it yourself from scratch' method of character creation with D&D3.5 - specially with my Bard/Ranger !! :)

I went to the web site you suggested (thanks BTW!!) and I could not find any Sheet to compare prices. I would not compare this Excel sheet with the PDF/document sheets found on that site - It would'nt be a fair comparison... ;) (and I really think that guy's comment in my signature is right on target...)

Krug said:
I still haven't figured out how to use the eqpt but will try to tackle it again later.

Do you mean Equipment ?
To define new pieces of equipment, you simply goto the "Customize" worksheet and Add any NEW piece of equipment you wish. Include the Weight of it in the appropriate column.

Once that's done, goto the Front worksheet and simply add your new piece of equipment to your Equipment (Gear) list - Your total weight carried will then include it !

Lemme know if you need more information/details.

RiTz21

Explorer
Version 4.10 is now ONLINE !!
New features include:

* Added combat bonus for Multiple-Attacks (i.e. +12/+7/+2)
* Added ability to define multiple attacks modes for the same weapon (Weight ignored for same weapon)
* Added ECL adjustment (Effective Character Level) for all Races !!
* Added ability to define 2 custom cleric domains
* Now Compatible with SRD (System Reference Document) (Let me know if I missed something!)

Cheers !

RiTz21

Pasus Nauran

First Post
Nice sheet. This actually has one of the cleanest layouts I've ever seen in an Excel character sheet. How long did it take you to create?

I'm curious: what kind of reception have you had regarding payments and donations? I'm thinking of setting up for donations regarding my character sheet, but I'm somewhat wary of the concept that having recieved payment of some sort I would be expected to provide support and updates. I do these things anyway, but don't want to feel forced into doing it.

Good luck on the shareware concept, BTW

Last edited:

Remove ads